DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   1001 Greatest Songs to Download (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/319281-1001-greatest-songs-download.html)

einTier 09-22-03 01:49 AM

1001 Greatest Songs to Download

Well, that's the title of the cover article of the latest issue of Blender. To be fair, it assumes that you are going to download it from one of the officially licensed download sites, and if the track is unavailable, you'll buy the CD. The list is certainly interesting, but I thought we could do better here. Since this is my thread, here's the rules:

1. List as few songs as you'd like, but to keep the thread flowing, no more than 25.
2. Include a one or two sentance note discussion of the song.
3. Each song can only be nominated once. If someone else already claimed it, pick another.
4. Feel free to have a criteria for your picking (worth downloading, but not worth buying the CD; best unknown songs; best one hit wonders; best death metal) or no criteria whatsoever.

Here's my list (picked semi-randomly with help from Winamp)
1. Evanescence -- any track from Fallen : This is the best new group to come out in several years. They show quite a range on their debut album, and there's absolutely no filler.
2. Stone's Throw - Is There Love : One of the best unsigned, unprofessional, unsuccessful bands I've heard. Not exactly my taste, but every time I hear it, I wonder why they never made it.
3. The Bolshoi - Away : A song everyone knows and no one knows the name of, and is impossible to find on CD.
4. AC/DC - Hells Bells : Like a mother****ing freight train. It starts slow, and just carries so much weight and inertia, you can feel the unstoppable power.
5. Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole : The best "Seattle Grunge" band, and their best song.
6. David Allen Coe - You Never Even Called Me by My Name : The perfect Country and Western song. The perfect drinking song as well.
7. Depeche Mode - Walking in my Shoes : I'm a big Depeche Mode fan, and it's hard for me to pick one song. I know there are better songs, but this is the one I identify with most -- try walking in my shoes, you'd stumble in my footsteps.
8. The Beach Boys - I Get Around : Quintessential American rock n' roll. If you don't like this, you probably don't like apple pie either.
9. Rob D. - Clubbed to Death : A club song that's as complex as many classical pieces.
10. Garbage - Milk : A band I think puts out very little filler, and one of their most underrated songs.
11. George Strait - Amarillo by Morning : If you're going to listen to country and western, this is a great place to start. There are few country artists I think have accomplished as much.
12. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven : I can't believe I selected this, but everyone should know why it's such a classic.
13. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man : I love this style of rock and roll, and the rest of their songs are too overrated.
14. Metallica - Shortest Straw : It is literally all downhill from here.
15. Nevermore - Insignificant : Great 80's heavy metal by a completely unknown band.
16. Type O Negative - Black No. 1 : The best goth rock has to offer.
17. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why : If this song doesn't make you want to get naked, you aren't alive.
18. Van Morrison - These are the Days : I'm just now getting into Van, but I couldn't miss having him on the list.
19. Tori Amos - Putting the Damage On : OK, so I'm a big fan and I love almost everything she does. I think she's at her best when she's singing about being trying to be strong in the face of adversity and failing completely, as she is here.
20. The Smiths - How Soon is Now? : Best. Song. Ever.
21. Willie Nelson - Blue Skies : Can't think of many artists that are so universally liked. He puts so much emotion into everything he sings.
22. Pink Floyd - High Hopes : Forgive me, this is far from their best work, and is well after the Roger Waters days. However, it's one of the few I can listen to "out of context".
23. Nine Inch Nails - Last : Pure, unrelenting anger. What Trent Reznor does best.
24. Cirque Du Soliel - Seisouso : I love the fact that the music sounds classical, and the vocals a romance language, when in actuality, it's neither.

25. all the songs I wanted to include, but couldn't.

benedict 03-06-04 07:10 AM

This was a great idea for a thread and well-executed by einTier!

I am ashamed that I don't have 25 picks to post just now! Maybe later!

Alyoshka 03-06-04 02:29 PM

Very cool idea...I do use Itunes and like to buy a single or two once a week. Here are the ones I have recently bought.

1. Beck - Lost Cause: Great song from Sea Change that is able to make me really melancholy.
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps: This band is great and this is one song most people will find accessible. It's not as harsh as some of their other songs.
3. The Strokes - 12:51: Most people like the Strokes and this is just a great catchy song.
4. The Rentals - Friend of P: Who wouldn't want this song? It just makes you smile.
5. Lisa Loeb - Stay: A chart topper that should be enough to make everyone remember a part of their life.
6. Chicago - Mister Cellophane: I like musicals and this is one of the better songs you can find. The lyrics are wonderful...the music is perfect...and John C. Reilly does a really good job singing it.
7 & 8. Alison Krauss - Down to the River to Pray and I'll Fly Away: I didn't want the entire O'Brother soundtrack...just the two songs Alison sang.
9. The Bens - Help!: Come on it's Ben Folds, Ben Kweller, and Ben Lee together so it's going to be cool.
10. Ryan Adams - Wonderwall: I am a sucker for Oasis covers.

Drexl 03-06-04 03:12 PM

U2 - "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (acoustic)"

It's on iTunes and apparently nowhere else. This is what I got with my first winning Pepsi cap. It's on Kevin Bacon's playlist on the site.

deadlax 03-06-04 06:36 PM

1. Night Flight - Jeff Buckley coving Zepp off Live at the Sin-E. Not my favorite song or musician, but definitely my favorite piece of music all time.
2. The River - Joni Mitchell, Possibly my favorite song ever.
3. Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield, Everyone should have a copy of this.
4. Hard to Handle - Otis Redding, My fave R and B song of all time.

