DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Today's CDs/Listening Pile (1/18-24) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/341982-todays-cds-listening-pile-1-18-24-a.html)

fallow 01-18-04 06:29 PM

Today's CDs/Listening Pile (1/18-24)

Alex's List o' 8 Songs That're "Doing It" Today

1. Mice Parade - "Focus on a Roller Coaster"
2. Helms - "It Takes Skin to Win"
3. Q & Not U - "Recreation Myth"
4. Blonde Redhead - "Luv Machine"
5. The Gossip - "On the Prowl"
6. Deerhoof - "Holy Night Fever"
7. Natural Dreamers - "Diamond Mines"
8. Ananda Shankar - "Streets of Calcutta"

Otherwise, I'm giving Guided By Voices a second chance after a friend nagged me into listening to Bee Thousand. I also dug through the radio station's "neglect bin" (named by me, thank you) and found The High Llamas Retrospective, Rarities, and Instrumentals (2xCD). I don't know anything about them, but thought I might as well pick it up.

QoTD: I have a friend that lost all of his LPs and CDs in an apartment fire last week, so I want to make him some tapes. He's really into 60s psychadelic, contemporary electric-acoustic, IDM, noise, eastern internat'l, and Brit-Pop. Any suggestions you can make will be greatly appreciated, especially in the eastern internat'l and 60s psych fields. Those aren't my areas.

Gdrlv 01-18-04 07:30 PM

Camper Van Beethoven - Camper Van Beethoven Is Dead, Long Live Camper Van Beethoven
From a Window: The Lost Songs of Lennon & McCartney
Okkervil River - Down the River of Golden Dreams
Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
The Fire Theft

AOTD: For some reason blanking right now...I'll try to get back to you on this one. That really stinks for your friend.

stevevt 01-18-04 07:47 PM

Not sure if I'll have time to listen to anything this week other than in my car, but here's a list of my latest order, which I should have by Tuesday:

Belle And Sebastian - Fans Only DVD
Concretes - S/T
Calla - ST (+ 3)
Consonant - Love And Affliction
Gazetteers - Territory Songs
Japanther - Dump the Body in Rikki Lake
Russian Futurists - Let's Get Ready To Crumble
Sprites - Starling, Spiders, Tiger and Sprites
Super XX Man - Vol. VII, My Usual Way
Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?

And here's the tracklist on a mixed CD I made for a friend:

1.) The Fiery Furnaces - “Asthma Attack”
2.) Magnetic Fields - “Heather Heather”
3.) Bishop Allen - “Bishop Allen Drive”
4.) King Creosote - “homeboy
5.) Missy Bly - “Randy”
6.) Shins - “Saint Simon”
7.) Metric - “Combat Baby”
8.) Menomena - “Twenty Cell Revolt”
9.) Dressy Bessy - “Baby Six String”
10.) Troubled Hubble - “Migraine”
11.) Palomar - “Static”
12.) The Rosebuds - “What Can I Do”
13.) Gossip - “Bones”
14.) The Wrens - “This Boy Is Exhausted”
15.) Decemberists - “Shiny”
16.) The Smittens - “Gentlefication Now! (the La La La Song)”
17.) Belle & Sebastian - “I'm A Cuckoo”
18.) The Hidden Cameras - “Ban Marriage”
19.) The Handsome Family - “Far from Any Road”
20.) The Postal Service - “There's Never Enough Time”
21.) Magnetic Fields - “Dreams Anymore”
22.) Summer At Shatter Creek - “The Drive”

AOTD
I have my best team working on this. Look for an edit later.

EDIT:
Silver Apples, Pearls Before Swine, Creation, White Noise, Ya Ho Wa 13, Sun Ra, Cabaret Voltaire, New Tweedy Brothers, Index, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Miles Davis (e.g., On the Corner, Aghart, or Pangaea LPs), Luc Ferrari, The Litter (1st or 2nd album), Velvet Underground (1st or 2nd), Blue Cheer (1st or 2nd), Quicksilver Messenger Service (1st or 2nd), Human Instinct (1st)

Jacks, Flower Travellin' Band, Magical Power Mako (all Japanese, to fulfill the eastern thing)

fallow 01-18-04 09:13 PM

Maybe it'd help to list some tracks that I plan on working with.

Brian Eno - "Needle in the Camel's Eye"
Natural Dreamers - "Diamond Mines"
Ananda Shankar - "Streets of Calcutta"
Can - "Paperhouse"
James White & the Blacks - "Contort Yourself"
Avey Tare & Panda Bear - "April and the Phantom"
Japanther - "Super Loser"
Fennesz - "Caecilia"
The Modern Lovers - "Astral Plane"
Talking Heads - "Crosseyed and Painless" or "Houses in Motion"
The Dance - "Do Dada"
Television - "Prove It"
Xiu Xiu - "Clowne Towne"

I'll probably include work from Boredoms, DMBQ, Charambalides, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Comets on Fire, Iran, Double Leopards, Thuja, Supersilent, Tujiko Noriko, Matt MV Valentine and Tim Hecker. I just don't know which songs yet.

white hot mass 01-18-04 09:48 PM

Haven't got a clue about this week's listnening selection yet, but...

Aotd: Any of the super furry animals' albums sound like something he would enjoy. The newest one is my favorite, particularly the final track.

