DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   If you like... You would love... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/339243-if-you-like-you-would-love.html)

Cusm 01-05-04 10:47 AM

If you like... You would love...

based on a few other post in here, I thought I would try this out. Respond to the previous responce, post your recommendation. It does not have to be the same style, just a group that in your opinion based on the previous artist, you think is an artist that person would also like. I think Allmusic, CDNow and other retailers suck at offering this type of advise. I once saw Mr. Bungle as a listing for Ween, and while I like both of these, Mr. Bungle is not for your casual Ween listener.
Try to give a good starting point, for example if I recomended Love and Rockets, I would suggest Earth.Sun.Moon.or Express as albums to start off with, or No New Tale to Tell as a good starting song.

I will start with CKY, suggesting Vol. 1 to start with.

BRIAN 1972 01-05-04 01:30 PM

The reason why I thought that Cky would not work is that it is too obscure (IMO) to be mentioned in a name game where the longevity of the game depends how many people will know the last name posted. dig?

Cusm 01-05-04 02:07 PM

Actually the obscurity was what I was looking for. There are enough people here that know this alternative/punk/indie rock/non-clear channel/etc music to do this, IMO. Plus I am really interested in some other suggestions to this band, the original reason for starting this thread.

Besides what fun is knowing if you like Jessica, you would love a Britney or some other crap?

saoirse 01-05-04 03:21 PM

CKY the band? I'd say perhaps Sebadoh, Sentridoh, Lou Barlow, Folk Implosion or Dinosaur Jr. For the harder stuff perhaps GG Allen or Upsidedowncross or Dayglo Abortions.

CKY the crazies? I'd say Steve-O

Hope I did good, though I've only heard a few CKY songs.

OK if I like BT (the last two albums), I might like...

BRIAN 1972 01-05-04 03:48 PM

Originally posted by saoirse
CKY the band? I'd say perhaps Sebadoh, Sentridoh, Lou Barlow, Folk Implosion or Dinosaur Jr. For the harder stuff perhaps GG Allen or Upsidedowncross or Dayglo Abortions.

CKY the crazies? I'd say Steve-O

Hope I did good, though I've only heard a few CKY songs.

OK if I like BT (the last two albums), I might like...

you've got to be f'n kidding, right? folk implosion meet GG Allin??? and who is BT? Blues Traveler? Buffalo Tom?

saoirse 01-05-04 04:00 PM

Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
you've got to be f'n kidding, right? folk implosion meet GG Allin??? and who is BT? Blues Traveler? Buffalo Tom?
Please form complete ideas and then perhaps I'll respond to your anger and mulitple question marks.

Also, I was addressing the thread starter not crapper.

Gdrlv 01-05-04 09:18 PM

If you like BT, try The New Deal, The Baldwin Brothers or Particle.

Hope you like.

BRIAN 1972 01-06-04 07:48 AM

Originally posted by saoirse
Please form complete ideas and then perhaps I'll respond to your anger and mulitple question marks.

Also, I was addressing the thread starter not crapper.

whatever. fine. gg allin? my question still stands.

also, i did not crap on the thread - i simply noticed that after over 100 views no one responded to what could be a nice little thread. obviously you changed all that with BT.

saoirse 01-06-04 11:36 AM

Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
whatever. fine. gg allin? my question still stands.

To Clarify, as mentioned I have only heard a few CKY songs (mostly on their DVD's). The one that sticks in my mind the most reminds me of Sebadoh. Sentridoh, Folk Implosion, Dino Jr. are all connected to Sebadoh, though the style differs from mellow folk to all out punk. Hence the inclusion of Folk Implosion.

As for GG Allin, one of the band members of CKY is a big fan of GG and I have heard a couple of CKY songs (or perhaps covers) which are very similar to GG Allin.

Hope that helps.

saoirse 01-06-04 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
If you like BT, try The New Deal, The Baldwin Brothers or Particle.

Hope you like.

Thanks a lot, I will try to check them out within the next few days.

Here's a couple:

if you like Black Eyed Peas, check out Common, Mos Def or The Roots.

If you like Pennywise, you'd love Bad Religion.