Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica "Some Kind of Monster" Documentary to debut at Sundance Festival

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-02-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet news for tallica fans like myself, this has been a long-going project up close and personal through some intense, scary, and amazing times. Including the departure of Jason and James in rehab.

As a mad (edit*as in huge!) Metallifan I cannot wait to see this. *please keep out threadcrapping comments, as I know that they always show up in Metallica threads Thanks.

----------------

from metclub.com

The Sundance Film Festival has announced their first wave of films accepted for this year's festival and we are excited to announce that 'Metallica: Some Kind of Monster' has been accepted into the prestigious American Spectrum division. The film will make its debut during the festival held in Park City, Utah from January 15-25, 2004.
Does this documentary film come as a surprise? Not to those who followed the recording process of St. Anger thru the Metallica.com section 'Jump In The Studio.' Daily visitors to this section saw the documentary crew in action, kinda like a behind the scenes of the behind the scenes.

Eagle-eyed viewers of the 'Paradise Lost 2: Revelations,' DVD will have noticed that filmmakers, Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky, mentioned in their biographical section that there was a future project centered around Metallica. At the invitation of the band, Berlinger and Sinofsky were invited to start filming the band writing and recording, as well as gaining unprecedented access to their private worlds, starting in April of 2001. Nothing has been off-limits, meaning the duo have amassed 1,200 hours of footage embracing everything from Phil Towle sessions to 2 am riffs. Says Sinofsky, "We told Cliff (Burnstein) when he asked what kind of film it's going to be, 'why don't you ask Lars, James and Kirk what kind if of album it's going to be?'"

Berlinger, Sinofsky and Metallica first met each other when the duo were making 'Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills' about the three West Memphis teenagers who were accused, and convicted of, a murder many feel they didn't commit. Berlinger and Sinofsky cautiously asked if they could use some Metallica music in the film (at the time the band hadn't consented to such requests before) and were warmly surprised to find that the band agreed and refused to charge a fee so supportive did they feel of the project. "It was really very, very cool of them," remembers Sinofsky, "and they supported the follow-up too. It was really the start of a deep and personal relationship which has grown between us all."

It's therefore no surprise to hear that Berlinger and Sinofsky first approached Metallica about a project centered around them six years ago. "They weren't ready to be completely open back then," explains Sinofsky. "They said when they were ready they'd come to us, and they have. And Joe and I are extremely excited. It' very intimate, very personal and I think it will excite the band too. Joe said early on that if we were going to make a film we wanted to know we were going to get access. If we look at one of our films and realize that other people could've got it, then we've failed."

"Joe and I have dealt with some really difficult subject matter," says Sinofsky. "You don't wish bad news on anyone, but it unquestionably makes for drama and you're there to capture it. So the band going through some flux and some growing pains is the kind of material a filmmaker prays for. Of course, on a personal level you don't want people to go through their tortures and dealing with their demons, but ultimatley for the Metallica fan, they will see things they've never seen before. And to quote Joe, 'I think right now we hit upon an amazingly important band going through some amazing changes."

Lars truning the camera on Co-Director Joe Berlinger

Sundance will be the first official screening of the film, which will be released later in the year. Dates and times of the Sundance viewing have not been announced yet, but you can check out their site for more information about the festival at http://festival.sundance.org/, and of course stay tuned to Metclub.com for more information as it becomes available.

Last edited by db27; 12-03-03 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-03-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Metallica "Some Kind of Monster" Documentary to debut at Sundance Festival

Originally posted by db27
As a mad Metallifan I cannot wait to see this. *please keep out threadcrapping comments, as I know that they always show up in Metallica threads Thanks.
*. This is the reason why I decided to not post this aound 5 hours before U did. *

anyway, Yes this is gonna be Sweet!
Old 12-03-03, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Definetly will check this out
Old 12-03-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Metallica "Some Kind of Monster" Documentary to debut at Sundance Festival

Originally posted by gerrythedon
*. This is the reason why I decided to not post this aound 5 hours before U did. *

anyway, Yes this is gonna be Sweet!
Old 12-04-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know this is early, but I still hope that when it comes out on dvd, they package it with the Unreleased songs [The original 30+ songs they wrote, before tossing them and starting all over again what became ST. ANGER].

Wasn't that mentioned as an idea in the So What! Metallica club a while back, DB27?

Last edited by gerrythedon; 12-07-03 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-06-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In a recent interview with the webmaster of www.encycmet.com Kirk said that stuff will be released eventually, saying it's more melodic and like the Black Album not like St. Anger.
Old 12-07-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool, thanks [Adrenaline] for the link.