Working on the rest, bbl.

Gcomeau 03-06-04 07:44 PM

Try getting Bad by U2 from Live Aid. Kick a$$ 12 minutes of magic.

Pillowhead 03-06-04 08:44 PM

Pink Moon - Nick Drake - Very surreal song and very somber. Good to listen to at night.

Sweet Thing - Van Morrison - Lovely song. If I get married, I will have this song at my wedding.

Yellow - Coldplay - Awesome song, nuff said.

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC - Bon Scott and the boys at their best. My fav AC/DC song of all time.

Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin - My Favorite Zeppelin song of all times. Lovely slow burning blues.

Little Wing- Jimi Hendrix - Sad but beautiful song. I can listen to this all the time.

Power To Love - Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsies - This song will knock you on your ass!

Present Tense - Pearl Jam - One of my favorite Pearl Jam songs. It builds and builds into something and then....

Fearless - Pink Floyd - One of my favorites after I started listening to them awhile. Great lyrics.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - The Rolling Stones - Kick ass song! The opening riff just rules.

Sparks - The Who - Live at Leeds Version - Awesome Rock N' Roll. Listen to the drumming of Keith Moon.

Stuck On You - Failure - Brilliant Slow Pounding song. Too bad they broke up.

Angel - Massive Attack - Great song to drive alone to at night. Or a great song to have in a movie where someone is getting their ass kicked in slow motion.

raiders757 03-07-04 09:21 AM

Re: 1001 Greatest Songs to Download

Originally posted by einTier

1. List as few songs as you'd like, but to keep the thread flowing, no more than 25.

Is that 25 per post? Can we contribute more than one post? I can think of 100's of songs to download.

Here is 25 that come to mind right off the top of my head.

DEVO - She's Just a Girl - A great song by a strange, but great band. I highly recomend this song to anyone looking for that "New Wave" sound. It sounds like it belongs in a movie soundtrack. May have been ya' never know.

U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name - This is one of my favorite U2 songs, and a must have for this list.

A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - Space Age Love Song - Another neat little "New Wave" song, that I find very enjoyable, despite my love for heavy music(which I am not displaying on this list so far)

ASIA - Sole Survivor - A lot of people have forgotten about this great AOR hit from the early 80's. One of the best songs Asia has ever done.

INXS - Don't Change the Earth - To me this is the best INXS ever made. It has a great pace, and can put you into a good mood in no time flat.

BIG COUNTRY - Fields of Fire - Fans of the 80's will say to get the song "Big Country", but "Fields of Fire" is much better. Great upbeat tune IMO.

HONEYMOON SUITE - Feel it Again - A great song by a not so great band. Good for any mixed CD.

JACKSON BROWNE - Tender is the Night - This is a great song, what more can I say. download it now!!!

MISSING PERSONS - Walking in L.A. - This is another cool "New Wave" song, that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

MODERN ENGLISH - Melt With You - Probably thier most popular song ever.

PETER SCHILLING - Major Tom - I have always loved this song. Even back when I was young in my, if it isn't "Metal" it aint shit mode. There is a German, and English version that can be found.

NENA - 99 Red Balloons - This is a great old song, that I liked despite my bias towards "Metal" when I was young. There is also a German version of this one as well, called "99 Luft Balloons".

TALK TALK - It's My Life - The real version of the song that was covered by No Doubt more recently.

MEN AT WORK - It's a Mistake - A better alternative to downloading thier more well known hits.

DURAN DURAN - Girls On Film - I have always liked this song. Don't know whay, I just have.

AC/DC - Put The Finger On You - This is a forgotten AOR classic by one of the worlds greatest bands.

ACCEPT - Bound To Fail - If there ever was a song made to end a mixed CD with, this is it. With it's grandiose, and triumphant ending, nothing could be better for way to exit any "Hard rock/Metal" CD.

IRON MAIDEN - Waysted Years - Not my favorite Maiden song by far, but a must have track for this list. It is a great song, and can appeal to a wide audience. I'm going to cheat here, and aslo say to try and get "Aces High", or "Run to the Hills" as well.

JUDAS PRIEST - The Hellion/Electric Eye - I have given you a great song to end a "Metal" CD with, now here is a great song to being it with. This song kicks so much ass, it isn't even funny.

DOKKEN - Breaking the Chains - A great cheesy break up song, that makes you feel good. This was early 80's "Hard Rock" at it's best, before it was ruined, and termed "Hair Metal".

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN - Wall of Denial - Really you could put any SRV song here. He is one of the greatest guitar players to ever grace our ears. I think his version of "Little Wing" is even better than Jimi Hendrix's version, and that is saying a lot I tell ya'.

Y&T - Rescue Me - I didn't know weather to put this song, or thier kick ass song "Mean Streak" on this list. I went with this one since it is a little lesser known(as is Y&T). This is a great "Hard Rock" song that anyone with an open mind would love.

DREAM THEATER - Pull Me Under - I will go out on a limb here, and say this is the greatest song to receive rotation on rock radio in the 90's. Nothing else that came out in that sad era(the 90's) of music can compare to this work of art, nothing!!

