Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden is on tour again in 2004

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-03, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

...or are they "still" on the same tour?

Ticketmaster
Old 12-26-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I saw them last summer and was underwhelmed. If you can't do more than 13 songs and an 80 minute set, you shouldn't be touring.
Old 12-26-03, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The summer tour was a sort of promotional tour for thier "Visions of the Beast" DVD, or a greatest hits type tour. The tour they are on now is in support of thier new album "Dance of "Death".

It is a shame they only played an 80 minute set last summer. I'm not sure why they did this. Maybe it was because of time restraints seeing how there were two opening acts. That's my main guess. It also could have been the fact that they admitted they don't like touring the U.S. much any more. They think the venues promoters force bands to play in suck for a metal show, and rightfully so. [RANT] Those stupid sheds(amphitheaters) make going to a concert seem more like going to the movies, and in general ruin the entire concert exsperience. Those sheds are for nothing other than reaming out our wallet, and I feel sorry for the fools who think they are a great place to see a show. They were built for one purpose, and one purpose only. To make concert promoters lots of $$$. They should all be burt to the ground! [RANT OVER]

They are playing a set that last's an hour and half, or so(almost two hours), this time around. The stage set looks incredible, and the reviewers from Europe are saying it is a great performance. The sad thing is here in the U.S., we only get six dates, and they are in only two cities. New York, and L.A. It kind of upsets me, because I skiped the "Give Me Ed Till I'm Dead" summer tour, because I was positive they would be back during thier "Dance of Death Tour". I didn't want to see the striped down show, if they were coming back with the real production over the winter, and I also didn't want to see them playing in one of those damn "sheds for sheep" either. Little did I know at the time we were going to get skipped this time around. Oh Well, live and learn. What kills me, is they are saying they are dissapointed in thier album sales for "Dance of Death" here in the U.S.. Wouldn't doing a complete & proper tour of the country to promote the new album and help sales? That's what the original purpose of touring was for, promoting new albums as well as one's self .

I guess the answer to question here is....

No they are not still on the same tour. Different set list, different stage production, and the ARE playing a good bit longer this time around. Word is out also that they are filming most every show, and there will be a DVD coming out sometime next year. Can't wait for that!
Old 12-26-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Why should Maiden care about touring the US? They're put on the oldies shed circuit, get ZERO support and promotion from their label, and get ZERO airplay from the clearchannel hegemony.

If I could play to a quarter million people at a time at festivals and soccer stadiums throughout the world, I'd say %&!# the US as well.
Old 12-26-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jason
Why should Maiden care about touring the US? They're put on the oldies shed circuit, get ZERO support and promotion from their label, and get ZERO airplay from the clearchannel hegemony.

If I could play to a quarter million people at a time at festivals and soccer stadiums throughout the world, I'd say %&!# the US as well.
Ahhh. although I agree with the lack of support which is nothing new to Maiden, the irony is Clear Channel DOES have something to do with the tours.

I get e-mails about Maiden's shows saying "Brought to you by Clear Channel".
Old 12-27-03, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Jason

I sadly have to agree with every word of this post. It's such a shame to see the lack of respect Maiden get here in America, while many other less talented atrist's(If you want to call them that) get so much praise for singing formulated song's penned by someone else (a.k.a pop music). The music industry has gone down the toilet, from the record labels, to the radio, and even to the concert industry. It has all become so homogenized that it makes me sick! I feel for the youth of today. They are being ripped off, and don't even know it. It's sad, so sad.

Ahhh. although I agree with the lack of support which is nothing new to Maiden, the irony is Clear Channel DOES have something to do with the tours.

Yes, not only have Clear Channel almost completely monopolized radio, they are not far from doing the same to the concert industry. They have the promotion rights to almost every major shed, and arena in the country. Hell, at the rate thier going, they might as well buy up all the record companies as well. I wish Clear Channel would just crumble into the sea, and go away forever. Everything was so much better before they came along, and what the hell, take MTV, and all thier clones with em' as well.

