Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

YES!!! NIN to release new album and tour shortly!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 08:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nine Inch Nails are at work on their fourth album, Bleed Through, in Los Angeles. Trent Reznor and Co. hope to finish it by summer and release it later this year.
"It's more song-oriented [than 1999's The Fragile]," says NIN mastermind Reznor. "It's much more lean. It's going to be twelve good punches in the face -- no fillers, no instrumentals, just straight to the point."

Rick Rubin (Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash) is producing the record. "It's kind of a new vibe this time around," says Reznor. "Different people, different approach.

While Bleed may be more streamlined than its predecessors, namely the expansive concept records 1994's The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, it won't exactly be light fare. "It's a complicated concept record," Reznor says, "but reduced to just simple songs. It's not epic in its scope. It's minimal and a bit brutal."

NIN plan to hit the road in the next few months to preview the new material. "It's been forever since we played," Reznor says. "I'm reenergized right now, my life's in order, and I'm ready to combat the shitty music that's out right now."

from rolling stone.com
Old 02-24-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sssssswwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt!!!!!!!

any word on the "tapeworm project"
Old 02-24-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
damn, where does rick rubin find time. between the new beastie boys, the new slipknot, and the new system of a down, that guys is one busy mo-fo.
Old 02-24-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This sounds promising. I've been waiting for Reznor to go 'back to basics' even though with him you could argue there never were any basics.

He certainly has his work cut out for him with all the mallcore fake-angst in the marketplace.
Old 02-24-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Not sure how I feel about Rubin producing Trent [no slam intended against Rubin], but i'm definitely there when this comes out.

Let's hope we get DVD video comp too! My VHS is worn out..
Old 02-24-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to 5 months ago, but still exciting. I'm slightly dissapointed that Rick Rubin is involved at all, but as probably the biggest NIN fan you'll meet, there's no way I can't be excited!

Closure was completed about 2 years ago, but unofficially without Trent's input, therefore it was shelved indefinitely, until he decides to release it. By the way he spoke of it, he wants nothing to do with that time period in his life, but I'm sure it will make it's way out some time. Personally I'd rather just get an all new dvd with videos, including post Halo 12 ones and any possible new ones. Having Broken officially released would be neat too, but I can deal with my home made VCD as it's not that important.
Old 02-24-04, 11:09 PM

cool.
Old 02-25-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's also doing the soundtrack for Doom III. His Quake 1 soundtrack was just amazing, so I'm stoked.

- David Stein
Old 02-25-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, he jumped off the Doom III project because he wanted to work on his album and the toru.

Also, the latest unofficial word from SPIN magazine is that Trent Reznor has pulled all of his music from Doom 3 and has quit the project. PlanetDoom.com has speculated that another former NIN member, Chris Vrenna (who worked on Alice) will be replacing Trent, but there is no official word from id on either of these rumors
Unofficial, but still
Old 02-25-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's pretty official that he's not doing the music, but unofficial that Vrenna is doing it. He would be the next best thing though, as he is an amazing artist/producer as well. I believe he is doing American McGees Oz as well.
Old 02-25-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bring it on in 5.1!
Old 02-25-04, 09:12 AM

yeah Trent opted out from doing Doom 3, guess he didn't have the time. But Vrenna is picking it up, so that can be just as cool. He did a good job on Alice.
Old 02-25-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is anyone feeling like Rick Rubin damn near produces every third record that comes out.

Johnny Cash, Jay-Z, Trent Reznor etc.
Old 02-25-04, 12:25 PM

It sounds like to me that the album is going back towards a 'Broken' sound, which is my favorite NiN era.
Old 02-25-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LivingINClip
It sounds like to me that the album is going back towards a 'Broken' sound, which is my favorite NiN era.
After the Fragility 2.0 tour settled down, trent was asked what the next record would sound like, and he basically said "down and dirty and very visceral." Definitly sounds like Broken era to me, which is totally cool with me. I don't think he needs Rubins help though. That kind of bums me out, I just have to keep my faith in the man and hope he doesn't cop out and do a nu metal record.
Old 02-25-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LivingINClip
I was listening to this ep last night. It still sounds great and is still the best stuff NiN ever did...IMHO. The only problem is that he was clearly getting pretty ****ed up psychologically when recording it and then went completely nuts during the Closer and Fragile albums. So what we want is a slightly pathological Trent, not a homicidal one.
Old 02-25-04, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by woofman
Bring it on in 5.1!
Isn't that already in 5.1? Besides this is the music forum...

