Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got back from seeing Grandaddy and Saves the Day

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-08-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, if this wasn't the most mismatched tour I've ever seen. Didn't seem like either band's fans cared at all about the other band. Half the crowd looked bored during Saves the Day's set and half the crowd left before Grandaddy came on. (Most of those that left appeared to be under 20 yrs old.)

As for the show...The Fire Theft put on a very solid opening performance. Sounded even better than they do on CD. Odd...they were kind of the band that united fans of the two headliners. Grandaddy fans may not like Saves the Day, and Saves the Day fans might not like Grandaddy, but everyone could agree that the Fire Theft was pretty cool.

Saves the Day was good for what they do, but I'm not into them. The teenieboppers in the crowd sure ate 'em up. I will say that I think Saves the Day are responsible for the tour. They mentioned how awesome Grandaddy was after almost every song. They also seemed to be striving for the indie cred Grandaddy's got. They seemed to be tired of playing mall punk, but their fans didn't want their more indie sounding stuff...they wanted Blink 183.

Grandaddy were excellent and played to an extremely enthusiastic crowd. The set leaned very heavily on Sumday material, but they threw in excellent versions of Hewlett's Daughter and AM 180, among others. Judging from the reception given Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake by the audience, that song could "break" Grandaddy. It really did kick a ton of ass live. Overall, I was really surprised by the power Grandaddy had live. I was also happy that their crowd wasn't as "indie-cool" as most bands of their type. Lots of dancing and cheering from the crowd.

While the tour seemed a bit odd, I recommend seeing it. Grandaddy and The Fire Theft were wonderful, and if you like Saves the Day, you won't be disappointed. They're not a bad band...just not my thing.

(By the way, for any Grandaddy fans, I picked up a disc at the show by The Arm of Roger called The Ham and Its Lily. I recommend it. It's Grandaddy recording under another name. According to the merch guy, they made it on their own dime while recording The Sophtware Slump for the sole purpose of horrifying their record label by giving it to them as the "new Grandaddy album." The disc is hilarious and plays like a bad imitation of a Grandaddy record. The songs are very tongue in cheek and have titles like I Love Lo-Fi Recordings, Band Synergy (A Peek Inside the Magic) and Down with the Animals. The P*ssy Song had me on the floor laughing...)

Last edited by Gdrlv; 03-08-04 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to see this show later this month. And while I kinda like Granddaddy I am really just going to see Saves The Day. And they aren't mall punk
Old 03-08-04, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about going to this tour when it rolls through Baltimore. I don't know if I could sit through Saves the Day though. I can't stand the singers voice. BTW, I heard this is a co-headlining tour. Is Grandaddy and Saves the Day swithing who plays last.
Old 03-08-04, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by zak52
I was thinking about going to this tour when it rolls through Baltimore. I don't know if I could sit through Saves the Day though. I can't stand the singers voice. BTW, I heard this is a co-headlining tour. Is Grandaddy and Saves the Day swithing who plays last.
Not sure if they're switching or not. I was surprised when Saves the Day came out before Grandaddy though...seemed like a lot of people in the crowd were. Guessing that Saves the Day might go on first to let the little kids get home before curfew.
Old 04-15-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw the show a few weeks back and Grandaddy was excellent. I got there in time to see them and the other bands had already played.

They were selling the Arms of Roger disc, but I did get a few others I hadn't heard.