DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Is there EVER going to be a new Beastie Boys album? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/344193-there-ever-going-new-beastie-boys-album.html)

lordzeppelin 01-29-04 08:34 PM

Is there EVER going to be a new Beastie Boys album?

It's been FAR FAR too long and these guys are getting too old...where is some new stuff? I always read they're in the studio, but never see any tenative dates or anything...

ClarkKentKY 01-29-04 09:20 PM

No. And if it does come out it will be too preachy to even bother with. I've lost all hope.

:(

First sign you're getting old: The bands you loved in high school break up, begin to suck, or fade into obscurity.

Actually, there's some buzzing over on the beastie message boards.

http://www.beastieboys.com/msgboards/index.php?

Keep in mind its been buzzing nonstop since 1997. But some credible stuff is being said about a new CD in june? I'm not holding my breath though.

Michael T Hudson 01-29-04 10:40 PM

No kidding try middle school. :)

Jepthah 01-30-04 12:27 AM

They haven't done anything good in 10 years. I sold their last CD to a used shop...what a disappointment. Their best move would be retirement.

josuff247 01-30-04 08:08 AM

I would love for them to just go back
to the licence to ill/ pauls boutique days,
and give us a strait up rap album.
Without the instrumental fillers and distorted vocals.
Songs about partying-beers-and just plain buggin!!

Frank TJ Mackey 01-30-04 09:59 AM

4th Quarter 2004.

PJsig08 01-30-04 10:29 AM

Maybe you heard about the disaster of their last single 10 months ago or so?

If it's anything like that, count me out.

ClarkKentKY 01-30-04 12:26 PM

If you're talking about "In a world gone mad" ... It doesn't even really qualify as a single does it? The didn't selll it as a single, it never got any radio play. It was just a political statement.

Hearing it just made me sad.. Cause the music sounded like beastie boys, but then these old hipster jackasses started rapping about george bush. Poorly. It's like listening to Audioslave.. it just makes me miss Rage.

If thats the best stuff they can come up to rap about count me out. I got sick of their buddhist hippie routine 8 years ago. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to listen to Paul's Boutique.

DodgingCars 01-30-04 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
They haven't done anything good in 10 years. I sold their last CD to a used shop...what a disappointment. Their best move would be retirement.
I disagree.

Hello Nasty (1998) was a great album.

jay77a 01-31-04 11:56 AM

The only problem with "In a world gone mad" was that the rhymes were just plain laughably bad.

Their last "single" 'Alive' from the anthology was great, IMO, but now I can't decide if I want another album or not. Maybe the anthology was a good way to wrap it up.

Ergyu 01-31-04 04:47 PM

Originally posted by josuff247
I would love for them to just go back
to the licence to ill/ pauls boutique days,
and give us a strait up rap album.
Without the instrumental fillers and distorted vocals.
Songs about partying-beers-and just plain buggin!!

I wouldn't mind instrument "Filler" if it was as good as the music from these 2 records. I think they were less straight forward rappers back in the day than they became later on in their career. They had a punk edge back in the day, and actually used to be a punk band, that I missed from Hello Nasty.

lcnickell 02-01-04 05:14 PM

i thought hello nasty was awful..

the last album i liked was check your head--

i wish they'd sing about girls and Budweiser, and leave free Tibet stuff alone-

i had when groups become rockstars, and they feel like they have to take on some "cause"

Eeyore 02-01-04 06:35 PM

just pull out paul's boutique. it's probably been too long since you've listened to it, so it'll be like a new album. (and the best new album you'll be likely to find from the beasties or any other artist these days)

Jason 02-01-04 07:51 PM

Frye: Back in the 20th century, I had all five of your albums.

Beastie: Dude, that was a thousand years ago. We have seven now.

ClarkKentKY 02-01-04 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Frye: Back in the 20th century, I had all five of your albums.

Beastie: Dude, that was a thousand years ago. We have seven now.

:lol: Classic.

Mutley Hyde 02-03-04 10:52 AM

I love the instrumental fillers on Check Your Head and Ill Communication. I've always wished the Boys would get into cutting some serious jazz records, and I thought they were headed in that direction, then Hello Nasty came out. :( I mean, it's okay, but it was like a step back, or off to the side or something. I'd like to have seen a progression of the jazzier shit.

I've got a few of Money Mark's cds, and while the tracks are decent at first, they get old fast, as they're too damned short and don't have much depth/dimension. I think he's not much without the Boys.

My druthers? I'd like to see Mike D go off and get lost in his clothing 'empire' :rolleyes: and Adrock go off and make some more movies like Roadside Prophets, and leave Adam Horowitz, Mario C. and Money Mark to the business of making music. These three really should branch off into a side jazz project, dadgummit.

Mutley Hyde 02-07-04 10:20 AM

I kill Beastie Boy threads for a living. :(

Brain Stew 02-07-04 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I love the instrumental fillers on Check Your Head and Ill Communication. I've always wished the Boys would get into cutting some serious jazz records, and I thought they were headed in that direction, then Hello Nasty came out. :( I mean, it's okay, but it was like a step back, or off to the side or something. I'd like to have seen a progression of the jazzier shit.

Have you listened to the, The In Sound From Way Out! EP? It's mostly jazzy instrumentals.

Mutley Hyde 02-12-04 04:43 PM

Oh yeah, Butt, I've got that... it's very cool. Although there's no new material, it's awesome having it all on one cd, and without the punk rock 'efforts' and usual raps. Not that I'm against those (well, okay, I really do not like their 'punk'), but it's cool to get that sustained groove. :up: