Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

As a Queen fan, I just saw/heard the worst thing I could possibly imagine...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-28-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Britney, Beyonce & Pink.

Dressed as gladiators.

In a Roman arena.

Singing "We Will Rock You".

To "Emperor" Enrique Iglesias.

While Brian & Roger were in the audience.

[there ARE no words...]
Old 01-28-04, 12:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I caught the ad spot/story on 'Entertainment Tonight' last night and I like you was not amused.
Old 01-28-04, 12:31 PM
Suspended

That sounds horrible, even without the Queen issue. What would Freddie have thought?
Old 01-28-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by balancer
That sounds horrible, even without the Queen issue. What would Freddie have thought?
He probably would have thought, "Oh that Enrique, isn't he just gorgeous?"
Old 01-28-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

and AFTER that, I think he might've appreciated the campy-ness of it...
Old 01-28-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: As a Queen fan, I just saw/heard the worst thing I could possibly imagine...

Originally posted by Rogue588
Britney, Beyonce & Pink.

Dressed as gladiators.
Well, I think most of us can agree that better them then Freddie Mercury dressed as a gladiator
Old 01-28-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

you can find it HERE.

Right click, save as.
Old 01-28-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, that didn't make me wanna go out and buy a Pepsi so much as go to the bathroom and jack-off
Old 01-28-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 799 Likes on 587 Posts
Real female gladiators would enter the ring with one of their breasts exposed.
Old 01-28-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 104 Posts
May & Taylor should be ashamed of themselves.
I hope this commercial bombs.

Once again Miss Spears shows that she can't sing worth a lick & is severly outvoiced by Beyonce & Pink.
Old 01-29-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588

and AFTER that, I think he might've appreciated the campy-ness of it...

I'm a pretty big Queen fan (my first two concerts), but I'm not sure it's the worst thing ever (although I haven't seen it yet). From the description, I think he might have liked it.

Besides, it can't be a worse affront to Queen than Ice Ice Baby.

Last edited by Ginwen; 01-29-04 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-29-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
They do

PMOY Karen McDougal and playmate Lisa Dergen camping it up as gladiators. Worth a rental. Karen is my all time favorite playmate.
Old 01-29-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: As a Queen fan, I just saw/heard the worst thing I could possibly imagine...

You obviously never saw Liza Minelli singing We are the Champions
Old 01-29-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, this is ridiculous.
Old 02-01-04, 08:26 PM

Queen defend Pepsi "sell out" ad

January 27, 2004
©Associated Press

London, England - Frizzy haired Brian May, one time guitarist and current soft drink pusher, was taken by surprise when he was told of the vitriolic response by Queen fans towards the new Pepsi ad featuring three of today's pop music icons, Britney Spears, Beyonce and Pink - why? Because they're singing Queen's signature tune "We Will Rock You."

"I don't see what the big deal is, to be honest" says May. "We sold out way back in 1982 on our 'Hot Space' album. As a band, we decided that we needed to suck the black community dry of their money by copping their tunes. I guess looking back it wasn't the greatest idea ever. Turns out a gay singer and a clog wearing guitarist wasn't what the funk/R&B fans were looking for."
However some 22 years later, the remaining band members seem to think they've learned from their past mistakes. "Oh yeah, on 'Hot Space' we were basically relying on the musical merits of those songs to sell it" says Roger Taylor, Queen's photophobic drummer. "Now all we need is to latch onto not one, not two, but three of the most popular singers around, licence them the rights to a 27 year old song, play dress up and watch the money roll in! My god, we didn't have to do anything for it! If we had known this all those years ago, we'd have closed up shop and sold our catalog to Michael Jackson. I mean he REALLY knows how to match up the right song with the right product. 'Revolution' and sneakers, bloody brilliant!"

The new Pepsi ad comes in the wake of the brilliant collaborations in recent years with the talented boy band 5ive. When asked about that duet (which once again used "We Will Rock You") making a "worst songs" list in the UK, May responds "Well, it's keeping us in the public eye isn't it?"

Jim Beach, who has been the band's manager for a few decades notes that "We're making more money now then we did when Freddie died. If you think death equals skyrocketing album sales, you've never whored yourself to major corporations before."

Beach also divulges details on future Queen releases - "Our musical, which has been a huge success in the UK and Australia will soon be opening in Finland, North Korea and (hopefully) China, though China allowing it to play there will depend heavily upon Brian and Roger publically championing communism....well, there are billions of potential consumers in China so that's a distinct possibility."

Queen's continued dominance of the marketplace also extends into the realm of DVD as their famous Wembley concert and two collections of their music videos all went to #1 on the charts. "See, we are following the basic business model of the major movie studios. Most of our DVDs feature grainy, washed out images, not to mention half of the picture being chopped off, but we know full well of the demand for Queen DVDs. Our fans will buy anything. In a few years, we will re-release them with brand new, high definition transfers and present them in full screen all so people will have to buy them again. Never do it right the first time because you can always sucker them for twice the money down the line. Thanks to 20th Century FOX for that one!"

