DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New CD -- Norah Jones "Feels Like Home" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/340664-new-cd-norah-jones-feels-like-home.html)

Rogue588 01-12-04 03:31 AM

Norah Jones News -- New Single, CD

From Unofficially Norah Jones

http://www.norahjones.info/images/ne...-like-home.jpg

Blue Note Records has confirmed "Feels Like Home" as the title for the new Norah Jones album. "Sunrise" is the first single and will be available as a digital single in early January. The album street date in February 10, 2004 in the US. February 9, 2004 for the rest of the World.

Tracklisting:

1. Sunrise (Lee Alexander/Norah Jones)
2. What Am I to You? (Norah Jones)
3. Those Sweet Words (Lee Alexander/Richard Julian)
4. Carnival Town (Lee Alexander/Norah Jones)
5. In the Morning (Adam Levy)
6. Be Here to Love Me (Townes Van Zandt)
7. Creepin’ In (Lee Alexander)
8. Toes (Lee Alexander/Norah Jones)
9. Humble Me (Kevin Breit)
10. Above Ground (Andrew Borger/Daru Oda)
11. The Long Way Home (Tom Waits)
12. The Prettiest Thing (Lee Alexander/Norah Jones)
13. Don’t Miss You At All (Duke Ellington with lyrics by Norah Jones)

NEW SINGLE "SUNRISE" AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD
Starting on Tuesday, January 13th, "Sunrise," the first single from Norah's new CD entitled "Feels Like Home", will be available at all commercial digital download stores (including Apple iTunes, MusicNet, BuyMusic.com, Real.com, Napster.com to name a few). Visit your favorite digital download site to check out the new single before the CD is available.

*RG3* 01-12-04 10:08 AM

I think Norah has an amazingly incredible voice but it just saddens me that she doesn't write a majoity of the songs she releases.

Regardless, I look forward to this album.

das Monkey 01-12-04 12:22 PM

Very much looking forward to this as well. To hijack with TV thoughts, anytime I hear "Nightingale" I get shivers after the <i>Everwood</i> episode that featured it.

das

DrRingDing 01-13-04 05:49 AM

the thing that kinda tweaks me about this is...

no song by jesse harris?

-di doctor-

Cottington 01-13-04 10:56 AM

Norah and Jesse have broken up. She is now best friends with Britney Spears. Not that Im saying anything.

"Britney Spears, for example, is one of Norah Jones' buddies who liked to drop by for concerts.

"She was cool. A very nice girl," Cleland says. "Norah tried to get her out on our bus for a week so she could get back to earth. But she couldn't. She had no control over her own schedule."

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainmen...1347296651.xml

Rogue588 01-13-04 11:11 AM

Originally posted by DrRingDing
no song by jesse harris?
No song written/cowritten by Jesse. But, according to this, he's on the album. As a guitarist.

And, i'm assuming the "broken up" comment refers to a working relationship...

Rogue588 02-08-04 02:04 PM

Bumping this since it's being released on Tuesday.

Amazon.com has it for $13.49.

Best Buy has it for $9.99. As does Circuit City.

I've been listening to it for a couple weeks now and i'd highly recommend it.

And while you're there, check out Joss Stone. She's got a great voice like Norah and her first album is FUNKY as hell. The whole album is great, but i've been diggin' her cover of the White Stripes’ "Fell in Love with a Girl."

Jason Bovberg 02-09-04 12:24 PM

Any plans for SACD?

mljones99 02-10-04 04:19 PM

I picked it up at Best Buy. Haven't listened to it yet, though.

Rogue588 02-10-04 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Any plans for SACD?
I haven't heard anything regarding it...yet.

DJLinus 02-10-04 06:00 PM

I am LOVING this CD. Granted, it sounds a lot like her last one, but that's not such a bad thing.

Alyoshka 02-10-04 07:52 PM

Jesse Harris is so cool. I'll still have to try to check this out a little before I make any comments about it. I'm sure it's a beautiful album though.

Rogue588 02-10-04 11:21 PM

One more note:

If you buy Norah at Circuit City, they're offering a DVD sampler. It features the following:
  • Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
  • the Scientist - Coldplay
  • [There's Gotta Be] More To Life - Stacie Orrico
  • Diamonds On the Inside - Ben Harper
  • the Making Of the Soul Sessions - Joss Stone
  • Slow - Kylie Minogue
  • Find A Way - Dwele
  • I Can't Stop - Al Green
  • When Love Takes You In - Steven Curtis Chapman
  • One Horse Town - the Thrills
  • Way Away - Yellowcard
  • Get Yourself High - Chemical Brothers featuring K-OS
  • Weak And Powerless - A Perfect Circle
Even though i'm a reward zone member at Best Buy - Norah, Joss, Al, A Perfect Circle & Coldplay convinced me to grab another copy.

Well, them, and the fact that i'm addicted to DVDs.

However, I don't know why "Don't Know Why" wasn't on the disc. Oh wait...I do. It's because I already have "Come Away With Me" on DVD. [It's on her live DVD]. At the very least, they could've put some footage from that commercial of hers for her new album on there.