Quote from REVOLVER magazine [June 2003]

" Initially, what we wrote ran the gamut," Hammett remembers. "We had ballads, midtempo stuff, slow and heavy stuff, stuff that was really melodic, stuff that was heavy on production, stuff that was heavy on weird guitar sounds, stuff that had keyboard and piano in it - we tried so many different things."
Old 12-07-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have liked to hear some of that stuff instead. I was impressed by the heaviness of the music at first, but it wore thin pretty quickly. Now I can't listen to more than 3 songs without switching to a different record because it all sounds the same now.

At least I will always have those first 4 records. Metallica will always be great, and I have no problem with bands expanding their sound and what not, but this album really felt like a step back in a lot of ways. Hopefully they come around again with a little more diverse record the next time.
Old 12-13-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

more interesting details... Woah, this is really gonna be a thing to watch [especially the MUSTAINE situation]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Metallica Film Filled With 'Monster' Revelations

Internal fighting, therapy sessions and tumultuous making of the band's latest album are headed to the big screen in the documentary "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster." An unflinching, warts-and-all look at the band, the film will be part of the 2004 Sundance Film Festival and will be released next year in theaters.

As previously reported, Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky directed the film. The duo also directed the HBO documentaries "Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills" and "Paradise Lost 2: Revelations," both of which prominently featured Metallica's music.

A rough cut of the "Monster" was shown at private screenings Thursday (Dec. 11) in New York and Los Angeles. Billboard.com was among those who got an early look at the film.

Filmed across more than two years, the film mostly chronicles the band's ups and downs in making the band's 2003 Elektra release "St. Anger," and takes its title from one of the album's songs. On screen, singer/guitarist James Hetfield and drummer Lars Ulrich often clash, with lead guitarist Kirk Hammett usually acting as peacemaker. Sessions are interrupted for several months as Hetfield goes into rehab for alcoholism and other addictions.

Struggles with artistic credibility, the Napster controversy and accusations of "selling out" are presented for all to see. In one scene, manager Cliff Burnstein pressures the band to record promotional announcements for an unnamed radio conglomerate's contest. When Burnstein explains that the company may retaliate by trying to ruin the band's career, Hetfield's anger and surprise inspires him to write the lyrics, "Wash your back so you won't stab mine" for the "St. Anger" track "Sweet Amber."

Besides the members of Metallica, other key figures in the film are producer Bob Rock and therapist Phil Towle, whom Metallica paid $40,000 a month to help resolve tension in the band. Towle's ubiquitous presence is notable, as he even spends time in the studio and in songwriting sessions with Metallica.

During one therapy session, Ulrich meets with Dave Mustaine, who was fired from Metallica in 1983 and went on to form Megadeth. Mustaine talks about the anger and pain he has experienced because of being labeled as a Metallica reject. The band also deals with the exit of longtime bassist Jason Newsted, who quit in 2001 and is also featured in the movie.

Auditions to replace Newsted see several notable players try out for the band, including Eric Avery (formerly of Jane's Addiction), ex-Marilyn Manson guitarist Twiggy Ramirez, Nine Inch Nails' Danny Lohner and Pepper Keenan of Corrosion Of Conformity fame.

Ulrich admits Suicidal Tendencies' Robert Trujillo was ultimately chosen because he was the only one who auditioned who did not struggle to play Metallica songs. Hetfield adds that Trujillo makes the band play better and his presence brings a new, more positive energy to the band that lightens the tone of the film.

"Monster" details that despite problems, undeniable bandmember camaraderie and underlying mutual respect has allowed Metallica to survive. Honored with an "MTVicon" tribute and performing to sold out stadiums at the film's conclusion, shows the band where it is at its best: playing live. The adoration, undoubtedly crucial to healing some of the wounds, seems to be the fuel that keeps the band going.

In addition to this documentary, the inner workings of Metallica will also be revealed in the group's first official autobiography, tentatively titled "So What! The Metallibook by Metallica." Random House subsidiary Broadway Books will publish the book in August 2004.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 12-13-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I'm pretty interested in the Mustaine and Newstead stuff. I hope it actually makes it to theaters.
Old 12-14-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cannot wait, i might not get it locally here in vermont. but i'll drive to boston to catch this in a theater!
Old 01-22-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SUNDANCE PREMIER

So What! Editor Steffan Chirazi went to Park City Utah for the premier of METALLICA: Some Kind Of Monster at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.

