Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL: Pixies reunite! Tour dates announced [ticket update / questions]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

OFFICIAL: Pixies reunite! Tour dates announced [ticket update / questions]

Old 02-03-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFFICIAL: Pixies reunite! Info from FrankBlack.net. Tour dates coming very soon

Info from FrankBlack.net:
This is it folks - we have the Official Word™ on the Pixies Reunion!

The group is indeed reforming, and they'll be doing a 'warm-up' tour beginning in April that will lead up to the much-anticipated Coachella festival. Touring will continue afterwards, through the US and Canada. It is a safe bet Europe will follow. Of course, you can expect to see the dates and locations as soon as we know.

Lucky for us, it appears some pigs do fly! More soon on the Amazing Flying Pigxies!
-----------

Oopie - there is a very important and exciting correction to yesterday's announcement:

The Pixies will begin their 'warm-up' tour in Canada and the US, which will lead to Coachella, after which they'll be heading off the continent! Sorry for the mix-up!

Once more, we'll post the tour dates here when we have the Official Word™ on them.

Don't stray too far..

Info from NME.com:

PIXIES have officially confirmed they are to reunite for a full tour this year.The indie legends, who split in 1993, had already been announced as one of the acts at this year's Coachella festival in California, where they will appear on May 1.

Speculation has been rife for months now that the band would be playing more shows in 2004, and now a spokesperson for the band has revealed that more shows will be taking place, and are due to be confirmed imminently.

He said: "For a long time, it was far from certain that this would actually happen. However, you may be interested to learn that, at last, the reunion has been confirmed. Their booking agents have been confirming shows with promoters over the last few days."

The band are expected to play some warm-up shows in Canada before they appear at the Coachella bash. They will go on to visit Europe, with a host of festival appearances planned - slots at the UK's V Festival, T In The Park and Glastonbury are strongly rumoured. The band are also thought to have a number of indooor shows pencilled in, including two nights at London Brixton Academy, as well as a support slot on Red Hot Chili Peppers' summer European tour.

What is definite is that the band's former label 4AD are to release a 'best of' album and DVD sometime this year. The DVD will feature eight Pixies videos, a 1988 concert taped at London's Town And Country Club and the documentary 'Gouge', which features interviews with Radiohead's Thom Yorke, David Bowie and Bono
Old 02-03-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old news but good news
Old 02-04-04, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, kinda hard to play at coachella if they weren't going to reunite..
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=342063

Old 02-04-04, 08:33 AM

this isn't old news..it was confirmed for Coachella, but this is a formal release saying that a North America tour is being booked.

this was the old release
"The news is the first official confirmation of the Pixies much-anticipated reunion following their split in 1993. Speculation has been rife for months now that the band would be playing shows in 2004, although no dates beyond Coachella have been confirmed yet, though more shows in the US and UK are strongly rumoured to be taking place later in the year."
Old 02-04-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Have the remasters of their catalog come out yet? I have yet to pick up anything by them and was waiting for the reissues.
Old 02-04-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not to be a thread-crapper, but does this mean that all the members have run out of money, and finally realized that their solo careers have sucked? (Sorry, I liked the Pixies, but I think the Breeders were terrible, and Frank's solo stuff not much better).

Just smells to me like another "Lets get back together and do a reunion tour for the money" scheme.
Old 02-04-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Not to be a thread-crapper, but does this mean that all the members have run out of money, and finally realized that their solo careers have sucked? (Sorry, I liked the Pixies, but I think the Breeders were terrible, and Frank's solo stuff not much better).

Just smells to me like another "Lets get back together and do a reunion tour for the money" scheme.
I have a feeling FB is doing it to make some coin, but he's always been upfront about the business side of his music.

IMO, his solo stuff kills the Pixies stuff, and as huge of a fan as I am, this reunion saddens me a little.
Old 02-04-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
That's an interesting question--certainly I was 'into' the Pixies when they were still doing their stuff, and I could deal with a little of the Breeder's and FB's work, though it wasn't as groundbreaking as the Pixies'; but what is the general opinion of 'reunions'?
If someone wants to revitalize their image, sell some tickets/albums/t-shirts, maybe get some new fans 10-20 years younger, more power to them [heck, Bill Gates releases new versions of software every year, so what's the diff?]
But is a reunion, to someone who is familiar with the original work/band, any *good*, or is it like a bunch of buds hanging out at their 15th high school reunion and realizing they don't have much in common any more? And if they are, are they worth the ridiculous sums they ask sometimes [a coworked went to see Duran Duran, I think, at a reunion tour--tickets from a 'reseller' [ie, scalper] were like 400 bucks]. Face price was no cheaper than 80/each.
Many of the bands I listen to, are now defunct. I doubt any of them will reunite for anything. If they did, however, I'd try to see them, just to try to recapture some of the feeling. But is that feeling still there?
Old 02-04-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope he goes back to being Black Francis and writing good songs. His solo material was just not up to par.

