Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Converting Audio Tapes to CDs?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wasn't sure which forum to post this in and this one seems like the most accessible to the topic at hand... however, i'm also pretty sure this is probably the wrong one, so mods, please feel free to move this..

anyway, my mother just completed a year in St. Lucia (small island in the Caribbean) interviewing residents 80 or over and getting their life history down. some of what she recorded were songs and whatnot. she recorded them on standard old cassette tapes.. (don't get me started on how far behind my family is technologically... my brother and i joke that we only turned in our covered wagon for a minivan in 1985.)

that's just a history for this question, which is almost completely unrelated:

what is the best way to transfer from ol' fashion audio cassettes to compact discs? what technology does it require? is it cheap? etc etc?

thanks for the help/advice!
-di doctor-
Old 08-29-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I did it for a few audio books. Get a boom box or something similar with audio out and plug it in to your computer. Simpley record. One tape will eat up a lot of HD space so make sure you are prepared. Then you simply need to burn your cd. There is software that makes this easeir as well, and it lets you add "markers" so you don't have just one big file.
Old 08-29-03, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could get a stand alone cd recorder and just plug your tape output into it, or better yet just "borrow" it from Circuit City
Old 08-30-03, 05:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Computer forum *would* be better....

The first reply in this thread in the Computer Forum seems to cover it.