Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chili Pepper's Greatest Hits (and videos) thoughts

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked it up after debating for awhile, and I'm really impressed. I do have to say I wish I would've just bought "By the Way" instead since the disc doesn't have "The Zephyr Song" or "Can't Stop" - two songs I worship. But all in all it's good.

For those that have it, who sings backup/harmony at the end of "Save the Population"? Doesn't sound like Frusciante or Flea, so I thought maybe Chad Smith, but I didn't think he sings.

The backstage footage on the DVD is awesome --- really good stuff.
Old 01-20-04, 10:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I like the commentaries. The band seems really open and gives their real thoughts on their videos. Some are quite critical.

For the cd, I think it should have been a 2 cd set. They deserved it. THey have enough good songs. They left off some great classics. oh well.
Old 01-20-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i think it is john on StP, though i'm not 100% sure.. if you listen to BtW (the album), you'd be surprised at how far john has come vocally...

as for the disc, eh... as a die-hard RHCP fan for 15+ years, it's just not for me.. i dig the 2 new songs on there, but can't bring myself to listen to the rest of the disc, since it's mostly songs that i skip when i listen to the albums that they're on..

and the dvd - could have been good, but it was poorly done.. there was another thread going on about the defects of the dvd, if you wanna dig it up..
Old 01-20-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think my dvd is defective, once it gets to "suck my kiss" it doesn't go any further.
Old 01-20-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
i think my dvd is defective, once it gets to "suck my kiss" it doesn't go any further.
nope, it's just censored.

afaik, they're all like that.. one of the defects i was referring to..
Old 01-20-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm positive that's John at the end of Save the Population. His vocals have come a long way, and he's only getting better. I was pretty surprised by his rendition of the Chantels' Maybe.
Old 01-20-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by mkdevo
and the dvd - could have been good, but it was poorly done.. there was another thread going on about the defects of the dvd, if you wanna dig it up..

[my posting]

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...55#post4273555
Old 01-20-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, John's vocals certainly have come a long way if its him. I guess I was used to only hearing the high melody part on songs like Otherside, etc. ---- he sounds like a completely different guy on Save the Population, though.

I agree with a poster above --- should have definitely been a double-album, they had plenty of material (I mean there's only 1 song off Mother's Milk!!).

I do have to disagree with someone else who said he skips all the songs on the GH collection --- some of those songs made this band's career; that's not a reason to like/dislike them, but I would think a fan of the band would like most of their stuff. Still, skipping "Under the Bridge" is blasphemy.
Old 01-21-04, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Toad
I do have to disagree with someone else who said he skips all the songs on the GH collection --- some of those songs made this band's career; that's not a reason to like/dislike them, but I would think a fan of the band would like most of their stuff. Still, skipping "Under the Bridge" is blasphemy.
well, maybe i was a little harsh.. it's just all the songs that i'm sick of... put it this way, radio hits are NOT what got me into the chili peppers, and they're also not what's kept me into them for all these years..
Old 01-22-04, 09:25 PM

I got the set on release date for the 2 new songs, Soul to Squeeze and the videos. Other than being tired of some of the songs on the disc it was pretty good. I mainly got it for the DVD which I thought was excellent except for the fact it goes back to the BSSM menu after playing a video.
Old 01-23-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was a great set with some minor problems. My only gripes are that 'Can't Stop' and 'Dosed' were not included on the CD. Also I didn't like the way the DVD was setup. You have to press one too many buttons to play a video. Also when you hit the 'play all' option it plays all the videos and commentaries/back stage footage. I would have preferred the 'play all' option to play back just the videos only.
Old 01-23-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, I SOOO much wish that "Can't Stop" and "The Zephyr Song" were on there. Had I known that I liked "Can't Stop" so much, I wouldn't have bought the Greatest Hits....but then I would've missed out on "Save the Population" that I love so much.

Oh well...guess they'll get my money 2 ways since I'll but the By the Way album now.
Old 01-23-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I bought it, and burned a copy with Zephyr song, cant stop, one other song...
Old 01-24-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smart
Old 01-30-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made a mix cd of chili peppers tunes, but i put them in release order (higher ground first) and added,
around the world
zepher song
can't stop
dosed (it was released to radio)
and have now a total of 19 tracks (i had to get rid of one song) and its 79 minutes long
Old 02-08-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but I recently recall that the DVD in this set had several skipping problems. Did Warner Bros do any kind of recall or issue replacement discs? Thanks.