Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Britney Spears : Who is buying this girl's "music"!?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-27-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Seriously. Do you know one soul who would admit to liking her let alone buying her "music"? I don't. I have two nieces. One is eleven and the other is seventeen. Neither of them like her. No one I work with does either (all ages). They even reported recently on MSN that Britney is the most hated person online with the most anti websites. So that said....WHO is buying her stuff? Someone is (obviously). Can you believe her latest album has gone double platinum in just five weeks? Which makes me ill. I truly can't stand this no talent.
Old 12-27-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
Lonely fourty-year-old men.
Old 12-27-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe Britney bought all those copies herself.I agree with this topic since it seems all the young kids who liked her when she first hit the scene now mostly dont like her and i cant imagine any adults(least none i know) rushing out to buy her cds.

Her music is truly awful but that being said i usually watch her videos when they are on
Old 12-27-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb ditsy teenage girls.
Old 12-27-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know of a few college girls in their twenties who have all of Britney's CD's. It kind of surprised me since I figured only 8 to 14 year olds were into here music.

I personally wouldn't listen to one of her CD's even if it was given to me as a gift.
Old 12-27-03, 04:04 PM

Actually, there a quite a few people here who buy them......I heard some posts talking about how "cold" the beats are and what a "Great" album it is..

I think it's the same people who are saying "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" is the best album of the year....it's really sad when looped synths and badly written rhymes is the best of the year.
Old 12-27-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't fall into those categories. Some of the music is pretty good but no I've never spent a dime on any of her albums or singles.
Old 12-27-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts
I don't have any of her cd's, but I do listen to her new song when it is on the radio.
Old 12-27-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like "Touch of my Hand"...can't wait for the video for that song.
Old 12-28-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sararekuforever
I think it's the same people who are saying "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" is the best album of the year....it's really sad when looped synths and badly written rhymes is the best of the year.

Possibly the worst post of the year.
Old 12-28-03, 12:41 AM

Why?

It's my opinion, Andre 3000 sounds beyond fake in every song..almost seems like someone is just messing with the pitches and tempo on purpose..

The Big Boi disc is better...doesn't sound as fake..and the song with Norah Jones is decent.
Old 12-28-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My ex-gf just did.
Old 12-28-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why?

It's my opinion, Andre 3000 sounds beyond fake in every song..almost seems like someone is just messing with the pitches and tempo on purpose..

The Big Boi disc is better...doesn't sound as fake..and the song with Norah Jones is decent.
How does he sound "fake"?

Also, grouping Britney fans with hiphop fans is sort of stupid, in my opinion.
Old 12-28-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, there a quite a few people here who buy them......I heard some posts talking about how "cold" the beats are and what a "Great" album it is..

I thought that Outkast still recorded their beats on live instruments. In any case, even though I only own 3 rap cds of the 500 or so that are in my collection, I can respect other types of music for what they are, and I think that record is pretty good. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but I've heard through it a few times and it's an enjoyable, well structured piece. To compare them and the work they did to someone the likes of Britney Spears is pretty lame.

Anyway, I often wonder about who buys the Britney records and stuff, as I haven't met but one person who actually owned any. One of my old friends bought everything with her on it, and didn't even really listen to it, he just thought she was hot.
Old 12-28-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My 11-year-old sister just got her CD for Christmas. What else do you really want her to listen to? I could see it as deplorable if you're in your twenties, but I think it's fine for the younger teens to listen to her music.
Old 12-28-03, 09:46 AM

Re: Britney Spears : Who is buying this girl's "music"!?

Originally posted by Daytripper
Seriously. Do you know one soul who would admit to liking her let alone buying her "music"?

I don't know of anyone either. Of course I don't hang out with to many sheep, so it would be hard for me to know anyone who likes her, let alone any music of that sad genre.

IWHO is buying her stuff? Someone is (obviously). Can you believe her latest album has gone double platinum in just five weeks?

The stores are. Remember an album can go double platnum without a single consumer buying it. Album sales that determine such awards, are reflected by how many are printed and shipped, not how many make it into the hands of the actual consumer. I'm sure a little under half of those copies are still collecting dust on the store shelves.

Old 12-28-03, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Corvin
My 11-year-old sister just got her CD for Christmas. What else do you really want her to listen to?

