Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Alanis Morissette's new album "So-Called Chaos" due 4/13/04

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-16-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Alanis Creates New 'Chaos'

Singer/songwriter Alanis Morissette will unveil her new album, "So-Called Chaos," April 13 on Maverick Records. The 10-track set was co-produced by the artist with John Shanks and Tim Thorney and finds her backed by her touring band of guitarists David Levita and Jason Orme, bassist Eric Avery, keyboardist Zac Rae and drummer Blair Sinta.

"I had spent a few years rising to my own occasion in terms of wanting to see, out of curiosity, what producing a record on my own would be like," Morissette says. "Then once I tasted what that was like, I realized my favorite aspect of making a record was the writing of it. This way was so much more relaxing for me."

First single "Everything" is expected to hit U.S. radio outlets in late February and will be accompanied by a video. Other tracks include rockers such as "Excuses" and "Eight Easy Steps," the more mid-tempo "Out Is Through," the title cut and "Spineless," with the latter two described as "adventurous soundscapes."

Morissette will tour extensively in support of the new album. "I am beside myself with anticipation to tour," she says. "I'm really excited to travel the world even more than I have over the last couple of years. In keeping with wanting my life to be a little bit more balanced, I'd love to make it that I'm touring whether I have a record out or not, and the tours themselves won't be breakneck year-and-a-half tours."

The artist also recorded acoustic versions of 14 songs from her back catalog, with an eye on releasing them in some form later this year. "I am inspired to balance my energy expenditure and my energy rejuvenation, regardless of what it is that I'm doing with my days," she reveals.

"So-Called Chaos" is the follow-up to 2002's "Under Rug Swept," which debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and featured the single "Hands Clean," which reached No. 3 on Billboard's Adult Top 40 chart.

Here is the "So-Called Chaos" track list:

"Eight Easy Steps"
"Out Is Through"
"Excuses"
"Doth I Protest Too Much"
"Knees of My Bees"
"Not All Me"
"So-Called Chaos"
"This Grudge"
"Spineless"
"Everything"

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 01-16-04, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent news

Cannot wait for the next album and tour to start, caught her in concert once and have been hooked ever since.....iLLz
Old 02-11-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
The release of Alanis Morissette's new album, "So-Called Chaos," has been bumped from April 13 to May 18 to accommodate "changes in the worldwide marketing plan for the album," according to a spokesperson. First single "Everything" will be serviced March 23 to U.S. radio outlets for airplay consideration.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 02-11-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I thought the new marketing scheme was to push the date UP and blame it on downloaders...?
Old 02-11-04, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Excellent news

Originally posted by WNYXican
Cannot wait for the next album and tour to start, caught her in concert once and have been hooked ever since.....iLLz
Exactly the same here. I saw her when she toured with Tori Amos. I only went to see Tori, but Alanis absolutely floored me.
Old 02-11-04, 12:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

She blew off Minneapolis on the last tour. I hope she fixes that this time around.
Old 02-11-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's awesome! I've been a huge fan since Jagged Little Pill. I can never get enough.
Old 02-11-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Excellent news

Originally posted by Jack's Smirking
Exactly the same here. I saw her when she toured with Tori Amos. I only went to see Tori, but Alanis absolutely floored me.
That was an amazing show here in Az. Tori first, then Alanis. I had seen Tori 3 times before and even when she was "big" they were all in smaller venues.

I didn't think the Tori half was that good and didn't know what to expect from Alanis, who I like a lot, but not as much as Tori.

But she was amazing! Her voice was great, the show was great, and how she is able to spin her hair and head like she does without it coming off is something I will always marvel at. I became a much bigger fan after that show and look forward to the new album.
Old 02-12-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will buy... I liked JLP, LOVED and still listen to Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, and really enjoyed Under Rug Swept for a while (though I haven't listened to it in about a year), but part of it was too poppy.

Anyway, I will definitely get this on its release date.
Old 02-12-04, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Excellent news

Originally posted by dolphinboy
That was an amazing show here in Az. Tori first, then Alanis. I had seen Tori 3 times before and even when she was "big" they were all in smaller venues.

I didn't think the Tori half was that good and didn't know what to expect from Alanis, who I like a lot, but not as much as Tori.

But she was amazing! Her voice was great, the show was great, and how she is able to spin her hair and head like she does without it coming off is something I will always marvel at. I became a much bigger fan after that show and look forward to the new album.
Wow, change the venue to Florida and that's my exact story, too. I love Tori, but I had seen her in more intimate venues, where she really reacted to the crowd. She did not seem to translate as well to a large arena (Ice Palace).

Alanis, on the other hand, was like a maniac on stage. The whole spinning with her hair making an arc around her head thing was incredible, and she just seemed like she was having the time of her life. She made a permenant fan out of me that night.
Old 02-12-04, 11:07 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Excellent news

Originally posted by Jack's Smirking
(Ice Palace).

Hey! I was at that same show!!

Yeah, it rocked!