HELLOWEEN - I Want Out - Great guitar harmony, with high pitched vocals. Everything you would exspect from a Euro "Prog Rockish" band. Don't let the high pitvhed vocals turn you away from this song, it is really a great tune. Check it out, if you like your music a little on the harder side.

KROKUS - Long Stick Goes Boom - You will swear this is AC/DC when you first hear this song, but it is not. It is Swiss metal band Krokus, the band that had a big AOR hit with "Screaming in the Night". "Stick Goes Boom" is a must have MP3. A great song. Cheesy, but great.

Well that's my 25, and if the thread starter lets me, I will add more, if nobody else does. We have a long way to go to get to a 1000 songs. Lets get going people.

costanza 03-07-04 03:31 PM

i've got a few.

1counting crows-round here. the live version from the angels of the silences single. in paris from the 94' tour, it's 12 minutes long and fantastic.
2annie lennox-why. from saturday night live. she puts so much emotion into it, it's almost too much.
3lifehouse-everything. they're a christian group, so it's probably about jesus but they don't mention it. so you can pretend it's about the one you love. awww
4ben folds five-brick. i know i love the slow sad music, and this fits right in.
5radiohead-creep. i'm also a creep, i can relate.
6bonnie raitt-i can't make you love me. the saddest song ever
7counting crows-rain king. they do a live version of rain king, and they insert into the middle of the song bruce springsteens thunder road. it fits so perfectly, awesome.
8robyn hitchcock- she doesn't exist. counting crows do a cover of this too whcih i like better but the original is still great.
9sparklehorse-someday i will treat you good. gotta love a song about killing your girlfriend and leaving her body along the side of the road.
10ryan adams-sweet carolina. it's pretty country but you have to look past that and just enjoy the song.
11the replacements-unsatisfied. i like songs i can realte to and feel, and this is one of them.
12counting crows-another horse dreamers blues. i'm a big fan of counting crows as you could probably tell.
13counting crows-chelsea. from their live record across a wire. from vh1 storytellers.
14counting crows-mercury. crazy obsessive women kick ass.
15elton john-your song. they use it in moulin rouge, great song.
16fear factory-cars. used to play test drive 6 all the time so i could here this song.
17fiona apple-shadowboxer. her first song, where did she go away too?
18foo fighters-everlong. they played an acoustic version on howard stern one time. slowed it down a lot, good stuff.
19john mayer-why georgia. i like all of mayer's stuff, i picked this one out of the many.
20joni mitchell-help me. can't not put a joni mitchell song on here.
21matchbox 20-bright lights. like john mayer, i love all of their stuff.
22metallica-turn the page. i love this bob seager cover from garage inc cd.
23poe-angry johnny. only song of poe's i've ever heard, mid 90's
24seven mary three-water's edge. i love cumbersome too, but this is definitely my favorite of 7mary3's
25sheriff-when i'm with you. love those sappy love songs
26stone temple pilots-creep. i like the unplugged version
27the la's-there she goes. so i married an axe murderer
28three days grace-i hate everything about you. very romantic.
29toadies-possum kingdom. i'll show you my dark secret.
30the who-behind blue eyes. i'm not a limp bizkit fan.
31seether-broken. good stuff
sorry i went past 25, couldn't help myself:)

fallow 03-07-04 03:45 PM

From albums you should own, shouldn't own, and otherwise.

1. Sam Cooke - "A Change is Gonna Come" Who knew a song about hope could sound so dour? Who knew a sound so dour could squeeze in sexuality? Oh yeah, it's the best song evah!

2. The Star Spangles - "Which of the Two of Us is Gonna Burn this House Down?" Hear Paul Westerberg get out-Paul Westerberg'd by some NYC fashionistas that are The Replacements to The Strokes' Television.

3. Danger Mouse - "Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Julia (Jay-Z remix)" Turning The Beatles' "Julia" into some booty crunk glitch. If this conceptually sounds like the 8th deadly sin, you should bathe yourself in the devil's glory.

4. LCD Soundsystem - "Losing My Edge" Jeep-thumping bass + 7 mins of name-dropping. I should mention that this song is a passive-aggressive stab against p2pers. Oh irony.

5. Britney Spears - "Toxic" I'm not in the habit of sticking up for her but she isn't as bad when in club/dance mode. Did you ever expect a spaghetti-western guitar to show up in a Spears song?

6. Go Home Productions - "Sly Beyonce Walks Like a Nerd" 4 reasons to hear this mash-up: Sly and the Family Stone, Beyonce, N.E.R.D., and The Bangles.

7. The Avalanches - "Frontier Psychiatrist" Was the DJ song of the decade really recorded in 2001?

8. DMBQ - "Equipment" Japanese garage rock-psychadelic stew for people that really want RAWK. Slicing guitar hooks. I would kill to see this song live.

9. Noise for Pretend - "It's Oh So Quiet (Bjork cover)" Plays up the big band sound of the original.

10. Chris Clark - "Love's Gone Bad" Rollicking soul in near perfection.

11. The Prisonaires - "Just Walking in the Rain" I don't know if this is the original but it is some Nashville jailmates doo-wopping the best version I've heard.

12. Ananda Shankar - "Streets of Calcutta" Power-pop + sitar. I think this was used in a commercial not so long ago?

13. Billie Holiday - "Autumn in New York" Oh NYC.

14. Diverse - "Jus Biz" Insane flow. How does this guy write?

15. Rick James - "Give It To Me, Baby" For obvious reasons.

16. Nolan Porter - "If I Could Only Be Sure" This is the model for my guitar playing. Can you tell I'm getting tired of writing?