A few years back, a collection of Freddie Mercury's solo work was released as a box set but notably absent were his duets with famed baby poker Michael Jackson. Brian May's only response? "We'll wait for the trial before deciding on releasing them. Oh, not to see if he's guilty or not, that hardly matters. We'd just rather wait for the media hype to reach a fever pitch. Jim Beach has a solid business mind you know."

Finally, one question that keeps coming from Queen fans is when will the box sets of rare material ever be released. "We'd love to do them. Our marketing research shows that with Pepsi backing us, public interest in Queen is sky high" says Taylor but before he continues, a noticeable grimace surfaces. "but we no longer have those tapes." When asked where they might be Taylor can only say "Our bass player has them and we don't have a ****ing clue where he is, much less our master tapes."

©2004 F. Feller
Old 02-01-04, 09:03 PM
veritasredux

It's not like Queen was exactly dignified to begin with . . .
Old 02-01-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ha Ha. Almost had me there for a second.

BTW...what was your problem with Brian..?
Old 02-02-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Michael Allred
Queen defend Pepsi "sell out" ad

January 27, 2004
©Associated Press

London, England - Frizzy haired Brian May, one time guitarist and current soft drink pusher, was taken by surprise when he was told of the vitriolic response by Queen fans towards the new Pepsi ad featuring three of today's pop music icons, Britney Spears, Beyonce and Pink - why? Because they're singing Queen's signature tune "We Will Rock You."

"I don't see what the big deal is, to be honest" says May. "We sold out way back in 1982 on our 'Hot Space' album. As a band, we decided that we needed to suck the black community dry of their money by copping their tunes. I guess looking back it wasn't the greatest idea ever. Turns out a gay singer and a clog wearing guitarist wasn't what the funk/R&B fans were looking for."
However some 22 years later, the remaining band members seem to think they've learned from their past mistakes. "Oh yeah, on 'Hot Space' we were basically relying on the musical merits of those songs to sell it" says Roger Taylor, Queen's photophobic drummer. "Now all we need is to latch onto not one, not two, but three of the most popular singers around, licence them the rights to a 27 year old song, play dress up and watch the money roll in! My god, we didn't have to do anything for it! If we had known this all those years ago, we'd have closed up shop and sold our catalog to Michael Jackson. I mean he REALLY knows how to match up the right song with the right product. 'Revolution' and sneakers, bloody brilliant!"

The new Pepsi ad comes in the wake of the brilliant collaborations in recent years with the talented boy band 5ive. When asked about that duet (which once again used "We Will Rock You") making a "worst songs" list in the UK, May responds "Well, it's keeping us in the public eye isn't it?"

Jim Beach, who has been the band's manager for a few decades notes that "We're making more money now then we did when Freddie died. If you think death equals skyrocketing album sales, you've never whored yourself to major corporations before."

Beach also divulges details on future Queen releases - "Our musical, which has been a huge success in the UK and Australia will soon be opening in Finland, North Korea and (hopefully) China, though China allowing it to play there will depend heavily upon Brian and Roger publically championing communism....well, there are billions of potential consumers in China so that's a distinct possibility."

Queen's continued dominance of the marketplace also extends into the realm of DVD as their famous Wembley concert and two collections of their music videos all went to #1 on the charts. "See, we are following the basic business model of the major movie studios. Most of our DVDs feature grainy, washed out images, not to mention half of the picture being chopped off, but we know full well of the demand for Queen DVDs. Our fans will buy anything. In a few years, we will re-release them with brand new, high definition transfers and present them in full screen all so people will have to buy them again. Never do it right the first time because you can always sucker them for twice the money down the line. Thanks to 20th Century FOX for that one!"

A few years back, a collection of Freddie Mercury's solo work was released as a box set but notably absent were his duets with famed baby poker Michael Jackson. Brian May's only response? "We'll wait for the trial before deciding on releasing them. Oh, not to see if he's guilty or not, that hardly matters. We'd just rather wait for the media hype to reach a fever pitch. Jim Beach has a solid business mind you know."

Finally, one question that keeps coming from Queen fans is when will the box sets of rare material ever be released. "We'd love to do them. Our marketing research shows that with Pepsi backing us, public interest in Queen is sky high" says Taylor but before he continues, a noticeable grimace surfaces. "but we no longer have those tapes." When asked where they might be Taylor can only say "Our bass player has them and we don't have a ****ing clue where he is, much less our master tapes."

©2004 F. Feller
Dat's some funny shit!!!
Old 02-02-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe we can get Janet Jackson to dress like one.
Old 02-04-04, 06:59 AM

Is that Brian & Roger?
Old 02-04-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a funny post; I only hope that much of it is said tongue-in-cheek.
Old 02-05-04, 10:41 PM
Banned

That was a master stroke, Mr. Feller...
Old 02-05-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a pepsi commercial during the Super Bowl?
Old 02-06-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: As a Queen fan, I just saw/heard the worst thing I could possibly imagine...

Originally posted by cungar
You obviously never saw Liza Minelli singing We are the Champions
Now THAT is scary!!!
Old 02-06-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watch the commerical here

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39726

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.