Carpet color = white. Attendees = many. Response = loud, happy, people are really into it! Directors = Joe & Bruce. Happy? Oh yes! Party afterwards? You betcha!! Update coming soon? Of course!

P.S. Was it sold out? Don't be silly! Of course!! Were the guys there? Of course they weren't! They're in Australia, silly! But they were represented by friends and family in force. Coming to a theatre to you soon-ish? Ohhhhh, I think so! Details as they become available...

Directors Bruce and Joe

For more information on METALLICA: Some Kind Of Monster, visit the official site at www.somekindofmonster.com

SUNDANCE UPDATE

It's 12:30pm mountain time, and I've had no more than three hours sleep since the 5 I had two nights ago. Last night's premiere of 'Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster' was perfect...sold-out, great response, enthusiastic buzz afterwards, minimal bullshit, nice soiree afterwards with a few cocktails and much general enthusiasm about the entire project. Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky were proud parents, their entire staff right there with them also enjoying the fruits of their labor on the big screen...ahhh, the film.

OK, I hitting the hay at 4am and up again at 7am for another screening this morning at 8:30, sooooo take the subjectivity into account when I list my favorite moments:

Lars and Torben - absolutely wonderful
James and Cali - raw, honest and very human feelings from James
Kirk in the car 'egoless' - a wonderful snapshot of the man and his nature
Rob on joining - you just know he's so right (even though we do know if you know what I mean!!!)
Lars and Dave Mustaine - enormous in so many ways, moving
Phil, Lars, Kirk and Bob - reality is a powerful thing when witnessed
Bob in song development for 'Frantic' - showcases his fullsome contributions
James talking to Bob - at the end of the album sessions...very very emotional
The final 5 minutes - so, so huge, the perfect icing on a rather large, expansive and thoroughly satisfying cake

...there's so much more. But having seen this film a bunch of times now, what I can say generally is that it is about human beings and relationships, love, warmth, barriers, struggles (within), tolerance, depth, work, support, all of those things. And the more you see it, the more you see.

...gotta hit some hay before this evening's press conference...

clocking off for now...

Steffan (SW! Editor on web assignment)

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=2215

updated/added:

PRESS CONFERENCE AT SUNDANCE

...and the glory continues. Live by satellite from Australia, a rather relaxed, happy and mostly tanned looking Metallica synched up with Park City to deliver answers to media questions about 'Some Kind Of Monster'...generally people asked the sort of stuff that's actually explained in the film/press kits, but a couple of people launched some good queries, with perhaps the most pointed statement coming from a middle aged parent journalist who told the band that she had always told her son to turn his 'tallica down, but since seeing the film, she was motivated to go out, buy the latest album and appreciate it with a whole new set of ears, eyes and general senses. It was something which all the band, particularly James, responded to very well, obviously delighted to know that this lady would be the first of many who could 'bridge the generations'...'Some Kind Of Monster' seems set to make a lot of new friends as well as satisfy the old...

Last edited by gerrythedon; 01-23-04 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cannot wait to see this, thanks for the post!
Old 01-22-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Jeffrey Wells column on Kevin Smiths moviepoopshoot.com web site....

Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky's METALLICA: SOME KIND OF MONSTER, however, is an instrument of a different color. It's not made for the fans, especially, although I could see the fans enjoying it, or at least being intrigued. And it's not a concert film or any other kind of tribute to Metallica's enormous success. It's not even about their music, really. It's mainly about where it all comes from, deep down.

It's a therapy film, essentially. A piece about the troubled two-year period ('01 to '03) when "St. Anger" was being rehearsed and recorded, which was also when Hetfield was involved in a long, slow recovery from alcoholism. It's about Ulrich's anger at Hetfield's control-freak personality, and the difficulty of a bunch of middle-aged rockers trying to tap into inspiration or at least hold on to their edge, and the fact that these guys have a lot more money than they know what to do with.

At times it's almost like a verite version of SPINAL TAP. At times it's like the Osbourne's. These guys are not rocket scientists. Their maturity levels and articulation skills at times seem like those of your basic dipshit stoner. But you get past this after a while and start to see who they are on their own terms, respectfully.
(There are seven band members for the purposes of the film -- Hetfield, Ulrich, guitarist Kirk Hammett, recently hired bassist Robert Trujillo, former Metallica guitarist Dave Mustaine, former Metallica bass player Jason Newsted, and Metallica's producer Bob Rock.)

