DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Billy Talent (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/318328-billy-talent.html)

mdc3000 09-17-03 01:17 AM

Billy Talent

Hey All,

So I picked up the debut album from Canadian Rock outfit BILLY TALENT which came out today. I've been enjoying the single TRY HONESTY so I decided to check out the album... this is one of the best debut rock albums I've heard in recent memory. There is not a single bad song on here...every song rocks, the energy is insane... I am loving the shit out of this album (sadly means I've only given the APC record a single listen...because this billy talent album is ruling).

If you don't know who these guys are, check out www.billytalent.com where you can hear some audio clips. If you're into stuff like Hives/Vines/Stripes/Queens than I think you may like them...and even if not, you still might like them. My current favourite cuts are "living in the shadows" "line & sinker" "Standing in the rain" and the single "try honesty"... I was skeptical, but this album is a total winner... and a steal for the $10 bucks CDN it cost me.

MATT

cultshock 09-18-03 05:06 PM

Hmmm, I like the song "Try Honesty" alot, so I might just have to pick up the album. Thanks for the info. The Edge radio station (in Toronto) is hyping them up pretty good (it problem helps that a member of Billy Talent is a station employee).

And bonus points for anyone who knows where the band got their name from. ;)

FatTony 09-18-03 05:43 PM

I picked this up as well, but I have been way too busy listening to the new Thursday album to even give this a spin. But I've already heard a good chunk of the Billy Talent album anyway.

Question: Is the band's name taken from a movie?

cultshock 09-18-03 08:22 PM

Originally posted by FatTony
Yep.
Spoiler:
They are named after a character from the Canadian punk faux documentary "Hard Core Logo"
Great film BTW.

Thrush 09-19-03 01:56 AM

Originally posted by FatTony
I picked this up as well, but I have been way too busy listening to the new Thursday album to even give this a spin. But I've already heard a good chunk of the Billy Talent album anyway.

Not to hijack thread but, How is the new Thursday album?

Abe. 01-26-08 06:54 AM

Has anyone else checked out the new live album released on Tuesday?

It's quite good. Too bad they broke up already.

mdc3000 01-26-08 09:58 AM

Um, Billy Talent didn't break up.

lcnickell 01-26-08 12:39 PM

i remember hearing this band getting hype and way too much airplay on Sirius.

saw them at reading and leeds, and i guess they were glad Smashing punpkins were on the bill as well, or they'd have been the worse band each day. playing to a track on stage. as guitar and backing vocals weren't matching.

generic wannabe pop punk , i think if that's even your thing, there's many bands doing it better.

Howiefan 01-26-08 01:16 PM

I like them but I go to school with the lead singer's brother who's a total asshole and everytime I listen to the band, I think of that little bitch (which is stupid but I can't help it lol).

Surrender is a great song though.

Abe. 01-26-08 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Um, Billy Talent didn't break up.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they did break up... weird.