Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Today's CDs, etc... (9/03/03)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neko Case - Blacklisted
Barenaked Ladies - Disc One (Greatest Hits)
Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy
Michael Penn - March
Spoon - Kill The Moonlight

MP3's, streaming audio, etc., are all also welcome, I just rarely listen to anything besides CDs. (How 20th century of me. )

QOTW: Do you play an air instrument? If so, which one?

I'm an air drummer (though I play a mean air guitar on Rhett Miller's "Our Love").
Old 09-03-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Been buying a lot lately...

The Warlocks - The Phoenix Album
Lifesavas - Spirit in Stone
Robert Walter's 20th Congress - Giving Up the Ghost
The Clinton Administration - One Nation Under a Re-Groove
Phish - Live Phish 18 (5/7/94)
Drive-By Truckers - Decoration Day
Mike Gordon - Inside In
Josh Rouse - 1972

AOTD: I'm an amazing air guitar player and a competent air drummer.
Old 09-03-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Cake - Fasion Nugget
Cake - Prolonging the Magic
Cake - Motorcade of Generosity
Cake - Comfort Eage
v/a - The Harder They Come (Deluxe Edition)

Yep, it's a Cake day. They are coming here next week and I'm still undecided if I will go. My brother said that they are great live. He also really enjoyed the Hackensaw Boys when he saw them. Cheap Trick may be fun to see, too. Just not sure if I want to put down the $33 + Ticketmaster anal raping.

QotD: I meddle in air drums. I dabble in air guitars.
Old 09-03-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mp3s,
Hella: "Cafeteria Banana", "Biblical Violence", "Better Get a Broom"
Bedhead: "The Unpredictable Landlord", "More Than Ever", "Lepidoptera"
Nina Simone: "My Baby Just Cares For Me", "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair", "Feeling Good", "Falling In Love Again", "Lover, Come Back to Me"

CDs,
Xiu Xiu, A Promise
Deerhoof, Apple 'O

AoTD,
My air-guitar is much better than my real ax-handling. Listening to Hella makes me break out into ace air-drumming.

-edit to add-
I finished writing a paper with the aid of
Gastr Del Sol: "The Seasons Reverse", "Mouth Canyon"
The Microphones: "I Felt Your Shape", "The Moon"
on repeat, in that order.

Last edited by fallow; 09-03-03 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 06:10 PM

The Jam - "Setting Sons"
Stereolab - "Dots and Loops"
Elvis Costello - "Imperial Bedroom"
Brian Eno - "Here Come the Warm Jets"

Q of the D:
I come from a near-extinct group of Midwestern air bassists.
Old 09-03-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listened to:
Wilco - "Being There"
Junior Senior - ST
Mates of State - "European Tour 2003"
Lucksmiths - "Naturaliste"
Nina Nastasia - "The Blackened Air"
Ben Folds - "Ben Folds Live"
Minus Five - "Down With Wilco"

QoD: I sometimes play air vocals.

CDs on the way:
Scout Niblett - "I Am"
Okkervil River - "Down the River of Golden Dreams"
Papas Fritas - "Pop Has Freed Us" (CD/DVD thing)
Skating Club - "Bugs and Flowers"
Kills - "Keep On Your Mean Side"
Old 09-03-03, 08:15 PM

Maybe I should trade in my critic card... The two dullest albums I've heard this year have been the Drive-by Truckers and Fountains of Wayne discs (not to mention Radiohead and Grandaddy). I finally got around to listening to those first two albums last week, and was dulled beyond belief. Floating my boat lately:

Country Teasers, Secret Weapon Revealed at Last
Country Teasers, Strickler's Lack (an album of unreleased stuff compiled for me by their guitarist)
The Rebel, More Strickler Lacks (an album of solo stuff by the Country Teasers frontman)
Clearlake, Cedars
Basement Jaxx, Kish Kash
Hella, Total Bugs Bunny on Wild Bass

Fallow, heard the Rapture album yet? It should be getting sent to college radio soon. Definitely top three album of the year for me (I think I have about 50 top three albums, though) so far.

