Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

is song remains the same (led zep. concert film) that bad?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-14-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lets say i really liked the dvd and the cd that came out on my birthday (the 27th of may) but everybody seems to hate the "song remains the same" movie because it was "dull" and "too long", but the same critics on the cd and dvd that came out this year didn't complain about the song lengths. (and i thought the outtakes from the show on the zep. dvd were great, especially "the ocean", ps, why was that consitered "raunchy"? i remeber hearing something about that performance being a raunchy version of that song.)
Old 12-15-03, 06:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't call it "bad" but most of the footage is from around 73, I believe, and they werent quite as tight as they would become on their incredible Physical Graffiti tour. Some of the songs are extended to the point of satiety and the in-between-song footage isnt so hot(although I did like the bit where Jimmy Page becomes Gandalf drom Lord of the Rings)
Old 12-15-03, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's good for a viewing for the historic aspect; it's good to see Zep live.

On the down side this was a troubled shoot. Jimi Page had a broken finger. John Paul Jones didn't want to play ball (wouldn't wear the same outfit on the two nights they were shooting). A huge amount of the music in the show was overdubbed later because the performance was fairly sub-par.

The fantasy sequences for the four were kinda pretentious, but I believe they had good intentions. This is well before the music video generation.

In my opinion, at that time they were spending too much time on Dazed and Confused (30 minutes with about 10 minutes devoted to Jimi Page banging on his guitar with a violin bow). But if you want to observe it from a positive perspective, it really illustrates the excesses of the "Monster Rock" generation.

Give it a rent, and if you dig it, I think it only costs $9.00.

mud...
Old 12-15-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

..it's not bad (the fake-LOTR stuff not withstanding). To me, it's more that the new Led Zep dvd has simply rendered it obsolete.
Old 12-15-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i believe it's generally not considered "great" because Led Zep was known for their amazingly urgent live shows, and this pseudo-documentary concert film didn't really do a good job of capturing that at all. for reasons stated above.
Old 12-15-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big Led Zep fan and this is by far the worst concert DVD I own. It's so bad that I still haven't watched the new Led Zep DVD (which I bought the same day it was released) fearing it will be as bad as The Song Remains The Same.
Old 12-15-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by sataniko
I'm a big Led Zep fan and this is by far the worst concert DVD I own. It's so bad that I still haven't watched the new Led Zep DVD (which I bought the same day it was released) fearing it will be as bad as The Song Remains The Same.
trust me its great. plant's voice is good and strong through most of the performances (a tad weak on the 79 performance). its got dts, and has a raw sound to it, that doesn't sound like its been tampered with. even the outtake footage from the song remains the same was great. (alright, i don't really care for misty mountain hop), and you will hear the absolute best version of stairway to heaven thats out there.
Old 12-15-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I say it's worth it. It's not the greatest, but it's fun, and I enjoy it.
Old 12-17-03, 02:26 PM
Banned

yeah it aint bad. The new one is fantastic though.