Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any news on Van Halen? [inc. Hall of Fame]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any news on Van Halen? [inc. Hall of Fame]

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any news on Van Halen?

Are they ever going to release another c.d.? I just saw David Lee Roth last week so it made me think of them again. I really miss Van Halen. I do hope they get a good singer. I don't want to see David Lee Roth back in front since he has really lost it. I wouldn't mind if they worked things out with Sammy.
Old 08-29-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I wouildn't mind Sammy either. But I think EVH used his giant head/ego to put the final nail in the bands coffin when they fired Cherone and blamed him for poor album sales. Come up with a better excuse than that. And firing your 3rd lead singer after 1 album can't be a good sign.
Old 08-30-03, 05:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a huge VH fan; never really got into them, while still acknowledging their influence and impact on the hard rock scene generally. I bought the greatest hits package and, years ago, used to listen to their early albums.

Sammy Hagar may not have had quite the same profile in his earlier and later career as he did with VH but, from what I've listened to, he produced some respectable material both sides of his time with VH i.e. Montrose was a good band and his solo material contains enough noteworthy tunes not to be written off.

In some ways the situation reminds me of RJ Dio i.e. someone who has been with a couple of notable bands and had a fair degree of solo success but who is still measured more by his time with Rainbow/Sabbath; sometimes almost as if he brought nothing personally to those bands and that outside of them he is a pale reflection. This is as unfair to Dio as it is to Hagar, I think.

Frankly, I'd not see any good reason for Hagar to work with the van Halen family again; certainly not in a band bearing their name as it would be too unequal a set-up for someone of his calibre. Wasn't he doing something along the lines of a supergroup sideproject (Planet Us?) with Michael Anthony, Deen Castronovo, Neil Schon and others? Given the initial publicity, maybe they will go out and play with Velvet Revolver although a February note on Sam's site suggests that his project is "on hold".

And, yes, by all accounts DLR still has the onstage schtick off to a tee, but the ego clash seems to be even more pronounced in that particular combination. If DLR rejoined VH you would almost be expecting an early break-up. And it clearly would be about nothing but money which is hardly the best envirnonment for creativity IMNSHO. But we have the example of Rob Halford and Judas Priest to look at.... if that works then who knows!?

Off at a tangent, I know he has his own "issues" but maybe they should rope in someone like Billy Squiers for a long (Kiss-like) farewell tour & album?

Last edited by benedict; 08-30-03 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Don't know if it's a rumor or not, but I've heard that Eddie's battle with cancer isn't going well and that's why there's been no new VH music.
Old 08-30-03, 06:55 PM
Banned

Melodicrock.com is a great source of VH news. Granted, it's all "unofficial" since the VH boys believe in treating their fans like crap and not releasing any news updates or commenting on any rumours.

Their news for the last month has boiled down to this:

Sammy was close to returning to VH before the Sam & Dave tour, but Ed & Alex backed out at the last minute.

Michael Anthony is gone. Eddie couldn't handle Mike being friends with Sammy. Mike hasn't been told that he's out, but his exclusion from being invited to Alex Van Halen's birthday bash and the fact that he hasn't been contacted by either VH brother in over a year is a pretty good sign. Ed and Alex are recording new music, and Eddie has been doing the bass parts.

Van Halen does not have a recording contract, but if Eddie & Alex want to release anything under the name "Van Halen," they are legally obligated to release it through Warner Brothers, who apparently own the name "Van Halen."

WB says that it will not release or allow any recording under the name "Van Halen" if it does not include Michael Anthony on bass and either David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar on vocals. No guest vocalists, no new vocalists. Dave or Sammy only. WB asserts that they, not Eddie and Alex, have the final say in this.
Old 08-30-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by JestersTear
Michael Anthony is gone. Eddie couldn't handle Mike being friends with Sammy. Mike hasn't been told that he's out, but his exclusion from being invited to Alex Van Halen's birthday bash and the fact that he hasn't been contacted by either VH brother in over a year is a pretty good sign. Ed and Alex are recording new music, and Eddie has been doing the bass parts.
That SUCKS.
Van Halen does not have a recording contract, but if Eddie & Alex want to release anything under the name "Van Halen," they are legally obligated to release it through Warner Brothers, who apparently own the name "Van Halen."

WB says that it will not release or allow any recording under the name "Van Halen" if it does not include Michael Anthony on bass and either David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar on vocals. No guest vocalists, no new vocalists. Dave or Sammy only. WB asserts that they, not Eddie and Alex, have the final say in this.
Wow. Can't believe i'm gonna say this...but I agree with WB.
Old 08-31-03, 09:20 AM
Banned

Wow. Can't believe i'm gonna say this...but I agree with WB.
Yeah, it's rare that I agree with a label... but in this case, the VH brothers (ok, just Eddie... Al follows along because he knows that he's nothing on his own now) not only withhold info from their fans, but from their own label as well.

Ed should be begging for Sammy to come back and put up with his crap.

Bringing Dave back would be a bad idea... Dave's done for. Sammy routinely blew him off the stage on their tour, to the point where Dave wanted to start putting limitations on what Sammy could do.

And I'll say it, even though it'll bring a lot of flames... they should think about bringing Gary Cherone back. VH 3 wasn't great, but that was partially because they were getting used to a new singer, and mainly because that entire album was written for Sammy Hagar (Sammy said as much in an interview).

I saw VH3 on tour, and by that time they had worked out the kinks. They sounded great, and Gary was every bit the lively frontman that Dave was.

Not only that, but Gary lit a fire under Eddie and got him to play again. Any Extreme fan can tell you that Eddie suddenly started playing a lot like Nuno Bettencourt after Gary joined.

The band had so much potential. I think that a second album from them would have been spectacular.
Old 09-01-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like Van Halen is finished. Too bad because if David Lee Roth came back for a tour they would clean house. But David's already making money off of VH material anyhow and I doubt the average fan would care who was playing guitar/bass/drums just as long as the songs they loved are there and David's singing them. Same applies to fans of Sammy Hagar era-Van Halen.
Old 09-01-03, 01:11 PM
Banned

Sammy is out.
Roth comes back, is out again.
Alex & Eddie blame Roth & Sammy, Roth & Sammy have their own story.
Eddie was battling booze in rehab.
Eddie and Valarie divorce.
It sure seems Eddie was the problem for everything.
And Alex being a brother always was backing Eddie.
It seems to all come down to Eddie's drinking that ruined everything for the band.
Well, at least he didn't die.
Old 09-03-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya there old and grey and they cant make good music anymore,let them drink and smoke there life away.
Old 09-03-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, it's rare that I agree with a label... but in this case, the VH brothers (ok, just Eddie... Al follows along because he knows that he's nothing on his own now) not only withhold info from their fans, but from their own label as well.

Ed should be begging for Sammy to come back and put up with his crap.

Bringing Dave back would be a bad idea... Dave's done for. Sammy routinely blew him off the stage on their tour, to the point where Dave wanted to start putting limitations on what Sammy could do.

And I'll say it, even though it'll bring a lot of flames... they should think about bringing Gary Cherone back. VH 3 wasn't great, but that was partially because they were getting used to a new singer, and mainly because that entire album was written for Sammy Hagar (Sammy said as much in an interview).

I saw VH3 on tour, and by that time they had worked out the kinks. They sounded great, and Gary was every bit the lively frontman that Dave was.

Not only that, but Gary lit a fire under Eddie and got him to play again. Any Extreme fan can tell you that Eddie suddenly started playing a lot like Nuno Bettencourt after Gary joined.

The band had so much potential. I think that a second album from them would have been spectacular.
I'm going on a limb with ya...and agreeing. I thought they were unreal live with Cherone, although still not as good as with sammy, but Cherone did bring out a different element in the group...I would have liked to see it go for 1 more album...
Old 09-04-03, 01:02 AM
Cool New Member

I was such a big VH fan thru the DLR and SH eras. The album with Gary Cherone wasn't great, but unlike a lot of people I know who are die-hard VH fans, I didn't think it was horrible either. I question whether or not that album was actually written with Sammy in mind; didn't Gary have a hand in writing some of the music as well as the lyrics? Anyway, while I'd love to see them get back with Sammy, I also think they should've given it another go with Gary before they blew up the band. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see another VH album or tour.
Old 09-04-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Wel, I've read and watched various interviews with Sammy and he seems open to the idea of getting back into VH. It's seems he and Michael Anthony jam a lot, so that's a step. Now if the Michael is out thing is true, well then I guess VH is really over.

