DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Walkmen - Bows & Arrows (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/345145-new-walkmen-bows-arrows.html)

auto 02-03-04 06:57 PM

New Walkmen - Bows & Arrows

http://www.marcata.net/walkmen/images/bowsandarrows.jpg

Track Listing:

1. What's In It For Me
2. Rat, The
3. No Christmas While I'm Talking
4. Little House Of Savages
5. My Old Man
6. 138th St.
7. North Pole, The
8. Hang On Siobhan
9. New Years Eve
10. Thinking Of A Dream I Had
11. Bows And Arrows

'Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone' was a great album and from my intial impressions it looks like this will rank right up there as well.

Anyone else like these guys?

fallow 02-03-04 07:54 PM

I like them and have heard the disc. It isn't as immediately catchy as Everyone Who Pretended... but maybe it is one of those discs that I'll fondly refer to as a grower. I started out liking it a lot, but now only like about half the songs a whole lot. None of the tracks are bad, though.

jonnyrocks 02-03-04 08:18 PM

Picked this up last weekend...it's not so bad, and there are a couple of fantastic U2-rockers. The production sounds really good...but Hamilton's voice can start to get on my nerves after a while. Sometimes, it doesn't sound like he really wants to sing...but I guess that's cool these days...

Rypro 525 02-03-04 11:30 PM

the album got an A in entertainment weekly so I was currious myself on how this was.

Frank TJ Mackey 02-04-04 03:58 AM

Who are these guys and why are they getting so much press?
I follow music closely and had never heard of them until the EW feature review and some ads I'd seen.

Just curious....

fallow 02-04-04 06:11 AM

You may recognize a reverbed out and dreamy song called "We've Been Had" that was used in a Nissan commercial. U2 is the most name-dropped band when referencing their influences. Similar contemporary artists would be French Kicks and The Joggers (both on the same label, StarTime, as the Walkmen) and I would call them jangly pop.

auto 02-04-04 07:56 PM

Rolling Stone gave the album two stars.

Not that that means anything.

Rypro 525 02-07-04 06:28 AM

they were on conan last night if anyone was interested. (episode reairs on mon at 6et.)

Andalusia 02-07-04 11:42 AM

Yeah, I saw them on Conan, and their song actually started out pretty cool. Then the guy started singing. Blah...

auto 02-07-04 02:42 PM

Man, 'The Rat' is one helluva song.

BTW, what did they sing on Conan?

Oh yea, PITCHFORK REVIEW

Andalusia 02-07-04 10:00 PM

Originally posted by jay77
Man, 'The Rat' is one helluva song.

BTW, what did they sing on Conan?

Oh yea, PITCHFORK REVIEW

I dunno the song, but it had to be whatever single's on the radio.

chunk 02-08-04 12:12 AM

They performed the Rat on Conan, and it was one of those rare times where he seemed really impressed by the performance. Not as much as when My Morning Jacket was on, which was classic, but still impressed.

atlantamoi 02-08-04 08:31 AM

I just read this on allmusic.com and now I'm drooling... I want to hear this!:

The Walkmen are influenced by such diverse bands like the Pogues, Joy Division, Bruce Springsteen, Bjork, U2, New Order, the Smiths and the Cure. Their new music has favorably been compared to Pixies, Brian Eno, the Velvet Underground with strong hints of U2 and Television. An online advertisement for the Marcata Studios explains that the owners appreciate the sonic recordings on Joy Division's Peel Sessions, the Talking Heads' Fear of Music, the Specials' The Specials, and Royal Trux's Singles, among others.

auto 02-08-04 12:04 PM

Originally posted by chunk
They performed the Rat on Conan, and it was one of those rare times where he seemed really impressed by the performance. Not as much as when My Morning Jacket was on, which was classic, but still impressed.
Damn I wish I would have seen that. Somebody remind me to tape Conan while I'm at work Monday.

Frank TJ Mackey 02-09-04 04:37 AM

I bought the album and it's a good one.

The Rat is one of the best songs of 2004 and will be around at year's end.

They were great on Conan.

Some of vocals are a little muffled and you'll need to track down the lyrics.

A worth pickup for fans of alternative/rock/folky/emo/punkish stuff.