DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Throwing Muses...Hunkpapa...good place to start? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/318031-throwing-muses-hunkpapa-good-place-start.html)

dolphinboy 09-15-03 09:19 PM

Throwing Muses...Hunkpapa...good place to start?

I was reading something online about Throwing Muses and their history, who's been in the band, what other bands have come out of them, and I've liked a lot of that music.

Somehow, I never really heard much, or any, of the Muses.

I went to Amazon and there were quite a few cds to choose from. I really can't afford to buy 10 cds just because I'm curious, but I do want to buy at least one (good reason for file sharing).

The 30 second clips at Amazon didn't really help much, but I felt like Hunkpapa sounded the best or closest to what I know I already like.

Is that a good place to start? Is that even a good album? Is it more like the rest of their music or is it a departure from the rest of it?

Can I get a little help please? Maybe a little info about your favorite Throwing Muses albums and if you think Hunkpapa is a good place for me to start. Zias is open till midnight. Thanks! :)

claweight 09-15-03 10:12 PM

to tell you the truth, i really like 'the real ramona' album the best. there are quite a few memorable songs on that one. of course tanya donnelly (later to move onto the breeders and then belly) has a couple of really nice songs as well. i can't say really say if 'hunkpapa' is all that good compared to this album, but that's my personal preference. another album i liked was 'red heaven'. i got the japanese import which has about 10 extra tracks recorded live. 'furious' is such a kick-ass song!

all this talk about throwing muses makes me want to listen to them again!

good luck and enjoy!

dolphinboy 09-15-03 10:44 PM

Originally posted by claweight
to tell you the truth, i really like 'the real ramona' album the best. there are quite a few memorable songs on that one. of course tanya donnelly (later to move onto the breeders and then belly) has a couple of really nice songs as well. i can't say really say if 'hunkpapa' is all that good compared to this album, but that's my personal preference. another album i liked was 'red heaven'. i got the japanese import which has about 10 extra tracks recorded live. 'furious' is such a kick-ass song!

all this talk about throwing muses makes me want to listen to them again!

good luck and enjoy!

The only complete song from them that I've heard (that I know of) is Dizzy from Hunkpapa. I LOVE IT!

That's not Tanya, though, right?

illennium 09-16-03 08:36 AM

The best place to start is The Real Ramona. That's a great album, especially the first three tracks.

Hiro11 09-16-03 11:21 AM

I like their first album best... Real Ramona and University definitely have their moments.

Jaymole 09-16-03 04:27 PM

University is my favorite album overall, Hunkpapa comes in second. I find the Real Ramona to be more hit & miss than the others although it has some excellent songs. I would say start at Hunkpapa and if you like it then move forward through the years.

dglaser6 09-17-03 05:18 PM

i'd also start with real ramona, then maybe either university or red heaven.