DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Pitchfork = Popdork? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/343094-pitchfork-%3D-popdork.html)

Penny Lane 01-24-04 12:38 AM

Pitchfork = Popdork?

Pitchfork readers, go check out the best record label in the world at www.subpop.com. Really funny.

"Pitchfork staffer says 'hi' to real life woman." :lol:

"6.0-6.9: Maybe we should put together a book of all our reviews because they're way too hard to find on our website. Paper is the new internet!"

PapaWheelie 01-24-04 01:01 AM

liked the little blurb in the "featured review" section:

Toby Keith: Shock'n Y'all What the f--k? rotfl

God knows i thought same thing when i saw the album title for the 1st time

Alyoshka 01-24-04 10:42 AM

That's pretty funny. The Deans List is good.

Hollowgen 01-24-04 12:41 PM

:lol:

Burnt Alive 01-24-04 02:23 PM

:lol:
I spit on you & your lemur. Stop it.

Hiro11 01-25-04 01:31 PM

Pitchfork blows.

Chim 01-25-04 01:50 PM

that is hilarious. Pitchfork has the worst reviews ever, they are so damn indie cool hip shique it hurts. They made me buy The Rapture's echoes, which was pure crap

fallow 01-25-04 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Chim
they are so damn indie cool hip shique it hurts.
In comparison to other web publications in the same vein? No, pfm just happens to be the most popular.

They made me buy The Rapture's echoes, which was pure crap
Yes, I'm quite sure they made you.

fallow 01-25-04 02:19 PM

I'm surprised at how much time they actually spent on the template. It really does look just like their title page.

Chim 01-25-04 02:29 PM

Originally posted by fallow
In comparison to other web publications in the same vein? No, pfm just happens to be the most popular.

Yes, I'm quite sure they made you.

**convinced. Since it was easily the best release of 2003. Because they know all that is good and mighty about music these days.

I haven't visited pitchfork since

Penny Lane 01-25-04 03:41 PM

I think some of those were making fun of music zines in general.

It's pretty funny to me, but I wonder how long it took to do that.

fallow 01-25-04 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Chim
**convinced. Since it was easily the best release of 2003. Because they know all that is good and mighty about music these days.

I haven't visited pitchfork since

Maybe you don't understand how they form those year-end lists. Ryan Schrieber isn't deciding all of the lists and then recruiting his writers for the blurbs; it is a list-by-committee.

Do you have the same regard for Pazz 'n' Jop, SPIN, Tiny Mix Tapes, and year-end lists in general? Or only PFM? Seems that the only person who thought the 'Fork knew "all that is good and mighty about music these days" is you. After all, you did buy the disc on their sole (?) recommendation.

Penny Lane, did TMT purposely avoid Echoes? I was surprised to see that it was never reviewed and noticed a little slap at them in the year-end feature (will(oma on BSS).

Penny Lane 01-25-04 05:14 PM

Penny Lane, did TMT purposely avoid Echoes? I was surprised to see that it was never reviewed and noticed a little slap at them in the year-end feature (will(oma on BSS).

I'm really not sure what happened there. Chances are, it got sent to one of our writers that didn't think it deserved attention. The way it works is that writers pretty much choose which of the discs they are sent that they want to review. That's why I'm thinking that it was overlooked.

This record in particular probably just slipped through the cracks.

jay77a 01-25-04 06:24 PM

I'm surprised at how much time they actually spent on the template. It really does look just like their title page.
No kidding. Very well done parody.

Hollowgen 01-26-04 03:28 AM

fallow, do you have any personal affiliation with pitchfork?

fallow 01-26-04 06:52 AM

I have a friend that is a newswriter for them but that is my only connection.

Penny Lane 01-26-04 07:27 AM

I have a friend that is a newswriter for them but that is my only connection.
Neat! I didn't know that. They don't think what Sub Pop did was mean-spirited, do they? We would love it if they had done it to us, but (of course) Pitchfork is the most well known indie zine. We're always making fun of ourselves, so they might've given us some new ideas. ;)

Andalusia 01-26-04 01:39 PM

2.) No self-titled records unless it is your first record. Don't be a ***. You blew your chance.

:lol: Amen.

fallow 01-26-04 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Neat! I didn't know that. They don't think what Sub Pop did was mean-spirited, do they? We would love it if they had done it to us, but (of course) Pitchfork is the most well known indie zine. We're always making fun of ourselves, so they might've given us some new ideas. ;)
He hasn't said anything about the staff being upset, and I dug around on Hipinion (the pfm board) and ILM (pfm's biggest critic/boner ;)) without seeing any tension. And for all the reaming of Vagrant, Matador, et al, that the 'Fork does, if they were to make a public statement about the cruelty of this, it'd be funny enough for crying.

I love you guys at TMT for yr self-deprecation!