DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   What is you guys problem w/ Linkin Park (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/316246-what-you-guys-problem-w-linkin-park.html)

gmal2003 09-07-03 02:46 PM

What is you guys problem w/ Linkin Park

On most of the post I read which discuss Linkin Park, they are usually trashed. My question is what is it you do or dont like about LP. Personally i think they are one of the best bands to emerge into music recently. Their chemistry is quite amazing. One theory I have with some who do not like them is simple, they are mainstream and sell lots of albums. Most people on this site like to trash artists that have had recent popularity and in their attempt to reflect a music oppinion that is unique, raw, and non-commercial they bash popular bands and praise underground music with low quality and a small fanbase (or an underground cult following) . I realize that this isnt the case with all who dislike LP or other popular groups but I do believe that many in this forum do this.

The Bus 09-07-03 02:59 PM

Well, I agree with you with the 'mainstream' opinion -- if we had had a thread on the Hybrid Theory EP people would be all over these fellas.

The problem is not so much mainstreaming as overexposure. Who likes Macy Gray now? She was quite talented but putting her music in everything (Spider-man? C'mon...) was not such a good idea.

I saw Linkin park live spring of 2001, well before they've reached their current swell of popularity, and I think they're ok. But I've heard their music so much, it quickly wore out on me. I don't think they have the sort of lasting appeal (as a band) that will make them relevant in 5 years.

But, time will tell.

BTW, the show I saw had Alien Ant Farm (who was OK) and Taproot, who was the second worst band I've ever seen live.

fallow 09-07-03 03:13 PM

Most of what I listen to is independent, underground, what have you, but I like a fair share of pop music. I think the real problem is that Linkin Park is tepid and lifeless. Their singer is cliche & boring, their lyrics are altogether unprofound, and their instrumentation is over-rated (re: many more underground acts that are doing much more interesting things with electronics and live instruments). I criticize them because people vomit on their own genitalia about a second-rate band that landed itself on a major, and thus, gets absurd amounts of airplay.

evenflow 09-07-03 03:22 PM

They are devil worshippers and I don't get down with bands like that.

Joshua 09-07-03 03:25 PM

Personally i think they are one of the best bands to emerge into music recently.
Here, here. I don't know why people have such a problem with them. They're the only band MTV plays that I listen to. Why? Because their songs have great melodies, are fueled by raw emotions, and contain mix rock and rap that is better than anyone I've heard (with maybe the exception early Rage). I think a lot people hate them just because they get so much radio/airplay. Judge them on their music, not on their overexposure. Sure their songs aren't "deep," but for pure energy and emotion, it's hard to beat LP. As for lasting appeal, they've released 2 successful original albums which is pretty good in this day and age when the labels/mtv are more interested in the next new "15 minute" cash cow instead of supporting and developing talent. My 2 cents.

gmal2003 09-07-03 03:27 PM

Fair observation, fallow, many would agree with your oppinion. Since you mentioned that some bands are doing what LP does but better I would like to know the name of these bands. I ask as both a challenge to your statement but also as a possibility of being enlightened to a group who does what I like to hear but better than I've heard it.

(I dont know how to post one of those laughing smiley faces so someone do it for me for evenflow's post so that he can feel better about his life)

fallow 09-07-03 04:20 PM

Originally posted by gmal2003
Fair observation, fallow, many would agree with your oppinion. Since you mentioned that some bands are doing what LP does but better I would like to know the name of these bands. I ask as both a challenge to your statement but also as a possibility of being enlightened to a group who does what I like to hear but better than I've heard it.

(I dont know how to post one of those laughing smiley faces so someone do it for me for evenflow's post so that he can feel better about his life)

I don't know of many bands that are doing the "same" thing as Linkin Park (as I tend to avoid a band like that - their combination is a recipe for failure as far as I'm concerned). Bands that do better work w/ electronics and live instrumentation:

The Notwist: go buy Neon Golden and be blown away.
Xiu Xiu: you'd probably hate this, but it's wholly original.
Manitoba
TV on the Radio: Peter Gabriel era Genesis...closest approximation I could come up with.
Broken Social Scene

among others. As I said, if you are looking for LP: Strikes Back, don't check out these bands. But they all combine a wonderful level pop immediacy and electronic know-how/experimentation - the same 2 things that Linkin Park tries (minus the pitiful attempts at hip-hop). Well, except for maybe Xiu Xiu - more like pop melodies thrown into a meat grinder.