17. Sonic Youth - "The Diamond Sea (radio edit)" Because if you aren't into this band, there is no way you'll sit through the 18 min studio version.

18. Kanye West - "My Way" Criminally left off of The College Dropout

19. New Order - "Temptation" Who doesn't know and love this song?

20. Telefon Tel Aviv - "What's the Use of Feet If We Haven't Got Legs?" Rapid-fire IDM from a group that doesn't get enough props.

21. Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart" See #19.

22. Junior Boys - "Birthday" Eat one, Ben Gibbard.

23. Yaz - "Situation" Heh.

24. No Doubt - "It's My Life" Because it really is very good.

25. Underground Resistance - "Knight of the Jaguar" I think this is a Detroit techno watermark, or something, but it is a killer dance song regardless of critical backing.

El-Kabong 03-07-04 05:22 PM

I'll throw my hat into the ring with some of my downloaded faves:

01) The Fixx - Saved by Zero
Somehow I missed this song in the 80's. I dont recall it at all! but when I borrowed a best of the 1980's CD from a friend, this was on it. I dont know what hold it has over me, but I really dig it.

02) Yaz - Don't Go
Classic, classic stuff.

03) Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
What better movie series to capture the feel of the 80's but Rocky? This song is one of the best things to come out of those films.

04) Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
How can you possibly go wrong with a band that makes fun of themselves? And the video was a classic.

05) Tommy Tutone - 867-5309/Jenny
The song that inspired a million middle of the night prank calls.

06) Styxx - Mr Roboto
This is a great 'turn up the car stereo and sing as loud as you can on the freeway where nobody can hear you' song.

07) Berlin - The Metro
Clearly their best song ever.

08) Beastie Boys - Fight for Your Right
Remember when Rap was fun and not full of lyrics about killing cops and slapping hoes?

09) Romeo Void - A Girl in Trouble (is a temporary thing)
Romeo Void's lesser known Big Song (and frankly the superior of the two).

10) New Order - Blue Monday
Great useage of the New Wave Clap Machine. Always worth putting into my rotation.

I'll finish up with the other 15 when I ponder some more. I want to get away from the bigger and more well known songs to the forgotten 80's.

whynotsmile 03-07-04 06:17 PM

flogging molly

drunken lullibies

Numanoid 03-08-04 10:09 AM

Re: Re: 1001 Greatest Songs to Download

Originally posted by raiders757
DEVO - She's Just a Girl - A great song by a strange, but great band. I highly recomend this song to anyone looking for that "New Wave" sound. It sounds like it belongs in a movie soundtrack. May have been ya' never know.
I am a huge DEVO fan, and there is no such DEVO song. Perhaps you mean "Girl U Want"?

Numanoid 03-08-04 11:27 AM

My collection would be decidedly '80s oriented and fairly obscure. In no particular order, and without duplicating artists (which was really tough):

1) Gary Numan - Berserker
My favorite tune of all time. Nothing but pure, oppressive wall-of-sound synth with Numan's trademark lyrics of suffocating dislocation.

2) Ultravox - The Thin Wall
Great New Romantic tune from the masters of the genre. The best lyrics ever "The sound is on, the visions move, tThe image dance starts once again. They shuffle with a bovine grace and glide in syncopation." Also, one of the coolest videos ever made.

3) a-ha - Velvet
So many wonderful a-ha songs to choose from, but I went with this. Originally recorded by Savoy (a-ha's Pal Waktaar's side project) as a great alternative rock song, this version translates beautifully to a-ha's style and Morten Harket's operatic voice. Another fantastic video, try and check it out.

4) Talk Talk - Hate
One of the great underrated bands of the '80s. This song has so many layers of drumming, I'm not even sure how many there are. Also boasts a catchy chorus vocalization which will stick in your head for days.

5) Polyrock - Romantic Me
The best New Wave song you've never heard. Simple arrangement, with that somewhat eerie, slightly "off" sound so indicative of high-quality New Wave.

6) Associates - Heart Of Glass
A brilliant cover of Blondie's disco hit, by a relatively obscure British act who never shied away from the unusual.

7) DEVO - Beautiful World
The spud boys' best tune, which is saying a lot. Now featured in a Target&#153 ad, in the true spirit of De-evolution.

8) Fun Boy Three - Our Lips Our Sealed
Not really a cover of the Go-Go's song, since Terry Hall of FB3 co-wrote the tune with Jane Wiedlin (apparently about the torrid affair they were having at the time). Hauntingly slow and downbeat, not at all like the Go-Go's version.

9) Yellow Magic Orchestra (YMO) - Cue
Terrific New Romantic style tune from Japan's great techno-pop pioneers. If you are interested in early '80s electronica, you owe it to yourself to discover YMO.

10) Yukihiro Takahashi - This Strange Obsession
YMO's frontman with two obscure New Wave guests, New Zealand's solo artist Zaine Griff and androgynous French model-turned-singer Ronny. A collaboration which pays off in spades.

11) Zaine Griff - Passionate Reply
Speaking of Zaine Griff, here's a b-side of his which itself is a cover of an Ultravox b-side(!). Manages to do the unthinkable - improve upon Ultravox's original.

