Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dr. Dre [FINALLY!] starts working on "Detox"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dr. Dre [FINALLY!] starts working on "Detox"

Old 08-30-05, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chinese Detoxacy
Old 08-30-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Rap Hip Hop Producer Dr. Dre's Detox Has A Date

According to reports, legendary hip hop/rap producer Dr. Dre's Detox -- the long-awaited follow up to 1999's The Chronic 2001 -- will finally hit stores shelves this October.

The Detox project has been delayed for over two years now, causing many hip hop fans and -- even reps at Dre's label -- to be skeptical of the album's release date. At press time, Interscope officials tell sources that Detox isn't even on their official release schedule. The hold up, according to sources close to Dre, has been the producer's penchant for perfection.

Dre has reportedly been entrenched in the studio with several collaborators to complete the Detox album. According to one source, the award-winning producer has submitted over 50 beats for the album and regularly tweaks his production.

"Dre has very high standards," Mike Elizondo told Billboard. Bass-player Elizondo has worked on several projects with Dre, including Eminem, The Game and Xzibit albums, and is currently collaborating with Dre on Detox. "He wants to shock the world and put something out that no one would have ever thought possible from a hip-hop artist. He's definitely going to take his time and make sure it's right."

Meanwhile, Dre has been busy at work with his other projects. He recently collaborated with Mary J. Blige on her latest release, which also features production from The Neptunes, Kanye West, and Swizz Beats.

Look for the highly-anticipated Detox to hit stores in October... possibly.

RAPNEWS.net
Old 08-30-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
"He wants to shock the world and put something out that no one would have ever thought possible from a hip-hop artist."
I'm almost willing to bet $100 that this is not going to happen. Sure, it's run-of-them-mill hyperbole, but I think the "shocking" albums have come and gone. The last "shocking" production I heard in hip-hop was The Grey Album, or maybe Connected. I hope that this is not the rep's way of subtly suggesting that Dre's gone insane and put out some sort of overproduced Swizz Beats type of garbage. (I actually love the beat on the "Tear It Up" song but Swizz can barely come up with a halfway-decent beat every two years).

I'm willing to listen to it, and I hope it's that good. If anyone that has been established can change everything, it's Dre. Almost every single producer the past couple of years that's gotten any sort of critical or commercial praise/buzz has been a semi-unknown (Lil' Jon, Nicolay, Kanye, Danger Mouse, Kleptones, the whole grime thing) that's come out of left-field. (If you can count Lil Jon's slow, ten-year ascendacy "out of left field"). What have the big producers done?

Dre's beats with 50 (especially "In the Club") have been nothing short of remarkable, although it's the same old Dre. RZA's been fizzling for years. The Neptunes haven't made a good song in years. They churned out song after song but their new style's garbage. Premier's doing great work (occasionally), but he's not reinvented anything. The only one I could remotely give it to would be Prince Paul, but that's only because he's smart enough to team up with The Automator.

My point is: If Dre truly releases something groundbreaking, I'll be delighted. If it sounds good and you can dance to it, then I'm not going to blame him. But that's not shocking.
Old 08-30-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way this album comes out in October. That's a month away and he doesnt even have a single out. I'm guessing December at the earliest.
Old 08-31-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm thinking next year. Until I hear a single, or an official word from Dre, I won't believe anything.
Old 08-31-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Dre's beats with 50 (especially "In the Club") have been nothing short of remarkable, although it's the same old Dre. RZA's been fizzling for years. The Neptunes haven't made a good song in years. They churned out song after song but their new style's garbage. Premier's doing great work (occasionally), but he's not reinvented anything. The only one I could remotely give it to would be Prince Paul, but that's only because he's smart enough to team up with The Automator.
I think I might be one of the few who really enjoy the Neptunes newer style. That mix of minimalistic beats ("Grindin'", "I ain't heard of that", "Holla Back Girl") mixed with that electric synth 80's sound ("Excuse me miss", "Touch", "Freak Though") I love it. I was listening to some of their earlier stuff (like what they did for NORE and Cam'Ron and it was so damn boring. They are at the top of their game when they incorporate live instruments in their sound IMHO (one need look no further than the differences in the two releases of "...In search of").

Also, and I know I'm definately in the minority on this one, but I though "In The Club" was just hot garbage. The beat wasn't bad, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near Dre's best, but 50's lyrics (I cannot stand that dude) on top of a beat I already wasn't feeling to hot made that song a thorn in my side for the 8 month it dominated radio and video.

My favorite producer right now is MF Doom. I have a bunch of the MF Doon "Special Herbs and Spices" cd's and I can just listen to his beats all day. He makes some really interesting choices in where to cut samples and such. I CANNOT WAIT for the Ghostface vs Doom cd to come out. If it's as half as good as Danger Doom is, instant personal classic.
Old 08-31-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This album will not make it this year,no way in hell,Dre likes to release his first single a month before his album drops which means it should be out now,I would be shocked if this album hits in Oct.of 06 let alone 05.
Old 08-31-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. He'll promote the hell out of this album.

= J
Old 08-31-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts
I'll buy it on the day it is released whether it changes the world or not and I haven't purchased an album on the release day for over a decade.
Old 08-31-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Agreed. He'll promote the hell out of this album.

= J
A lot of talk I've heard around this record is that it's going to be his last proper album, so I'd have to agree that he's going to milk it for all it's worth. I hope "shocking" is just run-of-the-mill hyperbole; Dre's damn near the last mainstream hip-hop producer who can knock out more than two grooves an album.
Old 09-01-05, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too will buy on release day, whenever that is.

Remember the last track on Encore.

"And don't worry about that Detox album
It's comin', we gonna make Dre do it, haha"

I agree that the Chronic is a MUCH better album than 2001. But 2001 was still better than most of the other discs out at the time.
Old 09-01-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DETOX NOT OCT 2005

Rumors are going around that Dr. Dre 's Detox will hit stores shelves on Oct. 18th. This information is not true.

AFTERMUSIC.com
Old 09-01-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Figured that,Dre likes to release his albums near the summer time where it sells more and it just fits his style,my guess is early/late spring of 06,or never.
Old 02-15-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

XM radio just played "Next Episode 2006" from Dre's Detox album. Has Snoop and Nate Dogg on the track. It was an okay song.
Old 02-16-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why bother? Doesn't he have a shitty "urban" clothing line of his own to promote?

Isn't that where the real money's at?
Old 02-16-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Next Episode was my favorite song from Chronic 2001.

The uncensored video is great too.
Old 02-16-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grunter
Why bother? Doesn't he have a shitty "urban" clothing line of his own to promote?

I don't know. Why did you bother to come post in here if you aren't interested in Dre's new album?

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 02-16-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-16-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I don't know. Why did you bother to come post in here if you aren't interested in Dre's new album?
Oh, sorry.

I didn't see the "only non-critical, super-de-duper-positive me too posts allowed" sign.

My bad.
Old 02-16-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh well if what you posted was an honest question instead of a thread crap then I don't know why Dr.Dre is putting out another album personally. I do know that many people he has worked with have urged him to do so and that there are millions of fans that will buy it as soon as it is released. So maybe that has something to do with it...
Old 02-16-06, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by grunter

Maybe he likes rapping or wants to be back in the limelight.
Old 05-09-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AFTERMATH MAY UPDATES // May 01, 2006

Dr. Dre’s highly anticipated album "Detox" as well as Bishop Lamont’s Aftermath debut "The Reformation" is scheduled for a Summer/Fall of 2007 release. It’s currently being decided which of those two albums will be released first.

Eve’s Full Surface/Aftermath debut is planed for a winter of 2006/ early 2007 release and will feature production from Dr. Dre, Swizz Beats and Scott Storch.

Busta Rhymes' "The Big Bang" and Stat Quo’s "Statlanta" are confirmed for release this year. Dre has finished his production duties for Busta and Stat's Aftermath debuts and is currently working on "Detox", "The Reformation" and Snoop Dogg's "The Blue Carpet Treatment".

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 05-10-06, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
AFTERMATH MAY UPDATES // May 01, 2006

Dr. Dre’s highly anticipated album "Detox" as well as Bishop Lamont’s Aftermath debut "The Reformation" is scheduled for a Summer/Fall of 2007 release.

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
as much as i hate to say it: i'll believe it when i literally hear it. as has been said before, this album is rap's "Chinese Democracy".

if this comes true, i'll be a very happy man. but until then...
-ringding-
Old 05-10-06, 09:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
as much as i hate to say it: i'll believe it when i literally hear it. as has been said before, this album is rap's "Chinese Democracy".
No joke. 2007? You've got to be f'in kidding me.
Old 05-10-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's what happens when you produce for Busta,The Game,Stat Quo's,Eve and everyone else and there momma,the man makes a beat for his Detox album then put's it on something else,this has been happening for years now.
Old 05-10-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So... what? March 2008?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.