j/k
Old 02-25-04, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by DLogic
Isn't that already in 5.1? Besides this is the music forum...

j/k

Old 02-25-04, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Is Lohner still with NIN's?
Old 02-25-04, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by db27
any word on the "tapeworm project"
Yeah its called "never coming out"

I vaguely remember reading a recent interview with either Danny Lohner or Trent in which they discuss it. I'll see if I can find it for you. From what I remember, It's all but done, but there is something holding it up....most likely Trent.
Old 02-25-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think part of the hold up is legal crap pertaining to the different record labels all the artists are from.

I believe Lohner will be working with Trent again. I recall him saying he had been down to work/visit with Trent and that the album was progressing well. I hope he can coax everyone from the last tour back in (clouser, dillon, lohner, finck.) It's the closest thing I think we have come to a really solid NIN line up. Well, I would consider that line up with Vrenna instead of Dillon the best, but Vrenna has been out of the picture for a long time and it's known he has no intention of working with Nine Inch Nails again.

I have a feeling when the tapeworm project actually does come out, it's gonna pull a Daikatana (for those computer gamers among us) and totally flop. I love the song Vacant, and would love to hear the original studio version with Maynard and Trent on vocals, but I have my doubts as to whether this thing will ever surface or not.
Old 02-25-04, 08:05 PM

I feel like I have to reply to this thread....

it bothers me that there are no official (or even semi-official) nine inch nails news sites anymore, it always gives me the impression that they've dissappeared off the face of the earth. the official site hasn't had any content on in it for quite a long time. the other useful site nineinchnails.net hasn't had any updates since 2002.

as for tapeworm, while a very interesting idea, i am certainly not holding my breath for it--i believe the rumors started around 1996. tapeworm.net even had some studio pictures at some point, which have long dissappeared.

it looks five years is the wait between record. but i am sure it will be worth it. it would be great to see them live again--the last time i saw them perfect circle was basically unknown and their first record wasnt even on the shelves yet..

fan forever,

m r s e l f d e s t r u c t
Old 02-25-04, 09:08 PM
Suspended

NINE INCH NAILS' DANNY LOHNER Offers Update On TAPEWORM Project - Oct. 30, 2003

NINE INCH NAILS man Danny Lohner has spoken to Metal Hammer magazine about his TAPEWORM project, the semi-mythical supergroup that has, in five or so years since its inception, featured contributions from NIN mastermind Trent Reznor, A PERFECT CIRCLE/TOOL frontman Maynard James Keenan and PANTERA's Phil Anselmo.

According to Lohner, the band has undergone a complete metamorphosis after he discarded all the old material and replaced it with a more focused sound as well as the four key members. The group is now made up of Lohner, Reznor, Keenan and ex-12 ROUNDS drummer Atticus Ross. The group was originally set to mix an album last Christmas. However legal disputes over Reznor and Keenan being signed to different labels have once again put the project on hold. At least, until after Lohner has completed his current NIN duties.

"I've gotta get back with Trent and figure out when we can actually do it," Lohner explained. "We have very little work to do to finish it"

Although he reckoned "musically it's hard to describe," Lohner said TAPEWORM is "fairly well rounded with lots of different instrumentation — the things you've come to expect from the NIN camp but not strictly a guitar tock thing. With Maynard and Trent working together on the vocals there's been a lot of attention given to having hooky, anthemic choruses."

With regards to the eagerly awaited new NINE INCH NAILS album, Lohner said it is likely to be completed by the end of the year, followed by a world tour shortly after. Whetting fans' appetites, he said. "The new material is much more stripped down and raw than 'The Fragile'. It's like the antithesis of the last record, it's much more immediate, direct and aggressive."

Last edited by MJKTool; 02-25-04 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-25-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for that post MJK, unfortunate news but thanks just the same. hopefully someday it will surface.
Old 02-26-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Self Destruct
the last time i saw them perfect circle was basically unknown and their first record wasnt even on the shelves yet..
That was the last time I saw them too, well the last time pretty much everyone in the US saw them. Almost 4 years ago.

theninhotline.net is the closest you can come now to solid NIN news these days. I used to prefer Seemslikesalvation.com but he jumped the shark it seems.

MJKTool, that was the article I was refering to earlier, cool.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.