Yancey 01-19-04 10:25 AM

Michael Mayer, <i>Speicher CD 1</i>
The Boggs, <i>Stitches</i>
Tortoise, <i>It's All Around You</i>
LFO, <i>Frequencies</i>
Green Velvet, <i>Green Velvet</i>
TV on the Radio, <i>Young Liars</i>
Kompakt, <i>Total 3</i>
Various Artists, <i>Ragga! Ragga! Ragga! 2003</i>
Symbiosis, <i>Clandestine Electronic Subculture</i>
Robbers on High Street, Demo
Andrew Weatherall, <i>Hypercity</i>

SAShepherd 01-19-04 11:36 AM

Strokes - Room On Fire
R.E.M. - Green
TMBG - Mink Car
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
U2 - Achtung Baby

AOTD: Haven't got the foggiest idea about your friend's tape mixes. That is definitely not cool about the apartment fire. (Although I've always wondered if my house burned down and the insurance company cut me a check for my CDs how many of them I'd buy once more...)

fallow 01-20-04 10:29 AM

Alex's List o' 8 Songs That're Making Him Wait for the GF to Get Out of Chem Lab (or: "Why the Hell Does She Have a 3 Hour Class?")

1. Arto Lindsay - "Mar Da Gavea"
2. Astrud Gilberto - "Dindi"
3. Serge Gainsbourg w/ Brigitte Bardot - "69 Annee Erotique"
4. The Zombies - "Time of the Season"
5. Nolan Porter - "If I Could Only Be Sure"
6. Bedhead - "More Than Ever"
7. The Cure - "Closedown"
8. My Bloody Valentine - "Blown a Wish"

-edit-

Is that a new Tortoise, Yancey? How is it?

Cosmic Bus 01-20-04 10:44 AM

I haven't bought a new CD in weeks, but should be picking up John Vanderslice's Cellar Door with some store credit today (assuming they even got a copy).

jonnyrocks 01-20-04 12:17 PM

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Master and Everyone
Julie Doiron/Okkervil River - Acuarela Split EP ("He Passes Number Thirty-Three" is an AMAZING song!!!)
Menomena - I Am the Fun Blame Monster!
The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas
Oneida - Secret Wars
Pedro the Lion - The Only Reason I Fell Secure
Alasdair Roberts - Farewell Sorrow
John Vanderslice - Cellar Door
Tom Waits - Closing Time

AOTD - I can somewhat relate to your friend's experience. A few years ago, my neighbors' house was on fire, and the firefighters needed to drag the hose up to my former room to both battle the fire next door and to make sure that the fire hadn't jumped to our house. Luckily, everyone was alright...but upon returning to my room, I found that a good amount of my CD's had been damaged (water damage, trampled upon, etc.), which was partly my fault, because I hadn't finished settling in from moving back into my parents' house after college. Anyway, I tried to claim a little over $2000 with the insurance people, but they gave about half of that. Granted, my CD's didn't exactly burn in the fire, but they were damaged in a fire-related incident, so I'm sure that's why I got a bit from the insurance company. I'm sure that it's tough for your friend, but as long as your friend is ok, then he should feel grateful...and he should be happy to have a friend like you to help him start rockin' again! I'll try to come up with a decent list for you.

stevevt 01-20-04 04:41 PM

Originally posted by jonnyrocks
Julie Doiron/Okkervil River - Acuarela Split EP ("He Passes Number Thirty-Three" is an AMAZING song!!!)

Agreed about He Passes. Do you have Stars Too Small to Use? It's on that, also.

Yancey 01-21-04 08:51 AM

Yeah it is the new Tortoise, fallow, and it's boring, at least based on the two listens I've given it so far. Then again, what Tortoise record isn't boring? (aside portions of <i>TNT</i> and the first song on the last record)

fallow 01-21-04 10:51 AM

I guess that means I'll love it!

Yancey 01-21-04 12:16 PM

Perhaps so. There are some vocals!

jonnyrocks 01-21-04 06:21 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
Agreed about He Passes. Do you have Stars Too Small to Use? It's on that, also.
Yeah, but the split EP is much more polished and plenty tighter than the Stars version, especially with the transition into the key change towards the end. Nonetheless, it is an excellent little tune!

Quake1028 01-22-04 05:24 PM

Aesop Rock - "Bazooka Tooth"
C Rayz Walz - "Ravipops (The Substance)"

WestEndRiot 01-22-04 06:47 PM

Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder...

...over and over again. awesome f'n cd.

and maybe some Street Dogs and Rancid.

Buford T Pusser 01-22-04 06:53 PM

April March-Triggers

fallow 01-22-04 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
April March-Triggers
I rather like this CD. I assume you are a Stereolab fan, as well?

Today I've been listening to Boredoms' Super Ae and the Soul Jazz British Hustle compilation. What can I say about the Boredoms that hasn't been said already? Great abstract work from Japan - if Pollack made music, it might sound like this (minus the depression and alcoholism). The comp is a collection of British funk and disco from the 70s, so it is great dance mix fodder but throws images of Old Navy polartec fleeces and cargo pants around a little too much. Hi-Tension's song "British Hustle" is da illin'est.

Buford T Pusser 01-23-04 12:25 AM

Originally posted by fallow
I rather like this CD. I assume you are a Stereolab fan, as well?

Today I've been listening to Boredoms' Super Ae and the Soul Jazz British Hustle compilation. What can I say about the Boredoms that hasn't been said already? Great abstract work from Japan - if Pollack made music, it might sound like this (minus the depression and alcoholism). The comp is a collection of British funk and disco from the 70s, so it is great dance mix fodder but throws images of Old Navy polartec fleeces and cargo pants around a little too much. Hi-Tension's song "British Hustle" is da illin'est.

I just got back from an April March just minutes ago. I started a thread here in the forum about her but she's pretty much unknown. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=341706

I picked up a 12" she was selling tonight w/some new stuff. She was also selling most of her life's work but I already had most of it.

Yes I like Stereolab, but I haven't heard everything. A friend of mine loves the band.

I saw the Boredoms open f/Nirvana but I'd never heard them before so it just sounded like noise to me.