Too bad Eddies giant ego can't deal with someone who might steal his spotlight. As for Gary Cherone and VH, I thought a few track on VHIII were ok, but as a whole it just wasn't a pleasant listnening experience.

I'd pay to see VH with Hagar, but if they got DLR back I don't think it would get past a few rehearshals before they'd break up again.
Old 09-04-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why is anyone still talking about Van Halen as a band? They haven't been viable for years. Is there any chance a decent lineup will ever exist again and produce a decent album? No.
Old 09-04-03, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Clint B
I was such a big VH fan thru the DLR and SH eras. The album with Gary Cherone wasn't great, but unlike a lot of people I know who are die-hard VH fans, I didn't think it was horrible either. I question whether or not that album was actually written with Sammy in mind; didn't Gary have a hand in writing some of the music as well as the lyrics?
I can't remember where the it was, but I definitely recall reading an interview w/ Sammy and the question was asked about the lackluster reaction that VH3 was getting. Sammy's response was along the lines of "Yeah, but most of that album was written for me and my vocal range / singing style."

Gary probably helped re-write things, but it seems that enough of the original material was still there for Sammy to recognize.
Old 09-04-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
As I remember it, Warner Brothers dropped Van Halen and terminated their contract with them last year. WB has no input into anything Van Halen at this point. They DID up until they terminated their contract, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's when they laid down the law and said Van Halen with Sammy or Dave (and Michael) or no Van Halen at all. When Eddie & Alex didn't comply, Warners dropped them.

Van Halen LOOKS like they're pretty much done. But bands have come back from worse situations before. KISS was in a far worse situation prior to Lick It Up and they resurrected their career and had several more platinum albums after that.
Old 09-04-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We probably will not hear anything about the state of the band until next years R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony (if they get in on the first ballot that is).
Old 09-04-03, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by B5Erik
As I remember it, Warner Brothers dropped Van Halen and terminated their contract with them last year. WB has no input into anything Van Halen at this point. They DID up until they terminated their contract, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's when they laid down the law and said Van Halen with Sammy or Dave (and Michael) or no Van Halen at all. When Eddie & Alex didn't comply, Warners dropped them.
If WB owns the band name, though, then Eddie and Al will not be releasing anything as Van Halen. So in that case, WB does have every bit of input into anything put out under the name "Van Halen."

Van Halen LOOKS like they're pretty much done. But bands have come back from worse situations before. KISS was in a far worse situation prior to Lick It Up and they resurrected their career and had several more platinum albums after that.
True, but each band had different problems, so it's not a fair comparison.

Kiss still had the foundation of the band - Paul and Gene. They were the 2 primary frontmen, singers and songwriters. Gene also has a much better business sense than the Van Halen boys. Kiss kept promoting themselves, reminidng the people that they still existed.

Van Halen, on the other hand, cannot hold on to a frontman, who is usually also the main lyric writer for the band. Furthermore, they've apparently rid themselves of their bassist, regarded by many to be one of the most solid bass players in rock, and also a very under-estimated backing vocalist. And worst of all, Eddie does nothing to remind the fans that Van Halen still exists. These days you have to stay in the news or you're screwed. VH has been out of any sort of mainstream news (even rock mainstream news) for about 6 years now. Most people have forgotten about them.
Old 09-04-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
What WB needs to do is put out Best Of Volume 2, cuz I want 'Hot for Teacher' & 'Runaround' damnit!!
Old 09-04-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Dude, if you want "Hot For Teacher" just get 1984. It's the last one that WB remastered.

Perhaps what you meant to say is "I hope WB continues to remaster the SH-VH discs..."

'sides...you should already OWN 1984.
Old 09-05-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner Brothers does not own the Van Halen name.

Ted Templeman actually signed VH to a production contract in 1977 and the WB contract was with Templeman originally. (A somewhat common practice back in the day - the label would sign the contract with the record producer and the producer would have a pre-existing contract with the band.)

By terminating their contract with Van Halen Warners gave up all rights to any new product from the band regardless of what they call themselves - unless they sign a new contract with them.

