Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Asylum Street Spankers, anyone?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-03-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Over Christmas, my brother got me turned onto the Asylum Street Spankers. They are great! Sounds somewhat like the Squirrel Nut Zippers, but I like ASS better (boy, did that sound wrong). They play a bunch of different genres and some of their songs can get downright nasty. I'm definitely going to see them when they roll into town in April. My brother said that they don't use mics when they play live (confirmation, anyone?). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else was a fan.

Oh, and a heads-up: They released a CD of covers today (Mercurial), as well as a concert DVD (Sideshow Fez). Best Buy didn't have them (I didn't think they would), so I had to order them online.
Old 02-08-04, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best kept secret in music period!
I've seen 'em live at least 30 times. Their best years are behind them now (Guy, Pops, Eamon, Mysterious John, and the immortal Stan Smith are all gone) but as long as Wammo & Christina Marrs continue to belt out tunes all will be well. I hear they have a piano player now....that sounds fun to drag around on tour.
Best live show EVER literally.
Old 02-08-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Bob and Tom play a handful of their stuff all the time. They play the pussycat song pretty much every morning, and the scrotom song as well.

I like the female singers voice. Very distinct.
Old 04-16-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw them when they rolled into Columbus on Wednesday night. I swear, that has got to be one of the best shows that I've ever seen. They are all very accomplished musicians. Gotta love someone who can play the saw with a violin bow. The piano player is a welcome addition. No "Scrotum Song" at the show I went to. I don't blame them, since they are probably sick of it. They closed with the "***** Song," though. Right now they are down a member, who had to go to the hospital because of a blood clot in his arm. A word of warning: since they are playing somewhat larger venues, they now use "demon electricity" (they usually don't use amps or mics). We hung out and drank with various members of the band afterwards. They're all really nice guys (and gal).

I'm thinking about making the trip to Dayton to see them tonight. They're just that good.
Old 04-16-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen them several times at Cheatam Street Warehouse here. Very, very good band.
Old 10-16-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woo-hoo! They're coming back to Columbus for a show tonight at Little Brother's.
Old 10-17-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Well Bob & Tom avoid them like the plague since Janet's "wardrobe" malfunction thing. Worried about fines, I guess. I miss 'em. The did have a couple of the band members on doing their own thing. I thought they split up from the sounds of the interview.
Old 10-17-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I thought they split up from the sounds of the interview.
Nope, still going strong. The show last night was excellent, but my cousin's girlfriend had to work very early this morning so we left after the first set. Even though I only caught half of the show, it still ranks up there with some of the greatest performances that I've seen. They are just that good. Last night was the last stop of their tour.

They have some upcoming projects: a DVD of their recent reunion (where all past and present members of the group played together) and a series of live CDs that will be sold only on their website.