Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Static-X's latest album: Shadow Zone

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-31-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this album in Best Buy for $19.99, which includes a dvd along with the album. While that might be an ok price if it were at least an hour and a half long dvd (it's not...it's around 30 minutes), after Metallica put out a dvd the same length of their last album all for $9.99...just not worth it. Unfortunately, I didn't see any "album only" versions for a reasonable price.

So who has this album (and dvd) and how is it? How does it measure up to their previous two releases? I've enjoyed both of those previous albums, so I don't see how it could go wrong for me...here's the review from Blender magazine:

"***/***** (good in it's genre)

After a chaotic misstep, this industrialized metal band returns to its raging melodic roots.

When Static-X started watching Pantera ever night on Ozzfest 2000, frontman Wayne Static had a revelation: If heavy is good, heavier must be better. So he turbocharged his band's sophomore effort, Machine. But heavier wasn't better; it was atonal and monotonous, so Static hit the brakes for Static-X's follow-up, Shadow Zone, a record that's as contagious as it is caustic. The group's industrial-metal rhythms are still rigid and brutal like those of Ministry, but they adhere to more spacious textures and contemptuous melodic vocals. "Control It" marries a primal riff with a hooky refrain, while the title track contrasts disco high-hat and a bobbing beat with barbed guitars and staccato vocals. With album number three, Static-X are back in the zone."
Old 11-01-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
I've always liked Static X and was also wondering how this album turned out.