12) Midge Ure - No Regrets
Ultravox's frontman's first solo hit, a cover of the Walker Brother's classic. Beautiful, soaring synth work coupled with Ure's powerful voice create an amazing soundscape.

13) Visage - The Anvil
Eschewing Visage's well-known hit "Fade To Grey" for this title track from their second, much darker, album.

14) This Mortal Coil - Song To The Siren
Hauntingly beautiful doesn't begin to describe this rendition of Tim Buckley's tune. A true classic of '80s goth.

15) Duran Duran - Hold Back The Rain
A perfect dance song, which deserved recognition over much more inferior Duran tunes ("New Moon On Monday", anyone?). Look for the remix version.

16) Human League - The Sound Of The Crowd
So hard to pick a single track from the Dare album. Frankly, I prefer the instrumental version of the album, known as "Love & Dancing" credited to The League Unlimited Orchestra.

17) John Foxx - Underpass
From Foxx's first solo album after leaving the original incarnation of Ultravox. Powerful analogue synths droning you into a weird world of mystery. Heavily influenced by:

18) The Normal - Warm Leatherette
The song that started it all. The group released only this single. Pure, minimalist electronics, inspired by J.G. Ballard's novel Crash. Probably the most influential one-and-only release of all time, inspiring a mutiltude of early '80s electronic artists.

19) Fischer-Z - So Long
Fischer-Z (actually John Watts) produced some of the finest rock music never heard in this country. This is his most famous song, a catchy, lilting, passionate melody of abandoned love.

20) Kissing The Pink - The Last Film
Dark, brooding, apacolyptic. Weird, and very, very cool.

bodomnet 03-08-04 11:31 AM

cannibal corpse - sentenced to burn

Gourmet Artist 03-08-04 05:22 PM

List of of more recent distinctive sounding metal and hardcore bands that aren't as known as they should be. Not all these songs are what I think are the best from them. Some are more of an introduction to the bands sound.

Botch - C. Thomas Howell as the Soul Man - David Knudson is one of the best guitarists on the planet and he shows off his range on this one.
Minus The Bear - Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse – More extreme guitar finger work from David Knudson, but unlike Botch this band has more of a space rock sound.
Funeral for A Friend - 10:45 Amsterdam Conversations – Mix Emo with Iron Maiden inspired melodic metal riffs and this is what you get. They’ll probably be huge once their album gets released in the US.
Devin Townsend/Ocean Machine - Funeral – Ambient Space Metal is the best way to describe the album Biomech. This is my favorite off it.
The Mad Capsule Market's - Midi Surf – Industrial Punk/Metal band. Just a fun band to listen to. Their last 2 albums were solid and they have a new one coming out this month in Japan.
Opeth – Moonlapse Vertigo – From the greatest band on the planet.
Mínus - The Long Face – Hardcore version of The Strokes.
In Flames – Clayman – Along with Dark Tranquillity this band created the Gothenburg Melodic Death Metal sound.
Testament - DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) – Dave Lombardo joins James Murphy and Chuck Billy on the album The Gathering, creating one of the best thrash albums of all time.
Theatre of Tragedy – Poppæa – From the great album Aégis. Liv Kristine sings in a beautiful operatic like soprano while accompanied with music that sounds very medieval.
Strapping Young Lad – All Hail The New Flesh – Industrial Metal at its finest off of the brilliant album City.
Meshuggah – Neurotica – This is the best song from the most brutal album ever created, Chaosphere.
Crisis - Discipline of Degradation – Karyn Crisis is truly an amazing vocalist as she goes from death metal growls to melodic singing more befitting a Cocteau Twins album, all in one song.
Dark Tranquillity – Hours Passed In Exile – Great song from one of the best Melodic Death Metal bands around.
Soilwork – Black Star Deceiver – With Devin Townsend as a big influence and producer, Soilwork soften their industrial death metal sound by adding melodic singing and melodic metal riffs. Devy even does backing vocals on this song.
Poison the Well – Torn – Great song from the band that invented Emocore.
Mastodon - March of the Fire Ants – This band is spearheaded by the brilliant drumming of Brann Dailor, who unlike in his old band, Lethargy, finally tries to make music that isn’t just about showing off technical skill.
Dimmu Borgir – Mourning Palace - Symphonic Black Metal at its best.
Element of Surprise – Anger vs. Envy - Some truly impressive bass work in this Hardcore band.
Dillinger Escape Plan - When Dogs do Bad Things – DEP soften their sound just a bit with Mike Patton (Faith No More).
Snapcase - Typecast Modulator – Great song from one of the more distinctive sounding bands in Hardcore.
Killswitch Engage - The Element of One – The masters of fusion. No one mixes genres better than this band.
Lamb of God - Take You Away – With Pantera dead and gone we need a new Pantera and this is them.
Extol - Grace for Seuccession – Like Killswitch Engage this Christian Metal band mixes in everything to their sound, but with more of a prog/tech leaning.
The Haunted – Under the Surface – Not as great as their former band At the Gates, but they still can create some amazing songs.

kurupt 03-09-04 06:17 PM

Sarah McLauchlan- I Love You: Pitch perfect in it's quietness and restraint

Coal- Stay: Probably the most well placed song in a film (Chasing Amy), it perfectly captures the hurt and heartbreak that the characters are feeling.

Blondie- The Tide Is High: No comment except that for some reason, this song never gets old.