The story about WB owning the VH name is bogus.
Old 09-05-03, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by B5Erik
Warner Brothers does not own the Van Halen name.

Ted Templeman actually signed VH to a production contract in 1977 and the WB contract was with Templeman originally. (A somewhat common practice back in the day - the label would sign the contract with the record producer and the producer would have a pre-existing contract with the band.)

By terminating their contract with Van Halen Warners gave up all rights to any new product from the band regardless of what they call themselves - unless they sign a new contract with them.

The story about WB owning the VH name is bogus.
I have to disagree.

I do not think that WB would be so stupid as to say that they have control over the name "Van Halen" unless they actually did.

You don't know if any other contracts were signed by Van Halen and Warner Bros in the 25 years after signing with Templeman.

Seeing as no band makes a contract calling for 10+ albums, I'd think it's safe to say that more contracts were signed, and we don't know what was in them.
Old 09-05-03, 08:32 AM
Banned

More stuff from Sammy Hagar, from an interview w/ Goldmine Magazine:

GM: How is Michael Anthony and what are his thoughts on the Van Halen situation?
SH: He's basically like everyone else out there. He's completely lost touch with any of the Van Halen situation. He hasn't talked to any of those guys in maybe, I dunno, a year? Him and I are close now so I know all this stuff. It's basically, there is not a Van Halen. I mean, I hate to break the news to all these people (laughs), but there is not. Michael Anthony plays with me part time, and if it wasn't for me just being crazy about my wonderful bass player Mona, who I think is the greatest, Mike would be in my band right now. And as far as I'm concerned, if there's no Sammy, no Mike, or no David Lee Roth in Van Halen, then there's Eddie and Alex Van Halen, and that is not Van Halen. I'm sure they're capable of putting together a great band, or doing great solo projects, whatever they decide to do. But I don't think that the world is going to buy it as Van Halen without at least two or more of the original kind of members. So there really is no Van Halen.
GM: I was at a party once with (Ray) Danniels once, and he said part of the problem was Eddie has been a rock star all his life and he's lost touch.
SH: Oh really? (Laughs) That's an understatement. (Laughs) He HAS lost touch, otherwise, he'd be playing music. I mean this guy is a great musician. Not only does he play unbelievable guitar, he plays unbelievable keyboards of any kind and probably could play any instrument he puts his hands on. And the guy hasn't played music for I don't know how long. Something is really wrong. But yes, I'm really down on Eddie for wasting his life. I mean, maybe I don't know everything, but to me, you're a musician you're a famous and a great one. And your fans have been so loyal to you, you have to at least go and give a little bit. I mean, you cant be self-indulgent like that. You got a problem? OK then at least let them know, "Hey, I can't play music right now." You know, every time Eddie makes a statement on their website, it's like "Yeah, be watchin man...Van Halen's coming out with something new real soon! Any day now." You watch it", and it's like, PFFT. I mean, lying to people is not cool.
Old 09-05-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
to Sammy.

Last update from Eddie on 5/07/02<--------2002!?!

I know I promised I'd get back to you and I'm sorry for the delay but I wanted to let you all know that I've just gotten a 100% clean bill of health - from head to toe. I wanted to share the good news with you immediately. And of course, I thank you all for all your good wishes and prayers along the way. Now it's time to really get back to the music and fun.....so party on and you'll be hearing from us very soon.

All my love,
Eddie

Looks like Sammy's right on the money.
Old 09-05-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to disagree.

I do not think that WB would be so stupid as to say that they have control over the name "Van Halen" unless they actually did.

You don't know if any other contracts were signed by Van Halen and Warner Bros in the 25 years after signing with Templeman.

Seeing as no band makes a contract calling for 10+ albums, I'd think it's safe to say that more contracts were signed, and we don't know what was in them.
Who from Warner Brothers ever said that they "own" the Van Halen name?

EVERY record company that signs a band directly "owns" that band's name while they're under contract to that label. That band is NOT free to record an album and release it under their band name for a different record company - or even to release it themselves.

Once Warners terminated their contract they gave up ALL rights to any future interests in Van Halen, including the Van Halen name.

The one thing I remember specifically about the story when Van Halen was dropped by Warner Brothers was that WB gave up ALL future interests in the band (outside of keeping the rights to the Van Halen back catalog of albums).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.