DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Purple Rain SE DVD out.... in the UK.... how about a remastered CD ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/336569-purple-rain-se-dvd-out-uk-how-about-remastered-cd.html)

Rogue588 12-18-03 09:32 PM

Purple Rain SE on its way!....Next year....in August....oh, and in the UK...

In case you didn't read the Wyatt Earp thread to find this tidbit hidden away. Personally, i'm suspending my belief until I pop 'em in my DVD player.

Here's the link to WB's press release. Make of it what you will...

Warner hit a real purple patch in August with a trilogy of Prince musicals including a two disc special edition of the mega-hit Purple Rain, based on his best-selling album plus it's sequels Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge.

POWERBOMB 12-18-03 09:54 PM

Is this for the UK only?

Rogue588 12-18-03 10:18 PM

[according to the press release] Yep.

POWERBOMB 12-21-03 12:23 AM

Well, it doesn't do me any good.....

Dan Average 12-21-03 02:02 PM

Odds are it'll be released in the U.S. around the same time, if not earlier. Warner U.S. usually doesn't announce stuff this far in advance.

POWERBOMB 12-21-03 11:54 PM

Graffiti Bridge has never been released on dvd in the states, but I could have sworn I once saw Cherry Moon at Target on DVD a few years ago.

big whoppa 12-22-03 01:47 AM

They're waiting to get rid of every fullscreen version of Purple Rain.

Rogue588 01-22-04 09:49 AM

Guess it's official? But, since this is on the US MTV site, does that mean it's a r1 release too..?

According to MTV.com news: Prince's classic flick "Purple Rain" will be released on DVD this summer and will include a special making-of documentary. Both of the Purple One's subsequent films, "Under the Cherry Moon" and "Graffiti Bridge," will also be released at the same time.

Some more news here too.

aynrandgirl 09-07-04 01:57 AM

How about a Purple Rain remaster?

WB just redid the movie, how about the CD?

The Infidel 09-07-04 08:16 AM

Just my opinion, but with all the trouble they had with Prince over the years, I don't think Warner is going to waste their time with Purple Rain or any other of his albums.

JAA 09-07-04 08:17 AM

Personally, I think the current CD sounds fine. If they remastered it, they would probably compress the hell out of it and ruin the sound anyway. -wink-

aynrandgirl 09-07-04 12:09 PM

Originally posted by JAA
Personally, I think the current CD sounds fine. If they remastered it, they would probably compress the hell out of it and ruin the sound anyway. -wink-
More than it already is? LP was still big in 1984, and non-audiophile LP masters are always highly compressed. I'm sure they used the regular LP master to make the CD, as was common practice of the period.

DRG 09-07-04 11:20 PM

I wouldn't mind if they re-released this with the non-album tracks, like the Time and Apollonia stuff.

Rogue588 09-08-04 03:20 AM

Originally posted by The_Infidel
Just my opinion, but with all the trouble they had with Prince over the years, I don't think Warner is going to waste their time with Purple Rain or any other of his albums.
I don't know about that. $$$ talks.

But, PR wouldn't be the first disc that needs remastering...

Start with Parade then Sign 'O the Times then Dirty Mind then Lovesexy then Controversy then O(+> then so on and so on..