All I can really say about this film, not having much perspective about Metallica or their music, is that it's a very well-crafted portrait piece. It's about starting to get old in a young man's business, about a bizarre and self-enclosed culture, about the general weirdness of heavy-metal music, and about how funny and sometimes even hysterical these guys can be (unintentionally, for the most part) when left to their own devices.
Much of the group therapy scenes are led by a therapist who helps the guys talk things through. We are informed toward the end of the film that this bright and gentle-mannered guy was on the Metallica payroll for two years-plus at a rate of $40,000 per month.

METALLICA: SOME KIND OF MONSTER will screen in Park City three times next week. It deserves a stronglysupported release in theatrical art houses and on DVD. The only downside to the whole equation is my 15 year-old son's contention that "St. Anger" is a shit album and that the band's "old stuff is much better."
Old 01-23-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dubya
The only downside to the whole equation is my 15 year-old son's contention that "St. Anger" is a shit album and that the band's "old stuff is much better."
F _ _ K this kid... j/k

... Thank's DUBYA for this post.
Old 02-04-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SOME KIND OF MONSTER FILM AT UPCOMING FESTIVALS
[METALLICA.com]

After the roaring sucess of the Sundance Film Festival, the documentary film will also be shown at the following festivals:

European Film Market
Berlin, Germany
Friday, February 6th - Cinestar 1, 17:30
Sunday, February 8th - Cinestar 7, 09:30
Wednesday, February 11th - Cinestar 6, 12:00

Santa Barbara International Film Festival
Saturday, February 7th - Metro, 11:00pm

True/False Film Festival
Saturday, February 14th - Missouri Theater, 4:00pm

Tampere International Film Festival (Finland)
Festival dates: March 3-7. Film times TBA

South By Southwest Film Festival
Festival dates: March 12-20. Film times TBA

Chicago International Documentary Festival
Festival dates: April 1-10. Film times TBA

San Francisco International Film Festival
Festival dates: April 14-29. Film times TBA

Newport Beach Film Festival
Festival dates: April 15-25. Film times TBA

Hot Docs Canadian International Film Festival
Festival dates: April 23 - May 2. Film times TBA

Nashville Film Festival
Festival dates: April 26 - May 2. Film times TBA

Maryland Film Festival
Festival dates: May 7-9. Film times TBA

Lake Placid Film Festival
Festival dates: June 2-6. Film times TBA

London Film Festival
Festival dates: October 14-28. Film times TBA

Athens International Film Festival
September 2004. Film times TBA

For all the latest news on Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster, visit the official website at:
http://www.somekindofmonster.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some recent reviews of the film:

http://www.moviemartyr.com/2004/metallica.htm

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...Entertainment/

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...ment-headlines

http://www.indiewire.com/onthescene/...40120fest.html

http://www.nynews.com/newsroom/01160...berlinger.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A9629C8B63

http://www.filmstew.com/Content/Dail...ntID=7766&Pg=1
Old 02-06-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the kid. I miss the old Metallica.
Old 02-06-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
I agree with the kid. I miss the old Metallica.
check out a live show and you won't miss a thing, they have been rolling out the oldest tunes in the catalog for these european, austrailian and pacific rim dates.

without checking, i think they have played every song from Kill em' All with the exception of "anesthesia (pulling teeth)" for obvious reasons of course.

KEA 21 years later and sounding as good as great as it did in 1983!
Old 02-06-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
[B]SOME KIND OF MONSTER FILM AT UPCOMING FESTIVALS
[METALLICA.com]

Lake Placid Film Festival
Festival dates: June 2-6. Film times TBA
i'm so there
Old 02-06-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if its about the new album then I'm sure the Monster is one of those Sh*t Demons from Dogma
Old 02-06-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by demonio
if its about the new album then I'm sure the Monster is one of those Sh*t Demons from Dogma
thanks for this very valuable post, your contribution is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds interesting. I enjoyed "A Year and a Half", so this should be pretty cool. Also, I'm one of the select few who actually dig "St. Anger".
Old 02-07-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by db27
thanks for this very valuable post, your contribution is greatly appreciated.

yeah I know it is

I'd much rather see the documentary about Lemmy!
Old 02-07-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by demonio
yeah I know it is

I'd much rather see the documentary about Lemmy!
watch out for that mole on his face, it eats people whole
Old 02-09-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Metalllica won Grammy #7 last night for Best Metal Performance for the track St. Anger.

YAY!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.