D'Angelo- She's Always In My Hair: I'm not a big fan of covers, especially Prince covers, but D'Angelo out-Princes Prince on this one.

Jay-Z- Regrets: Jay-Z isn't always about big pimpin' and he's at his introspective best on this one.

Geto Boys- Mind Playin Tricks: One of the best rap tracks of all time. Scarface wrote this about a real life a manic depressive episode that left him in a mental institution.

Radiohead- Karma Police: It's hard to take any Radiohead track out of the context of the album, but on it's own, this is my favorite.

Guns-N-Roses- Don't Cry: I've always liked GNR ballads better than their more aggressive rock, but either way, they were a band that had so much unfullfilled promise pissed away.

Julee Cruise - Nightingale: The perfect sonic companion to a David Lynch nightmare or daydream.

Harry Nilsson- Without You: Probably one of the corniest, yet heartbreaking songs of all-time...if you think that you can kareoke this...don't...it will end up badly. Of the countless versions, the Nilsson is easily the best executed.

Alicia Keys- If I Aint Got You: Despite a vastly overrated debut, what seperates Alicia Keys from Beyonce, Ashanti, and most of the other late 90's early 2000's R&B songstresses (other than the fact that she plays an instrument and writes music - not just lyrics) is that you can actually feel her through her music. No song embodies this more than this one.

Nas- One Mic: For anyone who thinks that rap doesn't take any talent, listen to this a couple of times. Pure poetry and perfect delivery. This is every bit as socially relevant as anything by Dylan.

The Cars- My Best Friend's Girl: This song embodies everything that was good (and bad at the same time) about 80's music. Catchy as hell melodies, delivered in a completely unself-concious way.

Usher- Bedtime: While most look upon him as just a pop teenybopper, Usher is the performer that Justin Timberlake wants desperatly to be but never will.

Bob Marley/Wailers- Burnin' and Lootin': Civil disobediance and political unrest set to a classic regge riddim.

Steely Dan- Pretzle Logic: Abstract, literary, and bluesy. What the f--- are they talking about? Aging? Unfulfilled lifes? Who cares? It sounds damn good.

tofu 03-09-04 08:13 PM

1. Travis - (Baby) One More Time: Excellent remake of a crap song. I really wish that they had made this into a real single.

2. Daft Punk - One More Time: Not sure if I have a "one more time" theme going but this is a great driving tune for leaving work on a Friday

3. A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario: Even if you don't like rap, the chorus is just so damn catchy.

4. Blur - Song 2: Catchiest 2 minute song that I've ever heard.

5. Elastica - Connection: Even comatose people tap their toes to this song.

6. London Suede - Stay Together: Greatest song ever about the apocalypse.

7. Morcheeba - Trigger Hippie: I absolutely love this song. Every time I hear it, I feel like I'm melting away.

8. Mos Def - Ms Fat Booty: Rap used to be about making a story rather than talk about how much money you made. I wish that they would take it back to how it used to be.

9. Orbital - The Box: Techno's not for everybody but this song is like Beethoven wrote it. It has so many layers to it.

10. Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend: How can you not like it?

11. The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup: Ever since I watched There's Something About Mary, every time I listen to this song, I see the chorus line of guys at the rest stop with the crazy guy singing to Ben Stiller.

12. Underworld - Born Slippy: I still don't know what the guy says in the song but its just so uplifitng to me.

13. Weezer - The Sweater Song: Great song to sing along to, especially at the end where they go out of key.

14. Biz Markie - Just a Friend: My first introduction to a real rap song. Still one of my favorites.

15. Chris Isaak - Can't Do a Thing to Stop Me: I don't normally listen to crooners but Chris Isaak has the most amazing voice that I've ever heard.

16. Vow - Garbage: Their first album was the best and their first single IMO was the best as well.

17. Doves - Pounding: The song sounds just like its title.

neocheddar02 03-11-04 03:45 AM

well, in no particular order:

1. Journey-Dont stop believin-corny arena rock-a classic
2. Eagles-Hotel California-A 70's pop classic
3. Jurassic 5-Quality Control-someone metioned how they wanted rap to go back to the old days-this is my answer
4. Outkast-Rosa Parks-Classic Outkast track
5. Dave Brubeck Take 5-legendary jazz song-good times
6.Spearhead-soulshine-a positive song for the kids-catchy!
7. Incubus(ft. DJ Greyboy)-familiar-One of Incubus's best tracks-off the old spawn soundtrack
8.Sneaker Pimps-Six underground-Such an amzing song-sinister yet sexy, as cliche as that sounds
9. Blink 182-dammit(growing up)-A classic pop-punk song
10.Seatbelts(from Cowboy Bebop)-Gotta Knock a little harder-A wonderful song from the recent cowboy bebop movie-epitomizes the series-good stuff!
11.Red Hot Chili Peppers-Under the Bridge-one of RHCP best
12. queen-bohemian rhapsody-a great classic rock song-the stairway to heaven of queen
13. Dandy Warhols-Bohemian like you-the song that accompanied every movie in 2000-extremely catchy rock
14.Linkin Park-Faint-one of LP's better tracks
15. Hoobastank-crawling in the dark-one og HB's best songs-the acoustic version is good too
16. 2Pac-Starin at the world through my rearview-Samples In the Air Tonight-one of 2pacs best post-death songs
17.Phil Collins-take me home-Phil collins with Peter gabriel and sting on background vocals-you cant go wrong
18-Darude-feel the beat-a great trance song from the same person that brought you sandstorm
19.Blue oyster cult-dont fear the reaper-classic song(we need more cowbell!)
20.Rakim-Guess whos back-argueably one of the greatest living rappers, this is one of rakims best tracks
21.steam-na na hey hey(kiss him goodbye)-From remember the titans-classic soul song
22. Deltron-3030-one of my favorite rap albums-the entire album takes place in the year 3030-from most of the people that brought you Gorillaz
23.Gorillaz-clint Eastwood-good stuff
24. Talib Kweli-get by-A good message and a good song-in fact a great album
25. Daft Punk-Discovery-one of DP best-a great house song
26.Lynrd Skynrd-Sweet Home Alabama-great southern rock
27.Dave Matthews band-crush-one of DMB best songs-a great "chill song"
28.Jack Johnson-times like these-another great song to relax to.

