Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Everclear DVD-Audio - DTS Only! - Others?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I stumbled upon Everclear's So Much for the Afterglow on DVDA a few weeks ago. It was only $10 so I didn't hesitate to grab it! When I got home and threw it in the player all I got was a staticy mess! I checked the audio options and the only surround option was for DTS or DD6.1! I don't have a DTS player, (there is one in the house, just not hooked into my surround system) so I was quite pissed. Anyway, just so I have some idea in the future, are there any other DVDAs that are in DTS or DD6.1 only?

Here is the link for the Everclear disk at DVD Empire:

http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_ite...item_id=550514

As you can see, it makes no mention of the format of the audio on the disk.
Old 02-26-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I see the DTS logo on the bottom. There was a bunch of these made a couple years ago. Queen Night at the Opera, Sting and a bunch more. They don't make them any more for obvious reasons.
Old 02-26-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They couldn't call it DVD-Audio if it just had DTS. It looks like a DTS CD, but like cungar said, they don't make them anymore since a lot of DVDA's also have a DTS (and Dolby Digital) surround track on them.
Old 02-26-04, 12:36 PM

I saw the DTS logo too, but I can play DTS DVDs in my player, it just defaults to 5.1. In this case there was no other surround option, only DD 2.0. The Everclear DVDA was just released in October of last year. I don't care if they make them, but they should put some sort of warning sticker "Warning: Surround Sound only on a DTS compatible DVD player"

If you look at the back of Queen: The Game,

It says both 5.1 and DTS, so it would be fine in my player. (Of course the Everclear disk doens't have a shot of the back on that site... and I loaned mine to a friend (since I couldn't play it) so I can't scan it... but 5.1 isn't even listed on there.

Last edited by C-Mart; 02-26-04 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Drexl
They couldn't call it DVD-Audio if it just had DTS. It looks like a DTS CD, but like cungar said, they don't make them anymore since a lot of DVDA's also have a DTS (and Dolby Digital) surround track on them.
Actually Drexl, DVD-A's have pretty much dropped the DTS track permanently. It just never took off as a format for music. Then again DVD-A isn't exactly taking off either.
Old 02-26-04, 05:36 PM

Actually, I was looking at BB today and found that there are many DVDAs with DTS... but most of them have the good sense to put a DD5.1 track on as well. The Everclear one was just stupid to have ONLY DTS and DD2.0