Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What is you guys problem w/ Linkin Park

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What is you guys problem w/ Linkin Park

Old 09-14-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by fallow
I really hope you regard that as a laughable reason to dislike a band. Haven't you seen Airheads?
Hell, a lot of bands I listen to have frontmen that still look like that...
Old 09-14-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
Hell, a lot of bands I listen to have frontmen that still look like that...
Come to think of it, those pictures look a little bit like Modest Mouse's new drummer. Of course, I may be mistaken...I've only seen him live and from a distance, at that.
Old 09-16-03, 09:31 AM
Banned

They're a glorified boy band for people that don't want to admit they like boy bands.
Old 09-16-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In what way are they like boy bands, well I'll tell you how they arent.

These are of course generalizations (accurate ones might I add) of the usual boy band
1. Boy bands consist of 3-5 singers that dont play any instruments.
LP consists of 1 singer 1 rapper an MC a drummer a guitarist and a bassist.

2. Boy bands talents (if thats what you wanna call it) not only consist of vocals, but choreography
LPs version of choreography is a an inadvertent simultanaeuos (sp) thrust of the head

3. Boy bands favorite topic to sing about is relationships (good and bad)

lps favorite topics are acceptance, tolerance (or lack there of), addictions, and epiphanies

4. Boy bands grooming is neat, clean, and matching which makes them attractive to young females
LP's is unkept, and mismatched and I have heard very few (if any) females praise LP for there looks

My problem with many people is that they make statements such as the one above, which although sounds catchy or might get a laugh, is false. its one thing to say that they are a manufactured wannabe rock band (which is arguable), but to say that they are for people who like boy bands but are scared to admit it is crazy when they dont hold similarities that usually define a boy band. Im interested in reading some facts that support such a statement.
Old 09-16-03, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JestersTear
They're a glorified boy band for people that don't want to admit they like boy bands.
I'd rather listen to N'Sync than Linkin Park...
Old 09-16-03, 09:12 PM

You see, I was originally going to reply in this thread and respond that this was in fact a thread for musical snobs to shit all over LP- fair enough, he asked for it. However upon second thought, it occurred to me that it isn't musical snobbery at all- it's musical NARROW-MINDEDNESS. I happen to like LP, sure some of their lyrics are inane and stupid, but reanimator has some great songs on it that in fact are quite varied-IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN TO THEM.

My right to speak:
I listen to LP, but I also listen to a lot of other things. If you name a musical style, I probably have at least one CD of that style in my collection. From The Jayhawks to Duncan Sheik, To Linkin Park, to The Goo Goo Dolls, Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Radiohead, Thievery Coporation Shawn Mullins,Morcheeba, Marilyn Manson, NIN, lots of Jazz (many styles), lots of Blues (many styles), Classic Rock, Prog Rock, blah,blah,blah....

The point is, I listen to and appreciate what I listen to for what it is.

I went to www.amazon.com to listen to those bands that fallow listed (those that had samples-both from albums he listed or others by the same group), and upon INITIAL listening thought they were dull and repetetive- because I didn't bother to take the time and listen. On first listen, Manitoba sucked ass but I don't know anything about them.

Are LP corporate pop sellouts that are boy bands for pop radio? Could be. Does that mean they suck. Not necessarily. I will admit that I call LP my "guilty pleasure", but I don't think thats has to be a bad thing. Same with movies I like American Pie, but I can also watch something more intellectual and thought provoking and be satisfied with either.

[/rantoff]
Old 09-16-03, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gmal2003
My problem with many people is that they make statements such as the one above, which although sounds catchy or might get a laugh, is false. its one thing to say that they are a manufactured wannabe rock band (which is arguable), but to say that they are for people who like boy bands but are scared to admit it is crazy when they dont hold similarities that usually define a boy band. Im interested in reading some facts that support such a statement.
*shrug*

You see it your way, I see it mine. Like I said, they're a glorified boy band. They're jazzed up a little, but they're still a studio created boy band that tries to look like a group of bad boys.

