Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Air CD Details Jan 2004

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 02:53 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

There's Something Else In The 'AIR'!

AIR Announce details of New Album!

The album was performed and produced by Air at Revolvair studio, Paris between October 2002 and February 2003. Air recorded nearly everything themselves, including all the voices, some on Nigel Godrich's special request. Strings were arranged by Michel Colombier, who, before moving to the US in 1975, used to arrange some of Serge Gainsbourg's (Je T'aime) best recordings back in the early 70's.

"Talkie walkie" is reputed to be the most personal they have recorded in their entire career. (The title "Talkie walkie" refers to the unspoken communication (telepathy?) between Godin & Dunckel. ) The last track "Alone in Kyoto" was originally recorded for Sofia Coppola's new feature "Lost in Translation" and is already available on the soundtrack. The tracklisting, although, it may change slightly from now 'till then sounds like this...

1. Venus
2. Cherry blossom girl
3. Run
4. Universal traveler
5. Mike Mills
6. Surfin’ on a rocket
7. Another day
8. Alpha beta gaga
9. Biological
10. Alone in Kyoto
Old 10-02-03, 02:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool!... I hope they tour again, the performance I saw at the 9:30 Club awhile back was unreal, it was a lot FUN!.
Old 10-02-03, 03:07 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yup I saw them at the warfield in SF, and was amazed at the show and how it was performed.
Old 10-02-03, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Yup I saw them at the warfield in SF, and was amazed at the show and how it was performed.
The guitarist with the long hair was a trip, he looked like he was having a great time, grinning from ear to ear and floppin' his hair around... hearing the AIR songs played really loud is a completely different experience than the albums, and I dare say more so.
Old 10-02-03, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not keen on hijacking this thread, but I've been meaning to ask this question (and I think I'd get a good answer here)...

The only Air I've heard is 10,000 Hz Legend, which I didn't like at all. Two listens, and I returned it to the library. But I hear great things about Moon Safari, which I gather is considerably different from its successor. What does Moon Safari sound like? Is it electronica, or lounge, or something else entirely? To put this question in perspective for respondents, my knowledge of electronica/trance/trip-hop/whatever (in terms of albums I've actually heard) pretty much ends at Moby's Play (enjoyable) and the Beth Orton album before Daybreaker (OK, but it didn't age well with me).

So dumb it down for me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-03, 04:52 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Moon Safari is like Serge Gainsbourgh meets, Moby. Some beautiful songs.
Old 10-02-03, 10:31 PM

Moon Safari and 10,000 Hertz Legend aren't even in the same league in my book. I've probably listened to Moon Safari a hundred times in the last 4 years or so, but I've never listened to all of 10,000 Hz Legend, which I bought on release day. 10,000 isn't a bad album, but it's just not the kind of follow up to Moon Safari and The Virgin Suicides score I was hoping for.
Old 10-02-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moon Safari is one of the best albums I've heard in the last four years. It's one of those albums that's so good that every other album you hear for months afterwards just makes you think, "Gee, I wish I were listening to Moon Safari."

Can't wait for the new album.

- David Stein
Old 10-03-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first Air album I heard was Moon Safari and I was blown away. I was quite disappointed with 10,000 Hz Legend.. it just plain isn't as good.

Premiers Symptomes is excellent, on the other hand. Definately worth a listen if you like Safari.
Old 10-06-03, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the responses -- I'll keep it on my list of albums I need to check out.
Old 10-07-03, 12:30 AM

but what's interesting is that even though a number of people who have posted here say they were disappointed with 10,000 Hz Legend - live,(in concert) all the songs seem to take on a completely different yet cohesive form. Sure Moon Safari is different and more grand that Legend, but when juxtaposed together in a concert experience, it all connects (well for me it did). (psst, I loved to see a performance DVD of this band, better yet remaster all the disc for 5.1 surround sound )
Old 11-30-03, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought I'd bring up this thread to mention that I've got Talkie Walkie, and my verdict after a couple listens is ...

Not as good as Safari (difficult to beat) but better than 10,000 Hz (not difficult to beat). The album has a darker feel, similar to Virgin Suicides. The ultimate demise of the album is the use of vocals, which distracts from the music more than it adds to it. Two tracks are outstanding and worth seeking out, Mike Mills and Alone in Kyoto.
Old 11-30-03, 10:35 AM

In terms of 10,000 Hz I have to say the two songs I really like are "People in the City" and "Don't Be Light" other than that the rest of the album is just average.
Old 12-02-03, 10:08 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I would agree with Pantala, its quite close to safari, I have only listened to it once.

and of course had already heard Kyoto on the Lost in Translation soundtrack.