Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ice-T O.G. Original Gangster

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-21-03, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't rap be like this again? Ice showed so much potential on this album, and never delivered. Good thing he had "acting" to fall back on.

New Jack City rules!
Old 12-21-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Man, I loved this CD in high school. I think it still holds up, but I agree that Icd-T's output afterwards pales in comparison.

H-U-S-T-L-E-R Hustler!

And that Halloween sample kicks butt.
Old 12-21-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bust: I thought you didn't like rap? Or is it just the current crop of rap that you dislike?
Old 12-21-03, 12:16 PM
Banned

I listened to NOTHING else from about '91-'96 (the year I graduated from High School). I still ocassionally like a song here and there, but none of it feels real anymore. Quality has given way to quantity (if you don't believe me, just look at the barrage of crap Master P put out on his label to cash in on his 15 minutes. This is just one example of many.)
Old 12-21-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, give me some of that damn fried chicken!
Old 12-22-03, 08:43 AM

Ice-t's best.
Have it on cassette since 1991,
just recently pick up the CD.

Nothing beats old school rap (1983-1992)
Old 12-22-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to have this CD, but I lent it out, and it came back scratched all to hell.
Power, The Iceberg, OG...
you're giving me high school flashbacks.
Old 12-22-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Bust
I listened to NOTHING else from about '91-'96 (the year I graduated from High School). I still ocassionally like a song here and there, but none of it feels real anymore. Quality has given way to quantity (if you don't believe me, just look at the barrage of crap Master P put out on his label to cash in on his 15 minutes. This is just one example of many.)
Sounds like a dead ringer for me...'cept I graduated in '95.

"Some of yall #iggaz is b!tches 2!"
Old 12-23-03, 09:35 PM
Banned

"Upon initial contact with Ice-T's music, I had envisioned him to be an ill-mannered and psychologically unstable man with an extremely uneducated and barbaric frame of mind, whose raps displayed nothing but ridiculous jargon, shocking sexual audacity and repulsive images of the ghetto. However, after further analysis of his music I can deduce that he is the epitome of antidisestablishmentarianism who embodies the entire spectrum of the urban experience and struggle. But to make things more plain and simple to the layman, I find Ice-T to be the dopest, flyist, O.G. pimp hustler gangster player hardcore mothervucker living today."
Old 12-23-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Upon initial contact with Ice-T's music, I had envisioned him to be an ill-mannered and psychologically unstable man with an extremely uneducated and barbaric frame of mind, whose raps displayed nothing but ridiculous jargon, shocking sexual audacity and repulsive images of the ghetto. However, after further analysis of his music I can deduce that he is the epitome of antidisestablishmentarianism who embodies the entire spectrum of the urban experience and struggle. But to make things more plain and simple to the layman, I find Ice-T to be the dopest, flyist, O.G. pimp hustler gangster player hardcore mothervucker living today."
I remember laughing my head off the first time I listened to that intro. Great CD. Man that takes me back...
Old 07-05-04, 04:02 PM
Banned

The tension mounts...
Old 07-05-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man i loved this album in particular in high school as well. I graduated in 94 and listened to this and probably Janes Addiction the most. Well, them and Leonard Cohen.
Old 07-05-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This thread's back from the dead!

I was in Vegas last month and saw Ice-T and his well-endowed wife at the Hard Rock. He glared at my friend for staring at his wife! At first I was too busy looking at her to realize that she was with Ice-T. It would've been nice to have gotten a picture with him, but I didn't want to be that guy.

On topic: some of y'all niggas are bitches, too.
Old 07-06-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey now...his 96 CD "Return of the Real" wasn't too shabby...it included one of my fave ICE-T lines ever

"I'm so damn smooth that every woman wanna touch me, got so much sexuality that nuns wanna **** me..."
Old 07-06-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used this record to get a few people into rap. It's one of the classics. But yeah, he was never able to hit the same high again with his other releases. Unless you wanna count the Body Count stuff. I winded up enjoying those records more than the newer rap stuff he was putting out.

It would've been nice to have gotten a picture with him, but I didn't want to be that guy.
"I hit the hallway it was crawlin thick
'Could we take this picture real quick?'
I jumped into a pose I used a million times before,
Took pictures with the whole damn floor
I couldn't say no
Not to my fans
YOu see they wouldn't understand"
Old 07-06-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love all the Ice T records preceding and including OG. He wasn't the greatest poet or the best lyricist, but he always used to make good to great music. Even Home Invasion had some very solid songs (99 Problems...). Damn, I nearly forgot about Ice T. I'm gonna have to go digging in my crates.
Old 07-06-04, 07:37 PM
Banned

I love this album too, has anyone listened to 7 deadly sins I wanted to know how that one was
Old 07-07-04, 04:03 AM
Banned

Ice T, Eazy E, N.W.A., Ice Cube, D.O.C., and Public Enemy those were the days.

I stopped listening to rap around 1992 and became a metal fan a couple years later.

Rap is too corporate and is now main-stream bubble gum pop.

Ice Cube echoed that statement on Last Call with Carson Daly and feels rap is soft now.

I would never listen to Nelly, Eminem, 50 Cent, P Diddy, or D-12.

I wonder what Ice T thinks about the current rap artists.
Old 07-07-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NEW BALTIMORE
I love this album too, has anyone listened to 7 deadly sins I wanted to know how that one was
I hate to say this cause I still consider myself a big Ice-T fan, but I bought this when it came out, listened to it a few times, and haven't listened to it since. I'll try to give it a spin soon and see how I feel about it.

This pretty much happened with alot of the rap artists I listened to. T, Cube, Pac, PE, those were all my favorites, but they never seemed to be able to put out more than 3 or 4 great records. Which I guess really, is pretty good since most artists would kill to be able to release that many.
Old 07-07-04, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I listened to NOTHING else from about '91-'96 (the year I graduated from High School). I still ocassionally like a song here and there, but none of it feels real anymore.
Try the latest Dead Prez and Sixtoo, my friend.