When I was 11 years old I was rockin' out to Lynyard Skynyard, Blackfoot, AC/DC, Zeppelin, and anything else that rocked. I don't see why it is, that people want to push all this pop cheese on our children. What's wrong with a little rock-n-roll? Oh that's right... It doesn't help sell pimple cream and overpriced shoes, so we wouldn't want our young kids to listen to that. How would we turn them into sheep if they became rockers? Oh deer.

Here is a good little read for everyone who bought there niece, sister, brother, ar any young person a CD for Christmas.

http://whatacrappypresent.com/
Old 12-28-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, you're right. She's such a little tool.

But here's the thing: I don't care, and I don't think she should either. She enjoys it (although of course it's because she is being used) and has fun listening to it with her friends while and dancing and singing. Just as you did with your friends to Lynyard Skynyard, AC/DC, and Zeppelin. Well, maybe you didn't dance and sing, but that's not really the point.

Last edited by Corvin; 12-28-03 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-28-03, 12:20 PM

Yeah, you're right. She's such a little tool.

Oh, dear God!!!!! I hope you are not refering to your sister!!!
I thought that at first, but I am sure you mean Britny Spears is a tool.

But here's the thing: I don't care, and I don't think she should either.

That's just it. We should care. The music we listen to can be a huge influence on our lifestyle(look at the stupid white kids who try and act like they are from the ghetto, God they look so silly. I don't know weather or not to laugh, or cry). Do you not care that your sister could turn into one of those MTV generation clones, or sheep as I like to call them? I would be concerned for her, if I were you. I have an 8 year old and it concerns me greatly, seeing how those who push pop music onto our children are selling sex and stupidity by the gallon, and pushing a lifestyle of vanity on them just to sell, sell, sell. I, as a parent have to try and controle just how much of this garbage I will allow to get through to my child. Problem is it's almost impossible to stop. This "pop/hip hop lifestyle" crap is everywhere(sad, so very sad) . Right now I'm doing all I can to keep her from becoming a sheep, but ultimately the burdon will fall on her shoulders. I try and introduce her to different styles of music that are more about substance than flash, more about the music than the bling bling. Does she like it all? No, but some she does, so there is hope. I will say this. If I ever catch her putting on that fake ghetto bling bling attitude that all the little white kids(clones/sheep) are so into these days, I'll slap it right out of her, and move her to the back woods of Montana.

I guess I'm saying that we should care. Todays kids are growing up more vain and disrespectfull than ever before, and it's the fault of to many parents, as well as brothers and sisters, not caring about what is being force-fed down thier throats. WE ALL SHOULD CARE!

She enjoys it (although of course it's because she is being used) and has fun listening to it with her friends while and dancing and singing. Just as you did with your friends to Lynyard Skynyard, AC/DC, and Zeppelin. Well, maybe you didn't dance and sing, but that's not really the point.

Oh no, I damn sure wasn't dancin' that's a fact.

There is nothing wrong with her enjoying, as well as singing and dancing to B.Spears. I was just answering your question "What else do you really want her to listen to?" with my own question really. Why is that people think little girls should only listen to mindless pop cheese? Why not try and exspose them to other music other than just the flavor of the day crap? The only reason little girls listen to pop cheese is because nobody has taken the time to introduce them to something else, and pop cheese is all they know, thanks to every form of media forcing it down thier throats. Well gotta go. Me and the kid are going to go and sing and dance to some Iron Maiden, then watch some football!! UP THE IRONS!!! & Happy New Year!!

Old 12-28-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting style, raiders757. It makes quoting you a bit harder.

Do you not care that your sister could turn into one of those MTV generation clones, or sheep as I like to call them? I would be concerned for her, if I were you.
Sheep. Ah, yes. My 11-year-old sister is a sheep because she chooses to listen to Britney Spears. I suppose you could argue you this, but then this argument could be used for anything. Why, you're a sheep for listening to hard rock, you hard rock sheep you.

And what's making her a sheep again? The fact that she heard Spears's music on the radio and asked for the album for Christmas? I imagine that's how you got some of your first albums--heard it on the radio, then asked for the album or went out and bought the album for yourself. But of course, only she is the sheep.