MrE 02-11-04 03:39 PM

Originally posted by *RG3*
I think Norah has an amazingly incredible voice but it just saddens me that she doesn't write a majoity of the songs she releases.

Her voice is her genius, along with her taste in songs. I'm happy to leave the songwriting to folks who can't sing.

sugardaddy 02-11-04 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588

And while you're there, check out Joss Stone. She's got a great voice like Norah and her first album is FUNKY as hell. The whole album is great, but i've been diggin' her cover of the White Stripes’ "Fell in Love with a Girl." [/B]
That's funny you mentioned this because when I picked up Norah Jones (which I didn't like and I'm gonna have a friend buy off me), I also picked up the Joss Stone album. I love her voice and her CD is really good, especially "Fell In Love With A Boy".

kurupt 02-12-04 07:38 AM

This is a very good cd. Perfect ambiant music. I don't know if it will stand the "test of time" (I still listen to her last disc), but as of right now, I'm not disappointed at all.

DodgingCars 02-12-04 12:18 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
I am LOVING this CD. Granted, it sounds a lot like her last one, but that's not such a bad thing.
I like the CD too, but I disagree that it sounds a lot like her last one. In fact I sent an email to a friend of mine whos a fan and warned him that though its good, its a departure from her last album. The most obvious change is that many of her songs have a bluegrass feel to it...

But yeah.. so far I like it and so does my wife.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-12-04 09:07 PM

This isnt a thread crap but, did anyone see her on TV this morning? I think it was good morning america or something like that?

DAMN, she is BUSTED! They make her look attractive on the cd covers ...they must do a TON of air brushing!
I was really suprised...
she has an awful complexion..
bad teeth..
I couldnt believe it...

milo bloom 02-13-04 10:21 PM

Got it playing right now. Very similar to Come Away with Me, but I get that bluegrass hint it has.

I just heard that Joss Stone Fell In Love... cover again this afternoon, and it continues to blow me away.

sfsdfd 02-15-04 11:46 PM

I've been positively <i>bombarded</i> with "Humble Me" - I've heard it twice on the radio since Friday, and the CD was on repeat at Borders today, so I heard it another four times while studying. It's too nice a song for me to get sick of hearing it so quickly...

- David Stein

kurupt 02-16-04 07:32 PM

Kind of off topic, but I have to agree with everyone about Joss Stone. The album is incredible. I really hope that she doesn't abandon this type of music and turn into a "pop princess".

retihsuhnt 02-17-04 01:02 PM

Okay Ill get this thread back on track in a sec, but I have to say something about Joss Stone. Yes she says all the right things about loving Timmy Thomas and so on, but she is a teenager trying to sound like a soul singer.

Now Im not knocking her, I actually like her stuff, but lets give props/praise to those who she is imitating. You can sing soul and sound good at it without borrowing other's work.

Okay Im off my soapbox now.

Back on topic, I picked up Jones' CD over the weekend and while I agree that its a continuation of her first (mass produced) album, I do see some growth in her 'work'.

Rogue588 02-18-04 03:27 PM

GOOD for her!

Jones Sells 1 Million-Plus of New Album

NEW YORK (AP) - Norah Jones' "Feels Like Home,'' the follow-up to her multiplatinum, Grammy-winning debut album, has sold over 1 million copies in its first week, the highest sales debut for an album since 2001.

No act has posted more than 1 million in sales since 'N Sync sold 1.9 million copies of "Celebrity'' in the summer of 2001. "Feels Like Home'' was released Feb. 10, and for the week ending Sunday, it sold 1,022,149 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"This is the kind of achievement that one can only expect from a truly original, extraordinary artist like Norah,'' Bruce Lundvall, head of Blue Note Records, Jones' label, said Wednesday.

"It's not very often that an artist can span so many genres and enjoy such broad appeal. But that's what happens when the music is this good.''

Jones' first album, "Come Away With Me,'' was a surprise hit when it was released in 2002. The album of folky jazz tunes wasn't expected to sell 100,000, but has now sold more than 8 million copies. It also won eight Grammys last year, including album of the year.

It continues to be a strong seller, and actually rose in sales, from about 43,000 in the previous week to 80,000 for the week ending Sunday.

Jones' platinum debut eclipsed a strong debut from rapper Kanye West, whose acclaimed "College Dropout'' sold about 441,000 copies.

Tarnower 02-18-04 04:21 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Snorah Jones.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DJLinus 02-18-04 04:28 PM

Re: GOOD for her!

Originally posted by Rogue588
Jones Sells 1 Million-Plus of New Album

NEW YORK (AP) - Norah Jones' "Feels Like Home,'' the follow-up to her multiplatinum, Grammy-winning debut album, has sold over 1 million copies in its first week, the highest sales debut for an album since 2001.

Note to the RIAA and major labels: this million-selling release was priced at $9.99 at Best Buy, Circuit City, and who knows what other retailers that week.*

*(Although the argument could be made that a segment of her broad fan base doesn't know how to use file-sharing services, thus had no other option to buy)