DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   OT posts split from another thread by me [Benedict] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/341237-ot-posts-split-another-thread-me-%5Bbenedict%5D.html)

kenbuzz 01-14-04 01:33 PM

Originally posted by benedict
If you two guys look at Cottington's current member status - which has been in place for 24 hours - you will see why you are skating on very thin ice; particularly given the warnings already posted concerning off-topicality. I hope I can rely on your commonsense here....

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

Does "you two guys" include me? If so, where can I read those warnings about "off-topicality"??? I'm a first-time music forum poster, so I don't know about these things.

the aftermath 01-14-04 02:11 PM

Originally posted by benedict
If you two guys look at Cottington's current member status - which has been in place for 24 hours - you will see why you are skating on very thin ice; particularly given the warnings already posted concerning off-topicality. I hope I can rely on your commonsense here....
I love the way they look, and seeing how the topic asks if I "love the Spice Girls" I really don't see how it would be off topic to talk about their looks. ;)

Josh H 01-14-04 02:30 PM

Originally posted by kenbuzz
Does "you two guys" include me? If so, where can I read those warnings about "off-topicality"??? I'm a first-time music forum poster, so I don't know about these things.
Don't know if it included you, but here's a link to the guidelines for this forum.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=214035

Off topicality, would fall under thread crapping in cases like this, as all posts in this thread should be discussing whether the person likes the spice girls or not, not bashing the thread or thread starter.

kenbuzz 01-14-04 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Off topicality, would fall under thread crapping in cases like this, as all posts in this thread should be discussing whether the person likes the spice girls or not, not bashing the thread or thread starter.
So asking the thread starter to "tell me what he thinks, what he really, really thinks" would be on-topic, but discussing what's on-topic would be off-topic, right? :)

Gosh, I was just trying to inject some humor using the only Spice Girl line I know (tell me what you want, what you really, really want). Who knew? Looks like I'll steer clear of the music forums from now on.

Josh H 01-14-04 02:45 PM

This is kind of an isolated case where:

1. The thread starter has started to many of these type of threads.

2. People have been giving him crap about it and have been warned to stop.

Thus your humor was taken as unappropriate given the situation, as it just seems like another member posting a sarcastic response to one of these threads.

In other words, it's not a typical music forum issue, but a more case specific one.

kenbuzz 01-14-04 02:52 PM

I can see that, but I'm still confused why my comment (such as it was) and the comment above mine (asking for clarification of which girl went by which spice name) would be grounds for a warning from the moderator? In spite of mine being terribly clever, it wasn't off-topic and it wasn't posted knowing the history behind the original poster. The one above mine was an honest question, as I was wondering the same thing (Posh = ?, Sporty = ?).

I understand what you're saying Josh, I just don't understand the need to warn other posters, particularly if the actual (and to my mind, onlw) troublemaker was the thread starter. Ah well, continuing to discuss why the mod issued a warning is only dragging this thread further and further OT. I'm done here.

BRIAN 1972 01-14-04 03:42 PM

Originally posted by kenbuzz
I can see that, but I'm still confused why my comment (such as it was) and the comment above mine (asking for clarification of which girl went by which spice name) would be grounds for a warning from the moderator? In spite of mine being terribly clever, it wasn't off-topic and it wasn't posted knowing the history behind the original poster. The one above mine was an honest question, as I was wondering the same thing (Posh = ?, Sporty = ?).

I understand what you're saying Josh, I just don't understand the need to warn other posters, particularly if the actual (and to my mind, onlw) troublemaker was the thread starter. Ah well, continuing to discuss why the mod issued a warning is only dragging this thread further and further OT. I'm done here.

it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

benedict 01-14-04 04:55 PM

Weird how so many people decided to get humourous right after Cottington was suspended.... :rolleyes:

First, kenbuzz, if you have a problem with a moderating decision, after three and a half year's membership you should know to do it by email.

Second, as you don't display your email I did the warning in public to save asking an Admin for it and drawing special attention to those involved. Also, posting publicly in-thread reminds anyone else thinking of trying the same thing that it is not looked upon kindly.

Third, your comment as to the guy posting above you is made in ignorance of the full facts on which I cannot enlarge publicly.

Finally, I'm glad you at last accepted that you took the thread wildly off-topic rather than just heeding the warning. Maybe if you'd looked around the other Cottington threads you'd have seen where I was coming from....

Anyways, this whole business has taken rather too much time trying to tread the fine line. So next time if I decide instead to use the scattergun, take-no-prisoners approach maybe people will see why.

benedict 01-17-04 05:15 AM

I've changed the title of this thread in case anyone was in doubt that I was the person who split it off from the earlier one in which it is off-topic: kenbuzz did not start the thread personally: effectively I started it in order to highlight the problems that were being caused in keeping certain threads on-topic and to avoid the maligning of a currently-suspended member. For the record, I accept that some people were unaware of the bigger picture but, in all fairness, I cannot pick my way through who was up to speed and who was wandering in blind....

So, for the avoidance of further doubt, whether ignorant of the fact or no, any "calling-out" or ribbing of a suspended or banned member is verboten here.

I note that despite the numerous request, warnings etc it has to some extent continued during my recent absence from the forums caused by computer problems. I have now have emailed those concerned.

Please also remember to check the long-standing sticky thread atop this board<ul><li><A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214035" target="_blank">READ THIS FIRST: concerning bootlegs, threadcraps, personal attacks etc. </a></li></ul>
concerning some of the points that Music Talk posters - new and old - would do well to bear in mind.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk