Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Day's new secret album?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if you have heard the rumors, but some have suggested the album released on Billy Joe's Adeline Records by a group calling themselves The Network is actually Green Day.

Apparently, the singer sounds a lot like Billy Joe and the band has mysteriously kept their identities secret -- using pseudonyms and not showing their faces...

Here's an article from MTV:

Did Green Day Secretly Release A New Album Tuesday? Only The Snoo Knows

Have Green Day gone undercover?

That's the question that began floating in cyberspace when a band called the Network released its debut CD/DVD, Money Money 2020, on Tuesday.

The album was released on Oakland-based Adeline Records, an imprint co-owned by Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong and his wife. Visitors to the Web site (www.adelinerecords.net) are greeted with the song "Supermodel Robots." Propelled by an uptempo stomp, the tune features a singer whose nasally voice immediately brings Billie Joe's signature whining snarl to mind.

A curious post on the popular fan site www.greenday.net furthered speculation. "I got the new Network album ... and it rocks," the webmaster wrote Wednesday. "Now that I think about it, the band has an oddly familiar sound. Hmmm ..."

The Network's biography makes things even more mysterious. All five of the members, whose faces are obscured on both the album cover and in photos, use ridiculous pseudonyms, like Van Gogh, who's a macrobiotic vegan from Belgium; the Snoo, a former Mexican wrestler from Argentina who was twice jailed in Texas for messing with the state; and Captain Underpants, a Swedish stutterer. One more thing: The band was brought together in accordance with an ancient prophecy.

A spokesperson for Green Day's label, Reprise, couldn't say whether or not the Network are actually Green Day and instead passed the buck to Adeline Records. The Adeline Records spokesperson also was unable to confirm the true identity of the band and claimed to have never met the Snoo or Captain Underpants.

—Joe D'Angelo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add more to the mystery. This supposed unknown band on an indie label is releasing their CD with a DVD which includes 6 videos...
Old 10-08-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From adelinerecords.com:

THE NETWORK
A synthesis of pop and sarcastic social commentary in an electronic new-wave post-punk experience in sound and fury...wrapped in an enigma. This is a band you cannot afford to miss.

BIOGRAPHY
By now you know about the music, let me tell you what we know about the band "THE NETWORK". They are extremely mysterious and never show their faces to humans or cameras. The members hail from all corners of the world and were brought together by an ancient prophecy, which predicted their rise to world power and eventually their demise. Here is a little about the men of THE NETWORK.

FINK: He might be considered the leader, being as he finances the group using money he made on a "TOP SECRET" nuclear invention he created shortly before dropping out of M.I.T. He's an Aquarius.

VAN GOUGH: A macrobiotic/vegan, from Belgium, Van Gough was forced to work entrail duty at his uncle's slaughterhouse in Fresno from the age of 10 until 18 where he moved to Tibet to conquer Mount Everest. After 12 attempts and suffering frostbite on over 80 percent of his body and losing his nose he returned to his favorite city, Oakland where he raises animals for experimental laboratory purposes.

THE SNOO: Formally a Mexican Wrestler from Argentina, The Snoo grew up poor on the busted streets of Buenos Aires and refuses to let the success of THE NETWORK affect him or his wardrobe IN ANY WAY. Jailed twice in Texas for messing with Texas, he does not claim to be reformed. Likes to eat hot peppers.

CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS: Although we do not know which sport or event, we do know he has two Olympic medals that he won for the Swedish national team. He made his first synthesizer when he was only six years old. He speaks seven languages and all with a slight stutter.

Z: This Icelandic sculptors name is so hard to pronounce, they call him Z. Likes to hitchhike. He plays keyboards with one finger. Uses Capt. Underpants' home made keyboards exclusively.
Old 10-08-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the FUNK is going on here????????????????????

I swear I've heard a single that sounded like Green Day but when they mentioned the name it didn't sound familiar. Very weird indeed but I would not be suprised one bit if it was Green Day. Everyone's got a gimmick these days........and considering the fall(of sales) of the once great band of Green Day.............?
Old 10-08-03, 04:50 PM
Suspended

A synthesis of pop and sarcastic social commentary in an electronic new-wave post-punk experience in sound and fury...wrapped in an enigma. This is a band you cannot afford to miss

nice, I love sarcastic social commentary!
Old 10-08-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by C_Fletch
What the FUNK is going on here????????????????????

I swear I've heard a single that sounded like Green Day but when they mentioned the name it didn't sound familiar. Very weird indeed but I would not be suprised one bit if it was Green Day. Everyone's got a gimmick these days........and considering the fall(of sales) of the once great band of Green Day.............?
I don't think this was done as a gimmick to increase sales, considering the album's being released on an independant label with little or no fanfare.
Old 10-09-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
It also could've been a case where Green Day had a bunch of songs that didn't "feel" right on a Green Day album, but because of their contractual obligations with their parent label, they couldn't use their real names on the album. Or maybe they want the album to stand on its own. :shrugs:
Old 10-09-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ctyner
It also could've been a case where Green Day had a bunch of songs that didn't "feel" right on a Green Day album, but because of their contractual obligations with their parent label, they couldn't use their real names on the album. Or maybe they want the album to stand on its own. :shrugs:
Which is quite possible. Of course, a lot of people will end up buying the CD by the Network because they think it might be Green Day.
Old 10-10-03, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After listening to the album, I'm not convinced. That single is really the only song that sounds remotely like them.
Old 10-10-03, 05:07 AM

the indie label is owned by green day. the only album released on this label is the network album. the promo cd for this album listed one of the members name as tre. figured it out yet?
Old 10-10-03, 09:32 AM

Have you listened to the album? Really not the kind of music I would see them touching.

The promo track does indeed sound like Billie Joe and I wouldn't be surprised if it was him singing. But the other tracks, no way is that him.

Last edited by tor_greg; 10-10-03 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-10-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frank Edwin Wright III, better known as Tre Cool of Green Day
Old 10-10-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rubix
the indie label is owned by green day. the only album released on this label is the network album. the promo cd for this album listed one of the members name as tre. figured it out yet?
Huh? There are tons of bands signed to Adeline Records. In fact, I own 3 of them -- all by One Man Army.
Old 10-10-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tor_greg
Have you listened to the album? Really not the kind of music I would see them touching.

The promo track does indeed sound like Billie Joe and I wouldn't be surprised if it was him singing. But the other tracks, no way is that him.
I'd like to hear it. When you say the rest doesn't sound like them -- do you mean musically or vocally or both? If just musically, then it would make sense that they released it under another name.
Old 10-10-03, 03:56 PM

Both. That promo track really stands out from the rest of the album, and I wouldn't be surprised if they really did tack on that track sung really by Billie Joe with the intentions of using it for their marketing. And, it's working, obviously.
Old 10-10-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It's not Green Day.

Green Day has 3 members. The Network has 5 members. It's possible that Billy Joe is singing for The Network. I don't think he's contractually obligated to not perform in other bands while still in Green Day (like other punk musicians who got suckered into bad record deal contracts)... to prove this point, after Green Day was signed to a major label, Billy Joe continued to perform in Pinhead Gunpowder and used his name. Other side-project bands have come and gone as well.

My analasys of the song has me thinking that it's quite possible that it's not Billy Joe - even if it was, so what? And the drumming is probably Tre Cool (cuz I was bored by it). Listening to the bass, it does sound alot like the same bass that Mike uses (although it's a popular bass). That doesn't change the fact that even if all the members of Green Day where in this band, that doesn't make this a secret green day album. This would be an entirely new band with a new sound. They sort of remind me of The McCrackins with the quirky music and voice effects and costumes and anonymity.

And Adeline have have plenty of other releases.
Old 10-28-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To add more to the "controversy."

Billy Joe left an interesting message on the official Green Day website regarding this:

Hey everybody, what’s up? This is Billy Joe. Uh, I just wanted to talk about the rumors and the bullshit that has been going on lately. All I gotta say is **** The Network. These guys are totally spreading rumors. I try to do those guys a favor by bringing them to this country and putting out their record and this is how I get repaid, by talking shit about my band. Anyways, unfortunately there is a contract and I have to put out their record. So, The only thing I can say is ‘**** you Network, bring it on’, [unintelligible]
Then, the Network responded on their official website:

- 23 OKTOBER 2003 -
Message from the Doctor

"Welcome to the official network website. We will do the best to update you on the activities of The Network and all of the boys events.

First the good news! The Network will be playing their first American show on November 22 of 2003 in Los Angeles at the Key Club. This show will be the biggest spectacular since that lion tried to kill that gay guy in Las Vegas. Get tickets now folks because the venue is small and not like the giant stadiums they play in Europe. Also the Network merchandise (T-shirts, leg warmers) will be available next week so check the site and dress yourself and impress yourself.

Now the bad news. It seems that the lead singer of Green Day has been ranting about The Network. A band that is on his own label! He is throwing insults at The Network like it is shit, not unlike a monkey who poos and then throws his feces in the faces of his loved ones. Well, Mr. Hot Shot Punk God with the giant penis, just because you wrote "Keep them Separated" and "Endless Love" don't come screaming at us because we are young and hot. We're here to start a revolution, and either you are in or you are out. But we are willing to settle things and get along, because why should we fight with a man that wrote "Pretty Fly for a White Boy" so bad it is ironic! But if you have a problem with us Mr. Green Day come to the Key Club and watch a real band play and learn a few things! We dare you!! Dare You!!!! Surrender and smell the taint of The Network!

