Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Journey-The Very Best of Donna Summer 9/30

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Press Release

Source: UTV/Mercury/UMe

Donna Summer Unveils First New Songs Produced by Giorgio Moroder for a Summer Album Since 1981 on Two-CD 'The Top 10 Pop Hits and More' Retrospective THE JOURNEY: THE VERY BEST OF DONNA SUMMER.

Dance music's greatest diva, Donna Summer, and its greatest producer, Giorgio Moroder, have reunited on a Summer- headlining album for the first time in 22 years with two new recordings -- bonuses on the two-CD set THE JOURNEY: THE VERY BEST OF DONNA SUMMER (UTV/Mercury/UMe), released September 30, 2003. "That's The Way" and "Dream-A-Lot's Theme (I Will Live For Love)" are the pair's first collaborations on a Summer album since 1981's I'M A RAINBOW. (1992's one-off "Carry On" won the first Grammy for Best Dance Recording when issued in the U.S. in 1997).

Just as Summer's autobiography Ordinary Girl: The Journey reaches bookstores on October 07, 2003, THE JOURNEY: THE VERY BEST OF DONNA SUMMER also looks back at her extraordinary career. The 18 classic selections, each digitally remastered, include all 14 of her Top 10 pop hits (12 produced by Moroder, often collaborations with Pete Bellotte; the majority co-written by Summer). Spanning 1975-1999 and a handful of labels, the collection boasts two platinum and ten gold singles.
A bonus disc features extended 12" mixes of "I Feel Love", "Hot Stuff", "This Time I Know It's For Real", "Dream-A-Lot's Theme (I Will Live For Love)", and the now breaking radio hit "You're So Beautiful".

Summer broke through in 1975 with "Love To Love You Baby", which went gold, creating history for a 17-minute song. Her cover of Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic", "I Feel Love" and "I Love You" followed before she crystallized the disco phenomenon with 1978's gold "Last Dance" from Thank God It's Friday, the film in which she appeared. The song also won an Oscar as well as a Grammy (Best R&B Female Vocal Performance); her first of five Grammys in four different categories.

She continued her gold streak with Jimmy Webb's "MacArthur Park" and scored with "Heaven Knows" before 1979's BAD GIRLS spun off the #1 platinums "Hot Stuff" (Grammy winner for Best Rock Female Vocal Performance) and "Bad Girls", and gold "Dim All The Lights." Summer became the first woman with three solo #1s in one year with "Hot Stuff", "Bad Girls", and "MacArthur Park".

Ending the decade were the #1 gold "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)", a duet with Barbra Streisand, and the gold "On The Radio", which titled her greatest hits package, her third consecutive #1 double album, marking her as the only solo artist in history with that distinction.

Summer opened the '80s by becoming the first artist signed to Geffen Records, debuting with "The Wanderer". In 1982 she teamed with Quincy Jones for "Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)" and a cover of the Jon Anderson-Vangelis track "State Of Independence". 1983's "She Works Hard For The Money" produced by Michael Omartian preceded a hiatus broken by 1989's "This Time I Know It's For Real" produced by British dance pop juggernaut Stock/Aitken/Waterman. Her most recent hit single, "I Will Go With You (Con Te Partiro)," debuted at a 1999 VH-1 concert before an adoring audience of both baby boomers and their offspring.
With the new songs on THE JOURNEY: THE VERY BEST OF DONNA SUMMER, the journey for one of pop's greatest singer continues.

In Ordinary Girl: The Journey (Villard Books, a division of Random House), Donna Summer candidly recounts her journey from singing in a Boston church to her European coming-of-age in the late 1960's to her unexpected reign as Queen of Disco, as well as the tragedy and spiritual rebirth that followed.
In addition to the numerous professional and personal highs, Ordinary Girl also recounts Summer's triumphs over adversity: a difficult Boston childhood that consisted of low self-esteem, and two near-death experiences; life in Europe in the late Sixties where she became a victim of domestic violence and nearly died from an infection of the heart; feeling disconnected from the Disco Diva persona of the Seventies which led to a suicide attempt at the height of her fame; and the personal tragedies that led to her spiritual awakening.

From Boston to Munich to New York to Los Angeles and a cast of characters that includes Barbra Streisand, Sophia Loren, David Geffen, Giorgio Moroder, and Sylvester Stallone, Ordinary Girl recounts Donna Summer's extraordinary journey from childhood to pop culture immortality.

Source: UTV/Mercury/UMe
Old 09-29-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc: 1
1. Love To Love You Baby
2. Could It Be Magic
3. I Feel Love
4. I Love You
5. Last Dance
6. MacArthur Park
7. Heaven Knows
8. Hot Stuff
9. Bad Girls
10. Dim All The Lights
11. No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
12. On The Radio
13. The Wanderer
14. Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)
15. State of Independence
16. She Works Hard For The Money
17. This Time I Know It’s For Real
18. I Will Go With You (Con Te Partiro)
19. That’s The Way
20. Dream-A-Lot’s Theme (I Will Live For Love)

Disc: 2
1. I Feel Love – 12” single remix
2. Hot Stuff – 12” single remix
3. She Works Hard For The Money – 12” single remix
4. This Time I Know It’s For Real – 12” extended remix
Yet another greatest hits for Donna?

I'll pass...

The only thing it has going for it are the two new tracks by her & Georgio. But, those aren't going to be worth $8 each.

If you want a real good Donna collection...check this one out..
Old 10-01-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Donna. Seeing her on Live and More: Encore showed what a beautiful voice she has. A voice that transcends the genre of music (disco) she's associated with.

But yet another compilation album? Jeez. She performed a numbers of songs on her last VH-1 concert that haven't been recorded including some for the play she has indefinitely shelved. Those songs were very good. Add these two new ones and a few more and you have a new album.

Last edited by big whoppa; 10-01-03 at 02:29 PM.