But perhaps most importantly, my parents are quite competent when it comes to rising their children, and the pop music their daughter listens to has a very minute effect. She dresses well (meaning un-Spears like), gets great grades, and is well-behaved. And so are my older sisters who grew up on the same pop music. Music may have a huge influence on some, but to others it is simply a way to pass the time during or a car-ride of burn an afternoon on winter break. Perhaps it isn't the music corrupting many kids, but the lack of something else. . .

I guess I'm saying that we should care. Todays kids are growing up more vain and disrespectfull than ever before, and it's the fault of to many parents, as well as brothers and sisters, not caring about what is being force-fed down thier throats. WE ALL SHOULD CARE!
...this is exactly what your parents were probably saying about your generation.

Why is that people think little girls should only listen to mindless pop cheese? Why not try and exspose them to other music other than just the flavor of the day crap? The only reason little girls listen to pop cheese is because nobody has taken the time to introduce them to something else, and pop cheese is all they know, thanks to every form of media forcing it down thier throats.
My sister has been exposed to plenty more than "pop cheese." Most of the time my mom listens to classical music when she drives my siblings, and my dad almost always listens to classic rock. Still, she chooses to listen to the pop music. She has been introduced to other types of music, but she just chooses not to go further into those genres. I see nothing wrong with that. By making her listen to another form of music, wouldn't I just be forcing my music down her throat? Wouldn't she just become "my sheep," per se?

One of the things I'm trying to say is that the same influences that are working on her to listen to her pop music were working on you to listen to your rock music. Another thing I'm trying to say is that I hardly this Ms. Spears's music is the reason why children are apparently misbehaving--maybe it's the lack of good parenting coming from your generation.

I bet it was all that Skynard you guys were listening to. . .

Last edited by Corvin; 12-28-03 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-28-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw a girl getting Spears's latest CD as a present the other night, in a restaurant. Really depressed me. Hopefully one day she'll sell it to a used CD store with a very different taste for what 'music' is.
Old 12-28-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Britney is no worse than Madonna. True that Madonna has a bit of talent when she cares to show it, but there are some striking similarities between the two pop stars. They are both great at marketing themselves, and like Madonna, I think Britney will be around for quite a long time if she evolves as an artist at all.

I don't care for Britney's music, but there are obviously people out there who do.

When I was 11 I was listening to Journey, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles, thanks to having siblings who were quite a bit older than me. But I also think I would have been into the likes of Britney, had she been around in the very late 70s and early 80s. Some of her stuff is pretty catchy, even if it's mindless pap.
Old 12-28-03, 04:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Britney Spears : Who is buying this girl's "music"!?

Originally posted by Daytripper
Seriously. Do you know one soul who would admit to liking her let alone buying her "music"? I don't. No one I work with does either (all ages).
Of course, if you've been going around ranting "Do this listen to that no-talent piece of crap Britney Spears?!?", and they DO like her, they're very likely to say "Um, no, never. No, sirr-ee, she sucks" just because they don't have the energy to get into a silly argument over it.
Old 12-28-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Britney Spears : Who is buying this girl's "music"!?

Originally posted by DRG
Of course, if you've been going around ranting "Do this listen to that no-talent piece of crap Britney Spears?!?", and they DO like her, they're very likely to say "Um, no, never. No, sirr-ee, she sucks" just because they don't have the energy to get into a silly argument over it.
What!??
Old 12-28-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My 11-year-old sister just got her CD for Christmas. What else do you really want her to listen to? I could see it as deplorable if you're in your twenties, but I think it's fine for the younger teens to listen to her music.
What kind of response it this? There are PLENTY of people your kid sister can listen to besides the likes of Britney Spears. If you want to keep it to performers geared at her age, for starters you have the likes of Aaron Carter and Hillary Duff. To name a few. Sure, I think they're crap too. But I'm not exactly their intended audience. At least they don't run around dressed like strippers, sing about masterbation and have same sex lip locks on TV with other (and older) pop stars. None of which is a problem for me. But a bit too much for an 11 year old IMO. Carter and Duff also make an effort to actually sing. Unlike Spears. Who's voice is 100% studio manufactured. But I know, kids don't care about that stuff. That's just a personal gripe of mine. I try to introduce my 11 year old niece to music with more substance. And even if the artists are older, their music is better and more appropriate than Spears. For example, Sheryl Crow and No Doubt. Who she loves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.