DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   clubs/venues in the LA area. whats good whats not? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/344949-clubs-venues-la-area-whats-good-whats-not.html)

whynotsmile 02-02-04 09:30 PM

clubs/venues in the LA area. whats good whats not?

I've only been going to concerts for a little more than a year. I'm in the Los Angeles area and have had the pleasure of going to quite a few shows. I really can't compare it to any other city, but I really do love the venues here. I was curious as to your thoughts on them, what you like or dislike about each one, etc.

The ones i've been to:

The Troubadour---
Fun. Super small, nice sound, cheap price and lots of bands. Saw OZMA there.

THe staples Center---
I like its design. When I won tickets there to see the ROLLING SOTNES, we were seated in the last row of the arena. Wasn't too bad though, since the staples center goes really high, but not that wide if you know what i mean. We were very high up, but really had no problem seeing the band. On the screen of course. Sound was pretty good. Also saw FLEETWOOD MAC there.

THe hollywood Palladium---
I really like the palladium. Good sound, great location. It gets PACKED in there, but what is nice is that the sides of the venue are totally empty. I saw the STROKES at a sold out show there, and my friend and I sat on the floor during the opening bands. We had a huge amount of space to ourselves. Then when the strokes came on, we were on the outside of the crowd, yet were still very close to the band.

The El Rey theater---
one of my favorites. Great sound, great crowd. I like the tables and chairs along the walls. It gets packed and hot in there so bring deodorent. It is also connected to a small restauraunt where you can get the best god damn vegie burgers on the planet. One slight complaint about the place is their timing. THe show started at 8. I got there at 6:30 and had to wait till they opened the doors at 8. Then at 9 the first band went on. THe main act went on around 10:30 or 11I believe. A bit late.Saw THE RAPTURE there.

The Wiltern LG---
awsome. Both shows I got there early and got to be in the main pit. My friend was stuck behind in the other GA section. I don't like how they blocked it off, but whatever. I saw TRAVIS and ZWAN there. Sound was great and if you are in the main pitt you get really damn close to band. SO friggin close to shaking hands with Billy Corgan...

The Avalon---
one of my favorite venues. Great sound, great atmosphere, great location. THe bathroom attended does come on a bit too strong though. Saw FLOGGING MOLLY and ROONY there.

The Greek theater---
despite it pouring rain, my halloween show with QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE was great. For an outside venue, I loved how intimate it was, and how great the sound was. Hated the parking though. Parking on a mountain side in the pouring rain is never fun.

The hollywood bowl---
EHHHHHHHHHHHH. if you can get up close, it's not bad. I saw INDIA.ARIE up close there and that was pretty good. Sound wise I mean. I saw Radiohead there as well, and despite them being fantastic, the sound was lacking. Also, section U there is so far away you can barely see shit.

The GLass House---
Pomona is a shit area and is rather far, but this is a great GREAT venue. Really tiny and great sound.

So thats all i've been to. Ones I shall go to sometime:

Roxy
Whisky (next week)
Universal Amphlitheater
Dodger stadium (not for a concert at least)
Inglewood forum (not for a concert)

Gdrlv 02-02-04 10:52 PM

Places I've been in LA for shows (traveled for all of these)...

The Wiltern. Saw the String Cheese Incident there. One of the nicest venues I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. For those who don't know, it's an old art-deco movie theater. Very beautiful/funky looking with excellent sound. That place gets a BIG thumbs up from me.

The House of Blues. Saw Guster and Great Big Sea there. Not a bad venue. Just like every other HOB I've been to. Good sound...very little character.

The Great Western Forum. Saw Phish there. It's old and not that well kept. The sound's only mediocre, but for an arena, it ain't bad.

SeekOnce 02-03-04 12:04 AM

Personally, I hate everything that's on Sunset. Why? One word: PARKING! This includes the House of Blues, Key Club, Viper Room, The Roxy, and The Whisky. Anything in that general area, I just loathe and avoid whenever possible. Which really sucks cuz I like The Key Club. Great lil venue.

The Hollywood Palladium is a nice sized place but I find all the shows I go to there, the sound just bites. All muffled. No clarity.

The Palace (now called The Avalon though I'll always call it The Palace) is cool. I like.

Troubadour is great too. At least here, I can usually find metered parking (which is free by the time shows start) and not have to worry about kicking down $8.00. The El Rey Theatre is pretty decent also. Same deal with the parking here too.

The Glass House is :thumbsup:. Though it is a drive to get out there. I'd rather go to the House of Blues - Anaheim if I'm driving that much, which is actually my venue of choice despite being 30 miles away from LA. It's smaller than the HoB on Sunset. Great atmsphere. Up to 3 or 4 hours of free parking in Downtown Disney. This is the first venue I check for shows.

Surprisingly, the Universal Amphitheatre doesn't have a bad seat in the house IMO for a place of that capacity. I was two rows from the very back of the venue at the Acoustic Christmas two months ago and the view was still decent. Been to several shows throughout the years there in a variety of seats. Couldn't complain. Not quite sure about the 2nd level balcony though. Had a seat up there once back in '96 with Soundgarden. So I don't remember that one.