-Sorry, i had to go over. Peace.

msdmoney 03-11-04 04:07 AM

Originally posted by tofu
8. Mos Def - Ms Fat Booty: Rap used to be about making a story rather than talk about how much money you made. I wish that they would take it back to how it used to be.
:thumbsup: for mentioning my favorite artist.

I will add some more hip hop as not much has been included and hopefully I can change some perceptions of the genre for those who have prior adversity.

1. J-Live: Them That's Not - A triumph of both concept, delivery and content. J-Live discusses a "get rich quick" rapper much akin to most of the artists, rap or other, you see on mtv or hear on the radio all the time. His flow increases and decreases with the rise and fall of the rapper in the story. Also my second favorite rapper.

2. Common: Used to love H.E.R. - An extended metaphor, see if you can guess it before he divulges it in the last line of the last verse. Makes the song all come together in a way not always immediately apparent on a casual listen.

3. Cunninlyguists feat. Masta Ace: Seasons - A time line of hip hops rise and decline likened to the changing of the seasons spring-winter. You may not get many/most of the references if you aren't a hip hop fan, but you should be able to follow the ideas.

4. Blackstar (Mos Def and Talib Kweli): Thieves in the Night - Another comment on the industry and so much more. Mos delivers one of the best verses ever given in hip hop IMO.

5. Nas: Halftime - Nas defines the term flow in this song. Used to the slowed, dumbed down rhyme structure of most rap with a single rhyming word each line? Nas alliterates, rhymes three words in a row, and uses every poetic trick in the book. In fact you could pick just about any song from his first album "Illmatic" considered one of the top rap albums of all time, to illustrate this.

6. Zion I feat. The Grouch: Silly Puddy - Spiritual song with an almost techno beat, very catchy, especially the intro.

7. J-Live: The Fourth Third - J-live talking about a relationship that didn't work out. If you wanna hear a rapper capable of expressing deeper and more meaningful emotions and phrases than the typical, "I love you baby, wanna buy you nice things girl, will you be my girlfriend, etc" a la P. Diddy, this song is for you.

More songs I am running out of time for descriptions:

8. J-Live: Epilogue
9. Royce 5'9": Boom - decent song but had to have a Primo beat, my favorite producer
10. Slug: The River - Atmosphere/Slug is getting mainstream
11. Reflection Eternal: For Women
12. Binary Star: Honest Expression
13. Blackalicious: Make you feel that way

Darkfriend 03-11-04 10:59 AM

Cool thread :up:

I got a mish mash of different styles... In no particular order:

1- Danzig: Dirty Black Summer

2- Al Green: Let's stay together

3- Deep Purple : Child in Time

4-Van Morrison: Into the Mystic

5-KISS: Ladie's room

6-Bruce Springsteen: Prove it all night

7-AC/DC: You shook me all night long

8-Cranberries: Linger

9-Rollins Band: Starve

10-Cheap Trick: Surrender

11-Bob Seger: Against the wind

12-Foreigner: Hot blooded

13-The Cult: Sweet soul sister

14-Frank Sinatra: Fly me to the moon

15-Scorpions: Holiday

16-White Zombie: Thunder Kiss '65

17-Nat King Cole: Smile

18-Pearl Jam: Better man

19-Stevie Ray Vaughn: Voodoo Child

20-Whitesnake: Slide it in

21-Rush: Red Barchetta

22-Ronnie James Dio: Rainbow in the Dark

23-Mighty mighty Bosstones: The impression that I get

24-Rolling Stones: Wild Horses

25-Billy Joel: Piano man

bullwinkle 03-11-04 08:47 PM

The Cardigans - Higher. (a great song. absolutely nothing like "Lovefool". very calm and soothing.

Coldplay - Green Eyes. (possibly my favorite Coldplay song. Sentimental, simple, and beautiful.

Led Zeppelin - Achilles' Last Stand. (epic rock!!!!)

Robbie Williams - She's the One/Better Man (Both very good ballads.)

Annie Lennox - Into the West (powerful, touching song that caps off the incredible "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.)

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees (my favorite Radiohead song. Emotionally draining.)

Fiona Apple - Shadowboxer (sultry and deep)

Eva Cassidy - Songbird (what a beautiful voice! very sad that she passed away recently)

Aimee Mann - Save Me / Wise Up (both from the film "Magnolia", classic songs that are catchy and moving.)