The second thing that is pissing me off is how fellow Lushotologist Liza Minnelli is being sued by her homosexual husband for beating him. He is asking for ten million dollars because he said she attacked him and gave him "scalp tenderness" and "phonophobia" ( a fear of telephones)! Now we know our dear liza would never hurt a fly. But be warned Mr. homosexual husband, The Network will give you more than scalp tenderness if you follow through with this lawsuit! Be warned! Be warned!

On a closing note I cannot stress enough how much we appreciate our fans or are cult followers! The Network do not work like Jessica Simpson, we do not drink the teet of radio payola! So call your local radio station and demand they play The Network! Do it for us, do it for Saint Joey Ramone and Saint Joe Strummer. The Revolution has begun ladies and gentlemen! Let the show now begin.

Be free and join the church
Doctor S.

P.S. Also the message board is bored...please try to be clever you are beginning to bore us. "
And finally, Mike Dirnt of Green Day responds to the Network:

Dear Network!
I don't know which one of you clowns is your leader, but listen up!
Billie Joe may be obligated to put out your records, but I'm not obligated
to like your band. I hope you enjoy your 15 minutes of borrowed fame, because
where I come from one good record doesn't mean dick. So keep runnin' your mouths
cause it'll give me a good reason to come to the Key Club and kick all your circus monkey
asses!!!!
Mike Dirnt!!!!!
Old 10-29-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well one thing that is true
Pinhead Gunpowder released a new record last week, "Compulsive Disclosure" and that band does feature one Mr. Billy Joe Armstrong on vocals

for anyone who cares

Old 10-30-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by musick
well one thing that is true
Pinhead Gunpowder released a new record last week, "Compulsive Disclosure" and that band does feature one Mr. Billy Joe Armstrong on vocals

for anyone who cares

Yeah, I like some of PHG.
Old 10-30-03, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rumor is that Green Day turned in a album that was not up to snuff and the label refused to release it...so they donned another name and did this..
Old 10-31-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"just because you wrote "Keep them Separated" and "Endless Love" don't come screaming at us because we are young and hot. We're here to start a revolution, and either you are in or you are out. But we are willing to settle things and get along, because why should we fight with a man that wrote "Pretty Fly for a White Boy" so bad it is ironic! "

OK! Nobody is that f'in stupid to think that Green Day is responsible for Pretty Fly For a White Guy and Keep Them Seperated. Either they are pulling one huge joke or these guys are the dumbest band on the planet.
Old 10-31-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by C_Fletch
"just because you wrote "Keep them Separated" and "Endless Love" don't come screaming at us because we are young and hot. We're here to start a revolution, and either you are in or you are out. But we are willing to settle things and get along, because why should we fight with a man that wrote "Pretty Fly for a White Boy" so bad it is ironic! "

OK! Nobody is that f'in stupid to think that Green Day is responsible for Pretty Fly For a White Guy and Keep Them Seperated. Either they are pulling one huge joke or these guys are the dumbest band on the planet.
I think it was obvious they were joking. I'm 99% sure that at least some of the members of Green Day (Billie Joe & Mike Dirnt), if not all of them are in the band.

If I'm wrong, then I'm 100% sure that The Network is in cahoots with Green Day about this whole "conspiracy." -- i.e. either spreading the rumors or helping to keep them alive.
Old 10-31-03, 04:28 PM
Suspended

tired of this... if there was a new Greenday CD out i would just buy it for fk's sake
Old 11-01-03, 03:31 PM

My opinion is that this is all just brilliant marketing to give The Network (a legitimate band that is not Green Day) exposure. A band you otherwise would NEVER have heard about. And hey, it's working.
Old 11-09-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just picked up this album (which is great) and can help clarify why some folks here don't think it sounds like Green Day. As mentioned, there are 5 members...well, the other two members are Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerald Casale from Devo! Mark is definitely doing vocals on several tracks, and Gerald is doing vocals on one. Also, the album sounds very, very much like Devo circa 1978. Having the members identities hidden and using fake names is very much something Devo might do (Booji Boy anyone?). If you're a Devo fan, run and get this, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, the CD comes with a free 6 video DVD.

Check out this humerous (fake) press conference, where we learn that the lead singer only speaks German (!) and a fight breaks out when a journalist insists they are related to Green Day somehow: http://www.thenetworkband.com/networkWEB.mov