Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any suggestions for a Hurricane Party themed CD

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got a prety good sized Hurricane coming our way, here in southeastern Virginia. I have done everything I need to do to ride the storm out, but make a good Hurricane themed CD.

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions to help me out. Even though I mostly listen to Hard Rock/ Metal music, and Jazz, I'm open to any suggestion from any kind of music genre.

So far, all I can think of is, Ridein' the Storm Out(Reo Speedwagon), Riders on the Storm(the Doors), Rock You Like A Hurricane(Scorpions), Run To the Hills(Iron Maiden), and Run For Cover(Quiet Riot).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Raiders757
Old 09-17-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
"Have You Ever Seen The Rain" - CCR
"Who'll Stop The Rain" - CCR
"Walking In A Hurricane" - John Fogerty
"Stormy Monday" - Allman Brothers
"Feels Like Rain" - Buddy Guy
"The Sky Is Crying" - SRV
"Texas Flood" - SRV
"It's Raining Again" - Supertramp
"Rain" - The Beatles
"Flood" - Jars Of Clay
Old 09-17-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
"After the Rain" -- Nelson

"Blowin in the Wind"-- Bob Dylan

"When Will it Rain" -- Jackyl

"Blame it on the Rain" -- Milli Vanilli
Old 09-17-03, 06:33 PM

A Mighty Wind - The Folksmen

Like a Hurricane - Neil Young
Old 09-17-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played Bjork's "Isobel" during my radio show today, but that is hardly party music.
Old 09-17-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here Comes The Rain Again - Eurythmics
Stormy Weather - Frank Sinatra, and many others
You Spin Me 'Round - Dead Or Alive
Old 09-17-03, 10:49 PM

Thanks!!

These are all great suggestions !

Some of which I can't beleave I didn't even think of!!!

Hey Fallow where you at? Hang in there, if your in harms way.
Old 09-17-03, 11:00 PM

That dang Bjork song has been in my head all day. Ugh.
Old 09-17-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Hurricane - Bob Dylan
Old 09-18-03, 12:52 AM

I'm only happy when it rains - Garbage

Storm - North Mississippi Allstars
Old 09-18-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why Does It Always Rain On Me - Travis
Old 09-18-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raiders757
Hey Fallow where you at? Hang in there, if your in harms way.
Well, I'm originally from Newport News, but right now I'm at college - an hour away from both DC and Richmond. They're closing school from 12:30 today until Monday at 8; but I think it's all a bunch of bombast. I really can't imagine us getting more than some wind and rain. I'm not really complaining, but it is getting rather silly.

Where are you in the 757? Hopefully not in the path of the storm...
Old 09-18-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Summerwind - Sinatra
Stormy Weather - Pixies

and the ultimate hurricane song....

RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD
Old 09-18-03, 09:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Madness "Our House in the middle of the street"
Old 09-18-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Rain Song - Led Zep
Looks Like Rain - Grateful Dead
Old 09-18-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Rain Rain Rain - Bettie Serveert

Purple Rain - Prince

It Can't Rain All the Time - forgot who sings it, but it's on The Crow soundtrack

Last edited by Meatpants; 09-18-03 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:48 PM

Fallow - "Where are you in the 757? Hopefully not in the path of the storm..."

Sorrey to take so long to reply, but I lost my power untill today, a few hours short of being 8 days with no electricity. I'm in Newport News. The storm rocked this area, but when all was said and done, I came out pretty lucky. No trees landed on my house, but for many others that was not the case.

I hope none of your family, or friends, here in Newport News, were hurt or dissplaced by the storm. If they need anything, I m willing to help. Just let me know.

A little over a week without power can take it's toll on you mentaly. I think I was going a little looney. Cold Showers(Brrrrr...) every day got me sick, so that wasn't very fun. My main source of entertainment was my police scanner, which gave me a good idea of just how many no good bastards we have around here. Not only did I have to get my yard clean, and help my nieghbors, I had to get up every day, and go to the Anheuser Busch (Makers of Bud) plant in Williamsburg every day to clear all the trees that fell there. (For the first time in 30 years they had to stop thier lines because of the Hurricain. They lost around 20,000 gallons of beer.) Clearing big trees, and comeing home to no power sucked, but I had to keep myself in line, and realize it is selfish of me to complain and be impatient, considering the wellfare of others, who didn't have as much luck as I did

I have a friend who's parents lost thier home, due to a tree cutting it clean in two, all the way down to the foundation. I spent a lot of my childhood in, and around this home, so it was a very devistating sight. It will be torn down this Sat., and I'm sure it will bring a tear to my eye if I go, and watch it. I helped them move what they could salvage out, yesterday. I never thought in my life, I would be passing a stove, through my childehood best friends bedroom window. Now that's something you just don't see to much of, but the window was the only way to get anything out. Yesterday was a sad day indeed. A lot of memories we shared going through the rubble.

I also have another friend who lost his new Tahoe to a crushing blow by a tree, and know a few people who lost thier homes to flooding. I was indeed lucky, and just ruffed it with no generator or anything. My house looks like a damn camp site. flashlights, bateries, candles, cans, chips, and all sorts of other survival needs are strone aboute. The garbage man finally got here yesterday(before i went to help my friend), and I cheered him. At that point I didn't care about power, I wanted my trash gone, because I was haveing a back-up in my house(chip bags, beer + Soda cans, Ice bags, paper plates etc.., like I said it looks like a camp site). I've gotten so used to not haveing power, that it almost seems a little strange haveing it back. I've learned to entertain myself, and live in a different way. Just useing the internet today, seems new to me.

I'm just glad I was prepared, even though I never thought it would be this bad. It was kind of funny, the few gas stations that had power got mobbed, by those who were unprepared, and a few fights broke out. Ice, Water, Budwieser Beer or any product made by A.B. for that matter, were instant gold, as they flew off the shelves faster than you can blink. Generators went like hotcakes, bought by those to weak to rough it out with no power. By the end of the week, I wanted to pour sugar in all thier gas tanks. Power Envy can make you think evil thoughts.

I'm glad to get my power back, but the excitement has been subdued, by learning, a very young, and dear friend, was murdered the other night. He was going to turn 20 this Sunday. His name was Michael Snapp, and he was only 19. He had such a bright futare ahread of him. God rest his soul. I will miss him, as many others will, as well. He was such a good person, and his death has made all of what has happened this week, seem very small, and insignificant.

This past week has been a very humbleing exspearience(sp?), and has changed my outlook on a lot of things. I will allways remember, that no matter how bad things get, they can allways get worse. Life will get back to normal around here, and it will be a week I wish to forget, but never will.

Sorrey to have rambled on and on, but I had to get it all out of my system a little.

Also thanks to all who replied. The power cutt out as I was making the CD. I will finnish it with, all of your great ideas, and once again, thank you all.
Old 09-27-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I'm glad to here that you are in good health and all is well (relative I suppose)

Sorry to here about your friend, very sad. My thoughts are with you.

---------------------

In case you do make that CD, you can't make a hurricane CD with this song. Enjoy.

A great fun song from a band nobody has heard of

Cowboy Mouth - Hurricane Party

Check it out, they are a fun band!

Last edited by db27; 09-27-03 at 05:50 PM.