Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are fans so obnoxious at concerts?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to see Iron and Wine in Atlanta this weekend, and once again I was floored by the continuously rude shouts coming from the audience. It wasn't just one person, though. There were several people shouting out different indie band songs that don't even come close to Iron and Wine's style. Obviously they didn't REALLY want to see the band play those songs, so why do they do it?
And then there's crowd noise and talking during a band's performance, which is so incredibly rude. I love to see people get thrown out or reprimanded by the band for shouting or talking loudly.

This isn't just an occurence at one or two shows, though--this is largely my experience. I've found that the audience can really ruin a show for people.
Old 01-27-04, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ironically, this article was just published today...
Old 01-27-04, 09:14 PM

Old 01-27-04, 09:17 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's lots of stupid annoying people out there, so anytime you have a large number of people in one place you're going to notice.

The more there are the worse it is as they encourage each other. One loud obnoxious person sees/hears another yelling something stupid and joins in and then it spreads.

It's like this at concerts, movies, sporting events, etc.
Old 01-27-04, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Old 01-27-04, 09:46 PM

Went and saw 'A Perfect Circle' on Nov 28th. Was a laid back concert except for the fact there was some underage girl who was drunk and stoned, she kept falling down, people would pick her up and she'd stumble off, ask for some pot, fall back down. She done this during the opening act and through all of APC's setlist.
Old 01-27-04, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by LivingINClip
Went and saw 'A Perfect Circle' on Nov 28th. Was a laid back concert except for the fact there was some underage girl who was drunk and stoned, she kept falling down, people would pick her up and she'd stumble off, ask for some pot, fall back down. She done this during the opening act and through all of APC's setlist.
Did you punch her in the stomach? She probably would've forgiven you
Old 01-28-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I really hate all the talking that goes on during most concerts. Why talk, aren't you there to listen to the band??

The best concert experieces I've ever had were during each Cocteau Twins performance. It was like a religious experience, and everyone was in on it. So quiet and respectful, it was great. Though I was told that Dead Can Dance also had this type of crowd, I never saw them...but on their live album, the crowd is pretty awesome.
Old 01-28-04, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's what I hate:

Band starts intro to a song, crowd looks confused and disinterested.

Suddenly, the lyrics start...hey, it's a radio hit! Crowd goes WILD!
Old 01-28-04, 10:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
there used to a venue in Georgetown (DC) called the Bayou and I swear it always had rude people (except for the Desiree concert) considering it was kind of inbetween GU and George Washington University, I got the sense that the music was secondary and that all the talking was to find some to go with after and shag.
Old 01-28-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by Penny Lane
Did you punch her in the stomach? She probably would've forgiven you
or at least cop a feel while "helping" her up
Old 01-28-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a ton better than it used to be.

Still, I believe that the more people that get put into one place, the lower the average IQ gets.
Old 01-28-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LivingINClip
Sounds like a Courtney Love in training.
Old 01-28-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, so lemme gripe for a second. This isn't about "fans" as much as "crowd."

My friend is moving to Philadelphia soon and played his final show in Fredericksburg today. He plays music that is most immediately like (Smog) but a little slower -- like Will Oldham paced. Very long drawn out chords and crooning vox. Anyway, he was really trying to get into his last show -you could see him putting all of himself into his songs- and these cookie-cut girls from my dorm stood in front of the stage the whole damn time and chatted to each other. So they don't even care that this is his last show or that a group of people behind them are trying to see the stage. He still had 2 songs left, but ended up making feedback because he got frustrated as the crowd of girls got bigger and bigger until they engulfed the entire front and you could barely hear him. Where is the fuggin' respect?!

[/inarticulate & unartful rant]

Last edited by fallow; 01-28-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-28-04, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by fallow
Okay, so lemme gripe for a second. This isn't about "fans" as much as "crowd."

My friend is moving to Philadelphia soon and played his final show in Fredericksburg today. He plays music that is most immediately like (Smog) but a little slower -- like Will Oldham paced. Very long drawn out chords and crooning vox. Anyway, he was really trying to get into his last show -you could see him putting all of himself into his songs- and these cookie-cut girls from my dorm stood in front of the stage the whole damn time and chatted to each other. So they don't even care that this is his last show or that a group of people behind them are trying to see the stage. He still had 2 songs left, but ended up making feedback because he got frustrated as the crowd of girls got bigger and bigger until they engulfed the entire front and you could barely hear him. Where is the fuggin' respect?!