--That's it for now because I have run out of adjectives......

einTier 03-22-04 02:00 AM

Re: Re: 1001 Greatest Songs to Download

Originally posted by raiders757
Is that 25 per post? Can we contribute more than one post? I can think of 100's of songs to download.Well that's my 25, and if the thread starter lets me, I will add more, if nobody else does. We have a long way to go to get to a 1000 songs. Lets get going people.
Wow. Thread necromancy.

This thread just died when I posted it. Sank like a rock and I totally forgot about it. I'd probably like to change my list, but what the hell, I'll just post another. Seeing as how unpopular the thread was to begin with, just forget the rules and feel free to put down anything you think is worth downloading.

I know I'll be downloading everything off this page.

Toad 03-23-04 10:28 AM

These are songs that most people probably already have, and if they don't – they should. Yes, some of these are "the hits" from some of the artists, but that doesn't mean they're worthless. These songs play like a soundtrack to 20-30-somethings alike. They are in no order at all.

1. Cars - Drive
2. Cure - Close to Me
3. A-ha - Take on Me
4. Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl (clichéd 80’s song, that’s why I worship it)
5. Toto – Africa (how can you compete with a line such as “sure as Kilimanjaro rises like an empress above the Sarangetti” while trying to make it rhyme??)
6. Bruce Hornsby – Mandolin Rain (beautiful instruments in a song about instruments)
7. Dexy's Midnight Riders - Come on Eileen
8. CCR - Fortunate Son
9. Jackson Browne - Running on Empty (one of the greatest songs ever ;))
10. Tears for Fears - Power (off "Elemental" - one of the most underrated albums ever, you owe it to yourself to check this and other songs out such as “Goodnight Song”)
11. Tears for Fears – Sketches of Pain (it’s really just Roland Orzabal, the other dude left at this point, great song with some Latino flavor toward the end. This song and the one above, from 2 different albums, don’t sound like the same 80’s band that made “shout”, etc. Give them a try.)
12. Genesis - Throwing it All Away (good for the broken-hearted and spiteful alike)
13. Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
14. Harry Nilsson - Everybody's Talkin
15. Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
16. Eagles - Take it Easy (written mostly by Jackson Browne, but made a classic by the Eagles)
17. Badly Drawn Boy - Silent Sigh
18. Wilco - Jesus, etc. (or take your pick from Yankee, Hotel, Foxtrot)
19. Beach Boys - Heroes and Villians (while "I Get Around is described above as "americana" this song is anti-americana yet contains the amazing harmonies of their best songs)
20. Jimmy Buffett - Havana Daydreamin (one of my favorite songs ever)
21. Jimmy Buffett – Biloxi (also a classic Buffet tune)
22. Coldplay - The One I Love (I think its unreleased for some strange reason)
23. Counting Crows - Have you Seen Me Lately (acoustic live)
24. Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites
25. Bob Dylan - Buckets of Rain
26. Traveling Wilburys - End of the Line (can’t beat Dylan, Orbison, Petty, Harrison and Lynne)
27. Otis Day & the Knights - Shout (if you've seen Animal House, this is a must)
28. Beatles - We Can Work it Out
29. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill (his best song IMO)
30. Radiohead - Ideoteque (simply amazing; one of my top 2 Radiohead tunes)
31. Hall & Oates - One on One
32. Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me
33. Hootie & the Blowfish - Not Even the Trees (give it a listen you won't regret it)
34. Jellyfish - can't pick just one (get anything from "Bellybutton")
35. Led Zeppelin - Tangerine
36. Live – TBD (one of the best songs from one of the best albums, “Throwing Copper”)
37. Loggins and Mecina - Danny's Song
38. Dave Matthews Band - #41
39. Sarah McLachlan - Witness (pretty haunting stuff)
40. Mike & the Mechanics - Taken In
41. Rolling Stones - Sympathy with the Devil
42. Outkast - Growing Old (my favorite Outkast song with a great beat)
43. Tom Petty - Feel A Whole Lot Better (cover, great though)
44. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop (song is good, the video is one of the best)
45. Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (if you’ve ever partied, you know the feeling)
46. Toad the wet Sprocket - Crowing
47. Toad the wet Sprocket - I Will Not Take these Things for Granted
48. Toad the wet Sprocket - P.S.
49. Toad the wet Sprocket - Crazy Life
50. Glen Phillips - Professional Victim (his whole album is great, just threw one song up here)
51. The Who - Baba O'Reily (or whatever its called - great one).
52. Poison – Fallen Angel (yes, Poison)
53. Rod Stewart – Maggie May
54-55. Bruce Springsteen – I’m on Fire or Secret Garden (take your pick)
56. Marc Cohn – Walking in Memphis

Ok sorry these are just some cuts off of my CD list. Many more to come. Treat yourself to these if you don't know of them. However I am in no way supportive of illegal downloads, so go to I-Tunes to do it. ;)

Amator 03-26-04 06:17 AM

01. Dashboard Confessional - Screaming Infidelities
02. Flogging Molly - What's Left of the Flag
03. Civil War(PBS Film Soundtrack) - The Ashokan Farewell
04. Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah
05. Kings of Convenience - Winning a Battle, Losing a War
06. Moxy Fruvous - The Drinking Song
07. Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
08. Alison Krauss - Baby of Mine
09. Dan Bern - Jerusalem
10. John Mayer - Comfortable
11. Jeff Tweedy - Down in a Willow Garden