Last edited by raiders757; 12-27-03 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got floor seats for Montreal in January baby.
Old 12-29-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by raiders757
The summer tour was a sort of promotional tour for thier "Visions of the Beast" DVD, or a greatest hits type tour. The tour they are on now is in support of thier new album "Dance of "Death".

It is a shame they only played an 80 minute set last summer. I'm not sure why they did this. Maybe it was because of time restraints seeing how there were two opening acts. That's my main guess. It also could have been the fact that they admitted they don't like touring the U.S. much any more. They think the venues promoters force bands to play in suck for a metal show, and rightfully so. [RANT] Those stupid sheds(amphitheaters) make going to a concert seem more like going to the movies, and in general ruin the entire concert exsperience. Those sheds are for nothing other than reaming out our wallet, and I feel sorry for the fools who think they are a great place to see a show. They were built for one purpose, and one purpose only. To make concert promoters lots of $$$. They should all be burt to the ground! [RANT OVER]

They are playing a set that last's an hour and half, or so(almost two hours), this time around. The stage set looks incredible, and the reviewers from Europe are saying it is a great performance. The sad thing is here in the U.S., we only get six dates, and they are in only two cities. New York, and L.A. It kind of upsets me, because I skiped the "Give Me Ed Till I'm Dead" summer tour, because I was positive they would be back during thier "Dance of Death Tour". I didn't want to see the striped down show, if they were coming back with the real production over the winter, and I also didn't want to see them playing in one of those damn "sheds for sheep" either. Little did I know at the time we were going to get skipped this time around. Oh Well, live and learn. What kills me, is they are saying they are dissapointed in thier album sales for "Dance of Death" here in the U.S.. Wouldn't doing a complete & proper tour of the country to promote the new album and help sales? That's what the original purpose of touring was for, promoting new albums as well as one's self .

I guess the answer to question here is....

No they are not still on the same tour. Different set list, different stage production, and the ARE playing a good bit longer this time around. Word is out also that they are filming most every show, and there will be a DVD coming out sometime next year. Can't wait for that!
I agree with your shed rant....I actually miss concerts because I hate going to these places...unfortunately many summer shows are placed at these troughs.

As far as the length...if thre are others on the bill that will eat away at the time allowed for others. I may be wrong, but a lot of these sheds have early curfews correct?
Old 12-29-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Flashback
I agree with your shed rant....I actually miss concerts because I hate going to these places...unfortunately many summer shows are placed at these troughs.

As far as the length...if thre are others on the bill that will eat away at the time allowed for others. I may be wrong, but a lot of these sheds have early curfews correct?

Yes they do have curfews
Old 12-29-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Maiden on every tour since No Prayer for the Dying except 1 (X-Factor) and they always deliver.

This summer Maiden shared the stage with Dio and Motorhead (both who put on great shows) so that why they were a little shorter than usual. Maiden was still great cause you got to hear songs you don't hear often (Die With Your Boots On). The new show should be longer since Maiden willm only have one opening act who will probably play for a half hour.
Old 12-30-03, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also have to ask if Maiden still sells out huge arenas? It's not 1985 anymore so what can promoters do?
Old 12-30-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I also have to ask if Maiden still sells out huge arenas? It's not 1985 anymore so what can promoters do?
According to Maiden...they were not able to get the Garden or Meadowlands for the NYC shows due to being booked already...so they had to settle for 4 shows at Hammerstein.

I think in some major cities they can do an arena but not all over the country. Unfortunately Maiden noted that they will only play LA and NY since the last tour was just this past summer and covered the USA....what about Chicago? There should be a large enough fan base here to make it worth it.
Old 12-30-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To be perfectly honest I have not liked anything Maiden has put out since Somewhere in Time. I never got to see them though

How are their shows? Do they play a good amount of early stuff?
Old 12-30-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maiden sells out the Bell Center in Montreal everytime (whih is huge). This Summer they outsold Metallica's Summer Sanatarium tour. (Metallica played a venue about 1/3 the size.) Currently there are only seats available in the back of the arena for the Montreal show.