You asked why I don't like them, I told you. Don't whine about it.
Old 09-16-03, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bulletproof

I listen to LP, but I also listen to a lot of other things. If you name a musical style, I probably have at least one CD of that style in my collection. From The Jayhawks to Duncan Sheik, To Linkin Park, to The Goo Goo Dolls, Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Radiohead, Thievery Coporation Shawn Mullins,Morcheeba, Marilyn Manson, NIN, lots of Jazz (many styles), lots of Blues (many styles), Classic Rock, Prog Rock, blah,blah,blah....
You come off sounding as if you believe that the only way someone can have a wide variety of musical tastes is if they have LP in their collection, which of course is total hooey. I'll wager that my musical collection and interests are just as varied as yours, if not more, and you won't find them in my collection.

Musical narrow-mindedness? Sorry, but just because someone doesn't like the little boy band that pretends it isn't a boy band, that's not narrow-mindedness. It just means people DON"T LIKE THE GROUP.

This thread was started with the question of why people don't like them. I find it funny that some are getting into a snit because people actually have the nerve to answer the question.
Old 09-17-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
My problem with Linkin Park?

the Angst is strong with them. I love some of their songs but you have to admit with lyrics like this:

C
R
R
R
R
A
A
A
A
A
W
L
I
N
G

I
N

M
Y

S
K
I
N
!
!
!
!
!

How can you not wonder about them?
Old 09-17-03, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by JestersTear

You asked why I don't like them, I told you. Don't whine about it.
Get over yourself. I can personally attest that neither I, nor gmal could care less whether you like LP or not. It hasn't stopped my opinion of the bad, it hasn't stopped millions of others who like the band. This topic was meant to get some insight to the real reason why persons of this particular forum in general seem to have such anti-LP sentiments (besides the "they suck" reasons).

Discussion is not whining. Expressing a diferent viewpoint than yours is not whining. If you don't like the rebuttals, stop reading and stop posting, period.

Last edited by iggystar; 09-17-03 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-17-03, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Linkin Park just doesn't have anything to say that I find interesting, lyrically or musically. I've found their fusion of heavy guitar and pseudo white boy hip hop to be boring and cliched from the moment a friend played me Korn's debut album almost ten years ago. Also, I haven't been a pissed off seventeen year old for over ten years now. Music that speaks to pissed off seventeen year olds generally does not appeal to me (though there are some exceptions).

LP's music is unnecessarily mopey but doesn't really convey any real emotion (unless "loud" is now considered an emotion). Linkin Park were well-manufactured by whatever mastermind put them together, but they're ultimately empty. To me, it almost seems as if their "rage" was manufactured in a lab somewhere to appeal to as many people as possible.

Am I a music snob? Probably. Iggystar and Gmal have probably never heard of most of my favorite bands, so by their definition, I am. I'd rather just call myself a rabid music fan though. I love music enough that I am willing to seek it out and not rely on what's being played on MTV or on the radio. I love some radio bands, but for the most part, the bands I like the most are the ones that took some effort to find.

I guarantee, Gmal and Iggystar, if LP is your favorite band, there are other acts out there doing the same thing much better. I couldn't even begin to guide you to them, as I generally have no interest in that type of music. If you don't want to seek it out, that's fine...listen to LP. I won't begrudge you for it. But, why begrudge those who love music enough to search for it?

You accuse the majority of the people on this board of being "music snobs," but why in the world would anyone bother to enter an internet chat room about music unless they were passionate about music?
Old 09-17-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Being passionate about music (which I am) and being a snob is two different things. In terms of the collective responses on this thread, my assumptions were right as to why people on this forum seem to be anti LP. 1) Some dont like that style of music 2) Some do, but not that particular band 3) Some have only heard the radio hits (which is played quite often) 4) Many on this forum are snobbish as regards to their musical oppinions (not because they differ from mine but due to some quite rude and ignorant responses)
Old 09-17-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think everything on the internet comes across as unintentionally caustic. I doubt anyone is actually trying to come across maliciously toward you. Now, toward Linkin Park? - that is something different.

-edit to add-

Can't this thread just die peacefully now? I felt like we at least ended on a fairly decent note a full-page ago.
Old 09-17-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
ok I'll END IT.

F _ _ K! Linkin Park... j/k... But they do SUCK!!!
Old 09-17-03, 05:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Can't this thread just die peacefully now?]

<small>
Originally posted by gerrythedon
ok I'll END IT.
</small>I'll end it.