Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New INCUBUS - A Crow Left of the Murder - 2/03/04

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-28-03, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incubus will release their latest album, 'A Crow Left Of The Murder' on February 3, 2004.

The first single is "Megalomaniac".

Producer: Brendan O'Brian

Track Titles:
1-Megalomaniac
2-A Crow Left of the Murder
3-Agoraphobia
4-Talk Shows on Mute
5-Beware! Criminal
6-Sick, Sad Little World
7-Pistola
8-Southern Girl
9-Priceless
10-Zedeveel
11-Made for TV Movie
12-Smile Lines
13-Here in My Room
14-Leech

Saw them at lollapalooza this year and they were great live. Even the new songs were very impressive.
Old 12-28-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard some of the new tracks at lollapalooza and agree. I have high hopes for this record.
Old 12-29-03, 02:12 AM
Suspended

Incubus New Video
Old 12-29-03, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-29-03, 10:25 AM

For those who have heard some songs: Which previous album does it sound like most?
Old 12-29-03, 10:49 AM
Retired

I can't wait for this. They played Meglomaniac and Pistola when I saw them at Lollapalooza and I loved both songs.

As for which album they sound most like, tough to say. I'd be inclined to say Make Yourself, but they really sound like a mix of all their old albums.

Thanks for the link, awesome video.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-29-03 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice!!
Old 12-29-03, 03:46 PM

from incubusonline.com

The new album will be an enhanced CD with behind the scenes video.

Incubus' manager Steve Renie: "As you all know the guys have been working away on the new album which we expect to come out in Feb '04 and they've got about 11 songs 'done' and still another 6-7 to go. For the record the 2 songs that they have worked into the set are called "Megolomaniac" and "Pistola". As the tour moves on they are likely to add a couple of more new songs into the set called "Beware Criminal", "A Crow Left of the Murder", and "Talk Shows On Mute".

Mike and Brandon discuss the new songs. Mike describes them as "Like the old shit, but older. It's very different. It's very energetic and fast, and a lot of it is more technical, I guess maybe in the vein of more of our older songs...they don't sound like our older songs, but they are more, uh, Exploratory."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, it seems like the title (A Crow Left of the Murder) might be a play on words. Any ideas?
Old 12-29-03, 03:50 PM
Retired

Originally posted by jay77

On a side note, it seems like the title (A Crow Left of the Murder) might be a play on words. Any ideas?
Well, a murder is the term for a flock of crows, so A Crow Left of the Murder could be one outside of the group, and outcast or ostracized crow perhaps. So it could have something to do with alienation, not fitting in, etc.
Old 12-29-03, 04:14 PM

Interesting idea Josh. I am on that same track but was thinking that the title might have a politcial slant to it as well.

Crow=Incubus

Left=outside of the group (more specifically, left (liberal?) of the group)

Murder=Conservative Right (Government, acts of the govt) or is murder more literal (acts of murder the govt. is responsible for)

Anti-Bush? Anti-Government? I dont know. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Anyone else?

jay77

Last edited by jay77a; 12-29-03 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-29-03, 04:37 PM
Suspended

I can't wait for this album! I loved Morning View, but its gonna be nice to hear some hard tracks again from these guys. I just love the way these guys change their style every album.
Old 12-30-03, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The song "megalomaniac" leaves no doubt as to which world leader the song is referring to...
Old 12-30-03, 01:35 PM

Great video for 'Megalomaniac'. With it's overtly political context does anyone think we'll see much of it on MTV, MTV2?
Old 12-30-03, 02:07 PM
Retired

I don't see why the wouldn't play it. I've never got the impression that MTV was a big fan of the Bush administration.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-30-03 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-30-03, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't see why the wouldn't play it. I've never got the impressing that MTV was a big fan of the Bush administration.
I think that they may feel that the imagery is a bit much
Old 12-30-03, 03:00 PM
Retired

I doubt it, they play the Korn video that while not political has much more disturbing imagery IMO.
Old 01-02-04, 08:34 AM

Interesting article from mtv.com

Using powerful images from the past, Incubus leave little doubt about their position on present-day politics in the video for "Megalomaniac."

