Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Who should be inducted? (multiple choices allowed)
George Harrison
57.75%
Prince
43.66%
John Mellencamp
21.13%
Jackson Browne
16.90%
Traffic
15.49%
Black Sabbath
56.34%
Lynyrd Skynyrd
36.62%
Bob Seger
19.72%
ZZ Top
26.76%
None of the above / Other (Sex Pistols, Gram Parsons, Patti Smith, the Dells, the "5" Royales, or the Stooges)
18.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

2004 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees Set

Old 09-13-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Former Beatle George Harrison, Prince, John Mellencamp and Jackson Browne are among the nominees on the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot.

Harrison, who died of cancer in November 2001, is already in the rock hall as a member of the Beatles. Former bandmates John Lennon and Paul McCartney preceded him for their solo work. Both Harrison and Mellencamp are former Billboard Century Award honorees.

Previous nominees back for another try include the Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gram Parsons and Patti Smith. Other nominees include the Dells, the "5" Royales, Bob Seger, the Stooges, Traffic and ZZ Top.

Ballots were mailed this week to voting members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.

Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released. The inductees likely will be announced in December.
Old 09-13-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. Stooges
2. Sabbath
3. Harrison
4. Mellencamp
5. Prince
6. Skynyrd
Old 09-13-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Obviously I realize we could pick all ten options at the top, but how many are inducted to the HOF each year?

Is it six like Brain Stew selected..?
Old 09-13-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last year it was The Righteous Brothers, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, The Clash, AC/DC, and The Police.

So, I guess it's 5. Oh well. Stooges still need to be inducted!
Old 09-13-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

question, are bands like rush and deep purple allowed to be nominated this year? (they've been in the running, but haven't made it yet)
Old 09-13-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No KISS, no Deep Purple, no Ted Nugent, no Rush?

No credibility. Rock and Roll Hall Of SHAM.
Old 09-13-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still no Dick Dale
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's just what we need, Ted Nugent . I thought you had to do more than put out a few decent songs to get into the Hall of Fame.

Although I think KISS have run out of a lot steam, I think they have been pretty influencial in their work.

Deep Purple is very debatable. Other than Smoke On the Water, what hits do they have?

Isn't Rush prog rock? I don't think they really put prog in the hall.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B5Erik
No KISS, no Deep Purple, no Ted Nugent, no Rush?

No credibility. Rock and Roll Hall Of SHAM.
Yup took the words right out of my mouth.. what a bunch of crap!
Old 09-14-03, 07:26 AM
Banned

What happened to Van Halen?!
I thought this was the year they got nominated.
Old 09-14-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brain Stew
That's just what we need, Ted Nugent . I thought you had to do more than put out a few decent songs to get into the Hall of Fame.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw Harrison nominated as a solo act.
Old 09-14-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jason
That's exactly what I thought when I saw Harrison nominated as a solo act.
True.

Even though George and Ringo's solo work is spotty at best, they will probably be inducted as solo artists because of their Beatle work.
Old 09-14-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brain Stew
True.

Even though George and Ringo's solo work is spotty at best, they will probably be inducted as solo artists because of their Beatle work.
I'm sure they both will too, and I didn't mean that Harrison's solo work bad, just that except for a few decent songs (my sweet lord, etc) he didn't exactly change the world or anything.

Ringo being inducted for his solo work will be a complete joke, however.
Old 09-14-03, 01:01 PM

B5Erik - "No credibility. Rock and Roll Hall Of SHAM."

I've always felt that way about that place.
It should be called the Pop music hall of fame. There are bands in there, that are not even considered Rock -n- Roll music. I love it that the Sex Pistols turned them down, by saying they would never accept an invitation to it. Sid also discredited them, by pointing out that one of thier displays was a fake. Even though the Sex Pistols are not in there, the RnRHOF has a display which claims to be the original lyrics penned for a song by the Pistols. Sid himself aid that they were not even his, or his writeing, yet the RnRHOF still kept em' on display denying what Sid said, saying thier sources were right. Now how could they be right, if the man himself said they were fake?

Brain Stew - "Deep Purple is very debatable. Other than Smoke On the Water, what hits do they have?"

Rock -n- Roll music is not about "hits", crapy Pop music is about hits. Deep Purple have done more for rock music, than nominee Prince have. Christ!! Prince isn't even Rock music, he shouldn't even be nominated, not unless they change the name to Pop Music Hall of Fame like I said before. Deep Purple have more than one "hit" if that's what you want to call it. Woman From Tokyo, Hush, Knockin' At Your Back Door, Perfect Straigers, Highway Star, and Space Truckin' are classic rock/hard rock songs. DP has influenced a lot of bands, and Ritchie Blackmoore is considered a guitar God. They should have already been in the damn place.