I don't remember the last time I bought a CD. A combination of factors:

1) No job. No money. No CDs.
2) I've been getting loads more promos.
3) Finally got around to checking out this P2P thing for the first time ever.
Old 09-03-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yancey
Fallow, heard the Rapture album yet? It should be getting sent to college radio soon. Definitely top three album of the year for me (I think I have about 50 top three albums, though) so far.
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm the Asst. Music Director this year, so I finally have some pull. I'm calling it as soon as it comes in, fo' sure. I did hear their latest single and love it - not as great as "House of Jealous Lovers", but it's my newest fodder for dance-mixes. Far and away my most anticipated album of the year.

I agree with you on the Radiohead album. I think a couple tracks on it are great, but it's mostly pedestrian studio-wanking. It's the only 2k3 album I regret purchasing thus far, and I've purchased 20+ some (which is a lot for me).

Sorry to hear that you still don't have a job.
Old 09-03-03, 09:55 PM

Mogwai- EP+2
Spiritualized- Complete Works Vol. 1 (Disc One)
Low- I Could Live In Hope
Old 09-03-03, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by fallow
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm the Asst. Music Director this year, so I finally have some pull. I'm calling it as soon as it comes in, fo' sure. I did hear their latest single and love it - not as great as "House of Jealous Lovers", but it's my newest fodder for dance-mixes. Far and away my most anticipated album of the year.

I agree with you on the Radiohead album. I think a couple tracks on it are great, but it's mostly pedestrian studio-wanking. It's the only 2k3 album I regret purchasing thus far, and I've purchased 20+ some (which is a lot for me).

Sorry to hear that you still don't have a job.
What's the single? "Killing?" I think that's it. Yeah, that one's a jeep thumper, for sure. My favorite tracks are "Sister Saviour," which sounds like Donna Summer, and "I Need Your Love," which is pretty much straight house. I wish the entire album went in the dance direction, but there are too many ballads on the thing. It's what keeps it from being No. 1 on my year-end list (A.R.E. Weapons still has that title). By the way, I'll have a feature on the Rapture in the October CMJ. Should be cool. The big blackout happened while I was interviewing them...

Regular Today's CDers should be on the lookout for the King Creosote record, which comes out in a few weeks on Domino. Very reminiscent of Fairport Convention, and I think it would appeal to quite a few of you (ferrinstance: stevevt, you'll LOVE this thing). It's twee as hell, but I still like it. That should tell you something!

(on the job front, immediately after getting laid off I had interviews with Time Out New York and Entertainment Weekly for writing positions in each mag's respective music department. I was so optimistic in those days (which were all of six weeks ago) that I was trying to decide which mag I was gonna turn down (Time Out). Of course the denouemont for this tale you saw a mile away: I got neither job, and haven't had a decent prospect since. I am writing a lot, freelance-wise -- at least three pieces a week for the Voice/City Pages/CMJ/etc/etc that I'm getting done -- but I'm not quite at the level where I can rely on just that for my income (I need to break into Spin/Rolling Stone/Blender for that)(Which very well may be happening soon). Anyway, sorry for that detour.)

Last edited by Yancey; 09-03-03 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Naw, the single is "Sister Saviour." I would be going to the CMJ festival, but they can only send 2 from the radio (General Manager and Music Director) because of all the budget cuts. Next year, I hope. I'll keep an eye out for the feature.
Old 09-04-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Yancey

Regular Today's CDers should be on the lookout for the King Creosote record, which comes out in a few weeks on Domino. Very reminiscent of Fairport Convention, and I think it would appeal to quite a few of you (ferrinstance: stevevt, you'll LOVE this thing). It's twee as hell, but I still like it. That should tell you something!
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-05-03, 03:11 PM

Tipper: Surrounded (DVD-A 5.1)

QotD: I don't rock the air-axe myself, but a few weeks ago while seeing Alison Krauss & Union Station in concert, the guy in front of me was playing the air dobro, I nearly pissed myself from laughing so hard.