As for Kim Deal, I loved "Last Splash", but nothing else made an impression on me. So basically, yeah, I'm glad the Pixies are getting back together. Plus, the world needs more Joey Santiago.
Old 02-04-04, 05:18 PM
Banned

This is the best news I've heard so far all friggin' year. The Pixies are one of the best bands ever, now that they're gonna tour people will get to see what the big deal is and why they are so revered among music circles. I mean, they do have a strong following of ardent fans but I'd say the majority of people still think of them as "that band from the end of Fight Club". btw, Frank Black's solo work over the years has been inconsistent but he's made some terrific records that rank with the Pixies' stuff, Teenager of the Year being his best album album by far imo. And the Breeders always kicked ass.
Old 02-04-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frank Black - S/T
Frank Black - Teenager of the Year
Old 02-04-04, 08:49 PM

This was in my inbox tonight, from The Big Takeover (magazine) mailing list/yahoo discussion group:

"For all you Pixies fans who were excited about their reunion show at Coachella and possible subsequent tour, apparently the reunion is off.

A close friend of mine, who is next-door neighbors/friends with David Lovering, was told by Lovering that the whole thing is off. I can't say I'm completely surpised."

Make of it what you will. I mean, it is just some guy's word, but I wouldn't completely discard it.
Old 02-05-04, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by jay77
Frank Black - S/T
Frank Black - Teenager of the Year
Personally, I don't think Frank Black put out one bad album. I completely enjoy every one of his Frank Black (with or without the Catholics ) albums. Breeders on the other hand are sketchy. The Pod is a great album as is the Safari EP, the rest I can definitley live without.
Old 02-05-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fnordboy
Personally, I don't think Frank Black put out one bad album. I completely enjoy every one of his Frank Black (with or without the Catholics ) albums. Breeders on the other hand are sketchy. The Pod is a great album as is the Safari EP, the rest I can definitley live without.
Actually, I agree with you. Although 'Cult of Ray' is a little iffy.

But I find it hard to believe that anyone could find fault with the self-titled record or teenager of the year.
Old 02-06-04, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by jay77
Actually, I agree with you. Although 'Cult of Ray' is a little iffy.

But I find it hard to believe that anyone could find fault with the self-titled record or teenager of the year.
Actually I like the S/T album the least of all of his. There are some definite gems on there but it just doesn't do it for me as a whole.

Teenager of the Year is probably my favorite of his solos though. Pistolero maybe in second.
Old 02-09-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Pixies tour dates

Folliwing are the dates for the warm-up tour.

April 14: Winnipeg, Manitoba (Burton Cummings Theatre)
April 15: Regina, Saskatchewan (Doris Knight Ballroom)
April 17: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Prairieland)
April 18: Edmonton, Alberta (Red's)
April 19: Calgary, Alberta (MacEwan Hall)
April 21: Victoria, British Columbia (Victoria Curling Club)
April 22-23: Vancouver (Commodore Ballroom)
April 24: Spokane, Wash. (Big Easy)
April 25: Boise, Idaho (Big Easy)
April 27: Eugene, Ore. (MacDonald Theatre)
April 29: Davis, Calif. (Freeborn Hall)
May 1: Indio, Calif. (Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival)

I thought we might get lucky and get a Texas show since Frank Black spends so much time in Austin now. Oh well, here's hoping for a full tour later
Old 02-10-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Any idea where the tickets will be sold through for the Davis show?
Old 02-10-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you guys think they will play any shows in Pennsylvania?
Old 02-10-04, 11:44 PM

no love for the east coast
Old 02-11-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

uh, thats why its called a "warm-up" tour. get it? its not the big full out tour yet.
Old 02-11-04, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Lara Means
uh, thats why its called a "warm-up" tour. get it? its not the big full out tour yet.
No it is the warm up tour for Coachella...then they are going to Europe. There is no word of any other shows in the states after that. Get it?

Personally I don't think they will last past the Europe tour anyway. Just my opinion.
Old 02-11-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
Personally I don't think they will last past the Europe tour anyway. Just my opinion.
Wow, that's really stupid!
Old 02-11-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Not so stupid when you consider that have have had a rocky relationship in the past.
Old 02-11-04, 08:33 PM

Nice tact

Do you even know anything about this band? They aren't known for having the best relationship and Frank Black has said in the past that a reunion doesn't seem like the thing to do. This is a surefire way to make a quick buck and most likely that is why they even agreed to do it.

Believe me I love the Pixies and it sucked to see them break up initially, though there finest work (together) was behind them near the end. I would love for this to work out and for them to start making (great) records again. Unfortunately what I have learned is that "you can't go home again". Hopefully I am wrong, but personally I don't think so.
Old 02-12-04, 05:56 AM
Banned

Why? It would really suck but it could happen, Deal and Black's relationship was always a little strained and the group didn't exactly disband on the best of terms. In fact, the band didn't even know they broke up until Black sent the others a fax saying he was ending it.

Last edited by Rivero; 02-12-04 at 05:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.