Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New CD -- Norah Jones "Feels Like Home"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New CD -- Norah Jones "Feels Like Home"

Old 02-18-04, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: GOOD for her!

Originally posted by DJLinus
Note to the RIAA and major labels: this million-selling release was priced at $9.99 at Best Buy, Circuit City, and who knows what other retailers that week.*

*(Although the argument could be made that a segment of her broad fan base doesn't know how to use file-sharing services, thus had no other option to buy)
As I looked at the weekend BB/CC ads, I noted that you'd expect an album a major star (selling 8 million albums domestically represents a star in my book) releases to have some sort of bonus material (e.g., live disc, DVD) to encourage some percentage of downloaders to buy the album. Guess Blue Note/Virgin didn't figure it was necessary in this case.

Guess they were right.
Old 02-18-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Re: Re: GOOD for her!

Originally posted by SAShepherd
As I looked at the weekend BB/CC ads, I noted that you'd expect an album a major star (selling 8 million albums domestically represents a star in my book) releases to have some sort of bonus material (e.g., live disc, DVD) to encourage some percentage of downloaders to buy the album. Guess Blue Note/Virgin didn't figure it was necessary in this case.

Guess they were right.
Funny too, since the album was on the 'net three weeks before the release date...

Guess that says something about the music...
Old 02-19-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I was perfectly capable of dl'ing it, but I wanted to support her so I bought it.
Old 02-19-04, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Funny too, since the album was on the 'net three weeks before the release date...

Guess that says something about the music...
Don't know if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here (or merely expressing your displeasure with the RIAA) ... All I was doing was agreeing with DJLinus' theorization that perhaps her fan base is less likely to download -- without buying -- than other artists' fan bases. (My 70-year-old in-laws, for example, last November said they wanted -- exact quote here -- "that CD by that young singer" and I knew exactly who they were talking about.)

I don't want to get into the debate into whether downloading hurts or helps artists' sales. I was merely noting that I didn't think a sizeable majority of Norah's fan base would even know or want to download her work.

Hey, I like Norah -- it's been a long time since an artist I cared about sold a million records in a week.
Old 02-19-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It amazes me that she can sell 1 million+ in her first week and some people have never heard of her. Including me until last year's Grammys
Old 02-19-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by SAShepherd
Don't know if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here (or merely expressing your displeasure with the RIAA) ...
All of the above.

I'm still waiting to see if the RIAA puts their unique spin on this. As I said before, the album was available on the 'net three weeks before release date. Did they go the "we're going to push up the release date due to the internet/pirates" route? Nope. That's why I said I think it's a testament to the music. Of course, the first week's bargain price doesn't hurt either. Outkast is another example of this.
All I was doing was agreeing with DJLinus' theorization that perhaps her fan base is less likely to download -- without buying -- than other artists' fan bases. (My 70-year-old in-laws, for example, last November said they wanted -- exact quote here -- "that CD by that young singer" and I knew exactly who they were talking about.)

I don't want to get into the debate into whether downloading hurts or helps artists' sales. I was merely noting that I didn't think a sizeable majority of Norah's fan base would even know or want to download her work.
And I agree and disagree with this. While there might be some who don't know how to download, i'm sure there are more like milo bloom who want to support her.

Myself included.

[at least until she starts kissing Madonna or wearing ass-less chaps...]
Old 02-20-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Hey, I like Norah -- it's been a long time since an artist I cared about sold a million records in a week."

Right on man!!! Hey RIAA!!!! LISTEN UP!!! Give me an artist like Norah Jones who I like and I'll buy as many as you can put out. Otherwise SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.....had to get that out. Peace with all(except the RIAA).