Brain Stew - "Isn't Rush prog rock? I don't think they really put prog in the hall."

Prog Rock stands for Progresive Rock. I see no reason why Prog Rock would not be addmitted, when they allow R&B and rap which is not even rock music into the HOF . Rush belong in the RnRHOF, but I don't think the RnrHOF deserves em'. If Rush should not qualify then niether should Prince. He is a R&B/Pop/Soul/funk singer, and has nothing to do with the modern definition of real Rock music. I'm not meaning to pick on Prince, he does have a lot of talent, but he is not a rock musician. His music is not Rock -n- Roll. If Rush doesn't belong, then neither does Run DMC's cover of Walk this Way, which beat out the real(and way better) version, to be part of thier B.S. all time greastest rock songs list, they made a long time ago. Rap music does not belong in a RnRHOF, once again, rap is in no way Rock music. So if Rap can be in it, then Prog Rock can be in it.

Sorrey to ramble, and I don't mean to come across harsh in any way. I just wish people wouldn't give credit to these stupid places like the RnRHOF, and all those fake award shows. For "REAL" musicians, none of that B.S. means anything to them. It's made for cheesy Pop stars and thier sheeply fans. I just wish the name would be changed, as to not discredit the good name of Rock music. I'll say it again, it is the Pop Music Hall of Fame, and i demand they change thier name.

That being said, everyone, but Prince should go into the RnRHOF. If they change the name to the Pop HOF, then only Prince should be nominated.
Old 09-14-03, 01:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by wm lopez
What happened to Van Halen?!
I thought this was the year they got nominated.
My understanding is that you have to have been in the business for 25 years. Although Van Halen commenced mid-70s they haven't really done anything for a few years - so maybe people are just waiting to see if the band still exists.
Old 09-14-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if they were technically a terrible band, Johnny Rotten's an idiot and we all know what happened to Sid, for their sheer impact on rock and roll the Sex Pistols have to be inducted eventually. But I'm sure the Hall will never do that. Hell, I'd watch just to see Johnny Rotten's reaction.
Old 09-14-03, 04:20 PM
Banned

Isn't Sabbath demanding to be removed from consideration again?
Old 09-15-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as long as the creaters of Heavy Music (Black Sabbath) aren't in the Hall...........IMO it will always be a joke.
Old 09-15-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ALICE COOPER ... until he/they are nominated , there is no credibility whatsoever

agree with Kiss, Nuge and Deep Purple.

Sabbath is the best this year
Old 09-15-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by raiders757
Rock -n- Roll music is not about "hits", crapy Pop music is about hits. Deep Purple have done more for rock music, than nominee Prince have. Christ!! Prince isn't even Rock music, he shouldn't even be nominated, not unless they change the name to Pop Music Hall of Fame like I said before.

Deep Purple more influential than Prince?

*ack, gasp, ack*

Oh my god, there are no words . . .
Old 09-15-03, 04:43 PM

I guess it will never happen but Gram Parsons for sure needs to be there. A member of The Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers, Benefactor of Emmylou Harris.

As a solo act, a main founder of country-rock that influenced The Eagles, Jackson Browne, the Cal rock sound, the list goes on.

But alas most people say Gram Who?
Old 09-15-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by demonio
as long as the creaters of Heavy Music (Black Sabbath) aren't in the Hall...........IMO it will always be a joke.
i think led zeppelin was a little more influential in the creation of Heavy Music than Black Sabbath.
Old 09-15-03, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by grunter

Deep Purple more influential than Prince?

*ack, gasp, ack*

Oh my god, there are no words . . .
Note the words "have done more for Rock n Roll music", Prince is not Rock n Roll, so ack,gasp,ack all you want.

I'm not big on the genre of music that Prince plays, although he does have some good funky songs that I don't mind hearing. He's just NOT Rock n Roll. He has influenced a lot of rap, r&b, and pop artist's, and even a few Rock n Roll bands, but that in no way means he is Rock n Roll.

When it comes to Rock music, NOT pop music, Deep Purple, and Ritchie Blacmoore have influenced a lot more Rock bands than Prince ever did, and ever will.

If you don't like DP, that's fine with me, but do not even try to discredit the fact of thier influeince on "TRUE" Rock n Roll and Hard Rock/Metal music. The list of bands is very long, just as Prince's list of pop he influenced would be rather long also. Pop is not Rock n Roll!!!

Last edited by raiders757; 09-15-03 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deep Purple is one of the most influencial bands in music period, not just Hard Rock or Metal.
Old 09-15-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still say induct Alice Cooper now, he / they have influenced everyone from Kiss to David Bowie (sure he was around for just as long but even Bowie credits Alice to opening the doors for theatrics) to Rob Zombie. Most every post 70's performer owes a little credit to Alice.

Last edited by cactusoly; 09-15-03 at 07:41 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.