And I think you guys are missing a very particular point. No one here is mad that Linkin Park is on the radio or signed to a major. It's annoying that wonderful music is made and ignored as esoteric/pretentious while carp is played ad nauseum and passed off as revolutionary. Dig around.

Ergyu 09-07-03 04:25 PM

I don't like them because they suck. Not because they are popular, or because they have catchy songs, but because they SUCK. No offense to the folks who like em, everyone has their opinion, and mine is that they present a tired formula to their audience. They are anything BUT innovative, they either lack or pretend to lack any amount of musical talent other than creating little beeps and playing the same damn 3 chords over and over again in every song. It's gotten to the point where I can't tall the songs apart because they all sound the same. It's just bland, repetitive, well, crap.

Maybe if they didn't have everyone in the media kissing their ass, begging them to be on the cover of their pop magazine, I wouldn't have such a problem. But I'm bombarded with this constant stream of crap they spew forth through radio/tv/print that I'm completely SICK of them.

See, I'm relegated to listening to the radio at work, which would be ok if they weren't forced to play 3 goddamn Linkin Park songs an hour. It's left me a bit sour.

They make catchy songs, I'll give em that, but it's just overproduced, overpriced, pop music. They're lyrics are boring and emotionLESS, and evoke no thought.

I'm not into that whole underground scene or anything either. Most the bands I listen to are signed, but they have INTEGRITY, produce thought provoking music and lyrics, or are at least good musicians.

gmal2003 09-07-03 04:28 PM

Valid points again, I will check out those artists and make my oppinions

Sessa17 09-07-03 05:48 PM

There are about 8,000 bands out right now that sound exactly like them. That's my problem with them. And it's not just them I hate, it's every band like them also. They have ABSOLUTELY NO musical talent whatsover. All these bands use the same cords & arrangements over & over & over. It is soooooo boring.

Jason 09-07-03 06:39 PM

There are two things I don't like about Lincoln Park, and by extension, all mall-core.

First, their songs are dull, repetitive drones about meaningless personal issues (most likely made up to appeal to mopey teens), and are delivered with little passion and no range. I can't relate to upper-middle class teens with new cars, pagers, cell phones, and high speed net access who think they live in a world of ****. These people have little, if anything to complain about.

Second, lack of interesting musicianship. No virtuosity, no solos, no style. Just a background for music videos that look like Abercrombie and Fitch commercials. It's as prefabricated as every other pop genre. There's nothing to grab my attention, much less hold it.

I could care less how popular they are. Good music is good music, no matter how many (or few) people listen to it.

Jepthah 09-07-03 06:56 PM

Inarticulate, unfocused RAGE.

Bands which traffic in this, generally speaking, suck. Linkin is one of those. As a musician, you are allowed to be as morbid, angry, repugnant, etc. as you wish...but if you can't back it up with intelligent and well-crafted music/lyrics you're more 100 times more worthless than mindless Euro-pop.

There is a reason why artists like Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson (to name the two most obvious) turn their noses up at this new breed of techno-rap-rockers--because they're content to dilute what their predecessors did while adding little or nothing that's new or different.

mdc3000 09-07-03 07:14 PM

I try not to let hype etc. filter into my musical preferences...and that said, LINKIN PARK is easily one of my favourite bands of late. And it's not only the fact that I think they have great riffs, melodies and sharp lyrics, but their albums are SOLID. I mean, from start to finish, there is NO filler. Every song is just as good as the last.

Sometimes I get albums that I really enjoy, listen to them for a month, and then they go on the shelf for a few months and maybe get listened to a few times a year. All the LINKIN PARK records hardly ever see the shelf.... even years after it's release, Hybrid Theory remains one of the most satisfying albums with extreme longevity in my eyes and Meteora is JUST as good, if not better... I can't wait to see what they do next...

MATT

p.s. I also really like Reanimation and have seen LP twice live and they tore the roof off the mothersucker both times

Deftones 09-07-03 08:03 PM

my problem is everything that they play sounds the same. just like korn, limp bizkit and a ton of other bands. have some originality. use a few different musical instruments in your music here and there. bands like tool and the deftones do a good job of mixing it up, so it's not repetitive.

Jason 09-07-03 08:03 PM

If you're really enjoying it, more power to you, and certainly don't let us ruin your fun. It's great to have a CD you never get tired of.

