Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sarah McLachlan-Fallen===FINALLY!! (update: available online legally!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sarah McLachlan-Fallen===FINALLY!! (update: available online legally!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by suziq999
Picked this up... I love Sarah, but I'm sorry, this CD is not my cup of tea. It sounds like old recycled material. I only liked 2 songs on there. Does anybody else NOT like it besides me? I'm not trying to thread crap, I've been a Sarah fan since the late 80's.... and this just sounds like she threw stuff together. Honestly, her lyrics are almost identical to some on Fumbling... Does it grow on you?
I, like you, have been a fan since Touch (her 80s release) and I felt on the first listen that Fallen was a little...well...flat. However, I didn't like Surfacing on the first listen eithe. Fumbling, being one of my favorite albums, was hard to beat. Although Surfacing woudl grow on me months after I stoped listening to the radio and heard Adia or Angel ever 5 minutes. Fallen, after a few listens, indeed does grow on you although the comparisons to Fumbling are hard to ignore. In the end, though, in my mind, some Sarah is better then no Sarah and it was well worth the wait to at least hear some new stuff.
Old 12-24-03, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a side note...I'm getting the DVD-Audio for Touch for Christmas. Can't wait to finally hear what the hype is all about...and from one of my favorite artists

Hate to say it...but none of my others has a cd out for DVD-audio.
Old 01-30-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well the tour dates were announced for this summer!

I'm taking a 3 and 1/2 week roadtrip this summer that has already been scheduled.
It's funny because she'll be in Houston and New Orleans exactly when I'll be there.
(...and Nashville and Charlotte and Hartford easily made if I wanted to. I'll be on the road in that vicinity on those dates).

Locally to my home, I'd go to the Worcester show.

So I haven't decided which shows I'm going to yet.
But will probably do New Orleans and one other.
(will get the fanclub tickets)
Old 07-28-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw Sarah at Philips Arena tonight (Atlanta), and she's the real deal. I think the only song she didn't do from "Afterglow" was "Time" (which I like a lot). She opened with "Fallen" but she wasn't quite warmed up to do that song's high notes as well as on the album, so it was a little shaky, but then she got warmed up and settled in a groove and sounded great.

She brought the house down with "Fear" (probably the hardest song her in catalogue), but it took her about 2.5 songs to get her voice back to normal singing volume/range again. She immediately sang "Train Wreck" and I had to note the irony of the song choice at that moment in time. But it's totally understandable because she really nailed "Fear" and it just took its toll for a short while.

I do think the live version of the songs from "Fumbling" are a bit better than the ones from "Surfacing", but still very enjoyable, and I liked the new intro's to many of the songs as well. I'm not all that crazy about "Perfect Girl" but the live version was much better than the album version.

All in all, Sarah sang for about 2 hours (mainly from her last 3 albums, and a couple from soundtracks), with a couple of encores thrown in for good measures. The piano- only song renditions were really nice and pure. The vocals were mixed well inside the arena for Sarah (as in the instrumentals didn't overpower her vocals or vice-versa). And my ears didn't ring much afterwards, even though our seats were on the floor. I was miffed that a really tall guy was in my line of sight for front and center when Sarah was there on stage. Oh well, that's just the luck you get at concerts.

Anyhow, if you're a fan of Sarah's, you owe it to yourself to see her in concert, you won't be disappointed at all.
Old 07-28-04, 07:15 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you happen to recall the songs she did, her setlist?

I'm seeing her in Detroit on the 23rd of August. I've had my tickets since the morning they went on sale in march I think.
Got balcony seats, but first row so no one in front of me.

Can't wait. I missed her last time she was touring. I saw her once at Lilith Fair.

I'm still a bit unsure of the venue. Last time she played the Fox Theater in Detroit which is a nice venue, and smallish.

This time, she is playing at the Palace of Auburn Hills(Pistons NBA and Shock WNBA). Its a huge place.
Old 07-28-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Caught her in Houston last weekend. Great show. Really like the way they did the visuals on the backdrop. She looked great and sounded great!

I also enjoyed her opening act Butterfly Boucher. I think I just may go out and pick up her CD (which she was autographing at the show-but itwas on the other side of the stadium so I was too lazy to go).
Old 07-28-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sarah's stage was looking a bit on the organic side (I swore stuff was growing throughout the show!)

I can't remember the setlist, but it was a solid 2 hours of Sarah, and I really needed it after hearing about the death of a close childhood friend's mother yesterday. There were songs that made me fight back tears a lot (Angel almost crushed me).

Butterfly Boucher looks a little like the lead actress playing Jaye from Wonderfalls, but with short hair. It was kind of cool to see a singer playing bass in her songs. Her voice is a bit like Fiona Apple's but with probably another octave to it.

Last edited by Patman; 07-28-04 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-28-04, 06:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw Sarah last Thursday at the Dallas show, and all I can say is WOW! What a great show, I think she sang 25 songs. Don't know about other shows, but the first song of the encore was a cover of the Beatles' "Blackbird." I have the setlist written down, just not in front of me so I will post a complete list a bit later.
Jon
Old 07-28-04, 08:32 PM

When I saw Sarah a few weeks ago, in San Diego, this was her setlist:

'fallen'
'world on fire'
'adia'
cover of 'you are my sunshine'
'hold on'
Perfect Girl
'drifting'
'push'
'i will remember you'
'ice'
'wait'
'witness'
'elsewhere'
'answer'
'angel'
'fear'
'trainwreck'
'building a mystery'
'sweet surrender'
'posession'

ENCORE
'blackbird'
'ice cream'
'stupid'
'fumbling towards ecstasy'
'dirty little secret'

Very good show. I must admit I have been listening to "Afterglow" much more than I did before the show. My only regret is that she didn't do "Time", but it was well worth it since she did a ton of songs from my favortite Sarah cd, "FTE"..

GO SEE THIS SHOW IF YOU ARE A SARAH FAN ..
Old 07-29-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's pretty close to the setlist Sarah played in Atlanta as well.

There was a second encore which featured "Dirty Little Secret" after FTE.

Does anyone know what the secret in DLS is all about?