Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Cash Songs?!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Your Favorite Cash Songs?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tennessee Flat-top Box

It's funny, but a while ago I bought Columbia Records (something or other) that had a collection of country songs from 1950's through the 1970's. I bought it for such hits as Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton, The Ballad of Jed Clampett by such and such, Flowers on the Wall by The Statler Brothers, and A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash (I had never heard the song before, and thought that since it was packed in there with songs I did know, it would be good to know Johnny Cash's sole Top 10 hit on the Hot 100 chart), but I got a real treat when I heard Tennessee Flat-Top Box. For a long while, I didn't know it was Johnny Cash because I never had a chance to look at the disc (it was in my car CD player). When I finally did remember to take the disc out to look, I saw it was by Cash, and at that point, I had never really listened to the man before. Of course, I've heard Ring of Fire and I Walk The Line, but only on the radio, and while I thought they were good songs, it wasn't enough for me to go get a Johnny Cash album. But I enjoyed A Boy Named Sue and absolutely loved Flat-top Box, so I will buy the next big compilation that I'm sure is on the rise since his recent death. The next compilation should include the covers everyone on this thread has mentioned.
Old 09-20-03, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fave would have to be Sunday Morning Coming down. Cash paints such a vivid landscape with that song. You can almost actually see him getting up,drinking, and walking down the streets. The visual images from that song are incredible, as he describes everything that is going on around him. Other mentions, Ring of Fire, Wanted Man, and Hurt.