Brain Stew 09-07-03 08:04 PM

I think the whole rap metal or nu metal genre has really run out of steam. Staind is content to turn "It's Been A While" into a whole album, Godsmack keep retreading the same angry ground with nothing new to say, Limp Bizkit (or is it limpbizkit) has quite simply imploded, KoRn have lost a lot of album sales because they have tried to experiement a little and will most likely call it quits because of it, and Linkin Park have been overexposed with a small amount of written material.

gmal2003 09-07-03 08:16 PM

I have a problem when people say Linkin Park songs all sound the same, in fact, I think they deliver a variety of different styles in their songs, if you actually have there albums and have heard more than the radio hits, I think some would feel the same, I will put up facts to prove my point unlike some (ex. name some of the 8000 bands LP sounds like)

examples(in pairs) : Nobodys Listening & Somewhere I belong, Crawling & A place for my head, Breaking the Habit & Lying From You, Session & One Step Closer, Dont Stay & In the End

These are just a few of there songs which dually do not sound similar. Lastly, every band will have songs which sound similar, Meteora isnt a complete switch from Hybrid Theory but instead an extension which in my oppinion is good cuz why switch and mess up an already solid vibe.

RevLiver 09-07-03 08:37 PM

I can't stand Linkin Park primarily because I find their chosen genre irritating. It actually pains my ears to listen to "nu-metal" or mallcore or whatever you want to call it. It's all slickly designed to pander to a wide audience and music like that makes me nauseous.

I'll second all of fallow's recommendations and add Kinky, Add N to (X), Cornelius and The Postal Service. None of them sound remotely like Linkin Park, none of them are about testosterone-fueled whining rage. They are all much more original combinations of rock/pop and electronic music.

If you want something that rages, check out Stabbing Westward, their first 3 albums (Ungod, Wither Blister Burn + Peel, Darkest Days) make Linkin Park sound like Enya. And also display a much greater musicianship than any of the LP songs I've had the displeasure to hear on the radio. Ignore their fourth, self-titled disc, they went all Creed on that one and broke up shortly thereafter.

jk4w 09-07-03 08:53 PM

False Metal = Linkin Park

Real Metal = Goatwhore

KingSmoth 09-08-03 01:14 AM

A few years ago I was into Linkin Park. I actually hadn't listened to any of their music in the last year or so, and when I came across the CD a few weeks ago in a box I popped it in, and I couldn't tolerate any of the music. I just can't stand the whiny lead, especially with crap like "SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKIN' TO YOU! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP blah blah blah"
I've also grown completely, utterly, sick and tired of rap over the last few years, and nothing is worse than white boy AZN rap.

LivingINClip 09-08-03 04:19 AM

It's not "false metal", it's "pop metal" and it's filled with teen angst. That's my primary reason for not "loving them", but some of their songs I do listen to.

inri222 09-08-03 04:26 AM

There are two things I don't like about Lincoln Park, and by extension, all mall-core.

First, their songs are dull, repetitive drones about meaningless personal issues (most likely made up to appeal to mopey teens), and are delivered with little passion and no range. I can't relate to upper-middle class teens with new cars, pagers, cell phones, and high speed net access who think they live in a world of ****. These people have little, if anything to complain about.

Second, lack of interesting musicianship. No virtuosity, no solos, no style. Just a background for music videos that look like Abercrombie and Fitch commercials. It's as prefabricated as every other pop genre. There's nothing to grab my attention, much less hold it.

I could care less how popular they are. Good music is good music, no matter how many (or few) people listen to it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

atlantamoi 09-08-03 08:47 AM

Originally posted by RevLiver

I'll second all of fallow's recommendations and add Kinky

Kinky! Great stuff... saw 'em live... a blast. There ya have it.
Just one band that gets ignored while a band like Linkin is all over the place. Tends to anger people who like other kinds of music as well... and I don't mean independent snotty nosed lofi rock either. I think that new Linkin song is awful, but the beginning sample with the strings is really cool... then BAM... same 'ol same 'ol. I just want to hear something NEW sounding on the radio for a change.

Capo2002 09-08-03 09:00 AM

I dislike linkin park because their songs all sound pretty much the same, their singer has an annoying voice, their lyrics are extremely repetitive, and they just lack energy and intensity in their music which I like. Nothing personal to people who like linkin park, they're just not my cup of tea.

heimerSWT 09-08-03 11:17 AM

The annoying, whiny voice of the lead singer is *the* reason why I cannot stand them.

An instrumental version of one of their albums would maybe be worth a listen.