[/inarticulate & unartful rant]
That's really unfortunate. I'd have been ready to start causing a ruckus (especially if I was a guy and unafraid of getting my ass whipped).
Old 01-28-04, 10:35 PM

Obnoxious fans are just one of a few reasons why I don't make it out to many live shows these days. That Onion article was especially funny for me because it takes place at the Empty Bottle, quite possibly my favorite Chicago bar. I've run across many "Daryl Froemers" over the years.
Old 01-29-04, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
To be honest, none of you would complian about your show's if you've spent just one night at a Slayer or Pantera concert. Those fans are pure retarded evil
Old 01-29-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
To be honest, none of you would complian about your show's if you've spent just one night at a Slayer or Pantera concert. Those fans are pure retarded evil
I was just thinking to myself, if a group of girls can stand up front and talk to each other enough to annoy the whole crowd.... the band isn't playing loud enough! There's a reason we don't have these kinds of problems at metal concerts

Mordred
Old 01-29-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Did he even consider the fact that the singer might have wanted to know how the rest of us were doing?"
"Everyone at a show is standing there, arms folded, having a great time, and then someone decides to get crazy. It can kill an otherwise perfect night. Unfortunately, unless the enthusiastic fan breaks something, my hands are tied."
Old 01-30-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I don't know what would be more annoying for a band. A bunch of people stonily staring at you, not moving at all, and generally looking bored. Or a bunch of people dancing around, singing along and looking like they're having a good time.

I honestly haven't been to many shows where you can hear the audience talking over the band. That's what amps are for. Of course, I usually just go to punk and metal shows.
Old 01-30-04, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by funkyryno
I honestly haven't been to many shows where you can hear the audience talking over the band. That's what amps are for. Of course, I usually just go to punk and metal shows.
Me neither. The times where this did happen was when I had nosebleed seats. Sitting down and being quiet at rock concerts sucks and is no fun for the most part. Thats why I stick to GA Floor tickets. You can be as wild as you want with other wild people as well. The one's who want to be quiet and shush everyone should stick to seats and those who want to be loud and wild should stick to the floor.

Now if someone is being wild and obnoxious near your seat...well what can you do? Bitch and moan and ruin your experience? I don't know, but I never let any other person ruin my time. I just deal with it or move to another seat.
Old 01-30-04, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
no kidding. i once saw 2 people get carried out (obviously broken an arm, or whatever) within the first 90 seconds of a slayer concert starting.
Old 01-30-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Number 1: Nevermind that I pointed out...
He plays music that is most immediately like (Smog) but a little slower -- like Will Oldham paced. Very long drawn out chords and crooning vox.
But, no, I'm the jerk because I just want to listen to my friend play his country-flecked music instead of going ape-shit like fans are, uuh, supposed to do. Ever heard of just *listening* to the act that's on stage? Whatever happened to context?

Number 2: You guys bitch like I was at a metal show on a lawn. I was in a bar, thank you. I don't have many places to go other than where I was and the chit-chat can be kept at the bar, not in front of the stage. Fer chrissakes.
Old 01-30-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I rarely go to concerts because of this. The only ones I will generally tolerate are "old" singers that I enjoy becuase the crowd tends to be more sophisticated, and the artist more respected and able to take a jerk out. Franks Sinatra comes to mind.
Old 01-30-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by fallow
Number 1: Nevermind that I pointed out... But, no, I'm the jerk because I just want to listen to my friend play his country-flecked music instead of going ape-shit like fans are, uuh, supposed to do. Ever heard of just *listening* to the act that's on stage? Whatever happened to context?

Number 2: You guys bitch like I was at a metal show on a lawn. I was in a bar, thank you. I don't have many places to go other than where I was and the chit-chat can be kept at the bar, not in front of the stage. Fer chrissakes.
Fer chrissakes, my post wasn't directed at you. I agree the stupid girls needed to get the boot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.