The title of the first single from the band's fifth album, A Crow Left of the Murder, refers to a person with delusional fantasies of power, and the video applies that definition to the United States and President Bush.

Shot by Floria Sigismondi, the director responsible for such visually stunning clips as Christina Aguilera's "Fighter" and Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People," the five-minute video is a hyper-stimulating barrage of images, most of which flash by only momentarily to underline the subconscious level of programming some propaganda campaigns have employed.

The clip opens with guitarist Mike Einziger in front of a radio switchboard, appearing to give a speech. The sign on the wall before him reads "No Grace Period," while the one to his left reads "Operation Freedom Control," presumably a play on "Operation Iraqi Freedom" that ironically suggests that the U.S. controls the Iraqis' independence. A six-volt battery on a shelf bears the label "super power."

The scene morphs into a shot of the giant-sized bandmembers performing on top of buildings. A zoom into one of the buildings' windows reveals a TV showing the film "The United States Air Force Presents ... Brain Washing" before a series of war scenes culminates with Adolf Hitler, with airplane bomber wings on his back, flying overhead.

It's then that singer Brandon Boyd offers the song's opening lines: "I hear you on the radio/ You permeate my screen/ If I met you in a scissor fight, I'd cut off both your wings ... on principle alone."

Later, a politician looking like Bush addresses a crowd of protesters who hold signs reading antiwar slogans such as "Not in Our Name" and "Drop Love Not Bombs." As the podium from which he speaks morphs into a gas pump that inflates skyward, the protesters clash with police. Boyd, meanwhile, repeats the line "Step down, step down."

Amidst the pandemonium, the politician's head peels back and the head of a bald eagle grows in its place. The birdman then proceeds to devour the audience members, whose own heads have become those of fish.

But there is an eventual silver lining to Incubus' dark cloud of a message. After showing a 1940s wartime family feeding its baby a bottle full of oil, a symbol of America's thirst for Iraq's greatest export, and a crowd of people fleeing from falling bombs, the fish-headed masses begin to revolt against their bird-brained leader. Piranha heads are sported by those who topple the birdman's tower and proceed to ravage him. This is met by a shot of the crowd applauding.

Also, it appears that the initial shipment of the new cd to stores will include a limited edition dvd. The bonus DVD will include 2 short films, 4 live concert video performances from this past year (Lollapalooza, Bridge School Benefit), and a chance for Incubus fans to sign up up for an internet presale of tickets for the upcoming US tour starting in June 04.
Old 01-15-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Incubus has sure come back with a bang. It's nice to see them revving up the tempo a bit.

They middle of the road crap from their last album was getting annoying.

I really like "Megalomaniac" though. Hopefully, the new disc will have a more aggressive tone to it.
Old 01-15-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else having trouble playing the videos from the site? When I use windows media player it asks for a codec, then doesn't download it (I thought ASF was a regular thing with WMP.)

Quicktime just plays the audio.

Old 01-16-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Are the lyrics for any of the new songs posted anywhere?
Old 01-16-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/incub...alomaniac.html

there are the ones for Megalomaniac.
Old 01-16-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jay77
Great video for 'Megalomaniac'. With it's overtly political context does anyone think we'll see much of it on MTV, MTV2?
Do you ever see much of any video on MTV anymore? Sadly, seems like MTV2 is heading down that path as well.

I'll have to check out the video.
Old 01-16-04, 03:59 PM
Retired

Here's a link to a live performance (begins with a brief interview) of Pistola.
Old 01-16-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mtv doesn't play videos. they haven't for 10 years. But if you like real world, dismissed, and every other crappy fake teeny show, then that channel is for you.
Old 01-17-04, 01:55 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Here's a link to a live performance (begins with a brief interview) of Pistola.
where's the link?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.