Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jessica Simpson : "In This Skin"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Jessica Simpson : "In This Skin"

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do we actually need to know all of this?
Old 11-21-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by Cottington
PS : Jessica says that the brand title 'Justica' evolves from "just Jessica" meaning just being herself.
Old 12-23-03, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, WHO CARES if this CD fell out of the Top 200? Theres no denying that its better than anything ever released by U2 AND Coldplay COMBINED. Yes, its THAT GOOD! You should get your copy NOW.

http://www.jessicasimpson.com

VISIT IT!!!

Jessica Simpson : The Intellectuals' Tori Amos.
Old 12-24-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright, WHO CARES if this CD fell out of the Top 200? Theres no denying that its better than anything ever released by U2 AND Coldplay COMBINED. Yes, its THAT GOOD! You should get your copy NOW.

http://www.jessicasimpson.com

VISIT IT!!!

Jessica Simpson : The Intellectuals' Tori Amos.
Nick? Nick Lachey, is that you?
Old 12-24-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guys, this album is NO JOKE!

I bought this the other day and after only two listens my lymphoma cleared right up! Awesome!
Old 12-24-03, 07:46 AM

by way the funnniest sketch about the stupidity of Jessica simpson and her husband was the one done on Mad TV
with Jessica Alba as Jessica Simpson,
she looked a lot hotter than the real deal
Old 12-24-03, 10:39 PM

Heart break is not the real stuff..Jessica Simpson is not only dumb but clueless as to what love is...Sarareku will one day fight for true love music and music world.
Old 12-25-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jessica Simpson : The Intellectuals' Tori Amos
I can't tell if you are joking or not.. If so - haha.
If not - you should be shot, comparing Jessica to Tori.
Old 12-26-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Sarareku will one day fight for true love music and music world."

Uh.......huh?
Old 12-27-03, 06:47 PM

What? Don't you know that Sarareku is studying music to one day be the most lovely and cute of all groups ever?
Old 12-29-03, 05:30 AM
Banned

By the way, did any of you read the new NYT article about how Jessica Simpson is dabbling with Jewish spirituality, namely the Kabbalah, thereby pissing her father off as hes so Christian? I hope this is covered in Season 2 of "NewlyWeds". I think Jessica is finally maturing as an artist and needs to be commended for her splendid work in the furthering of her own human soul. She is such an inspiration and role model for millions of us, despite being dumb.

As for being the intellectuals' Tori Amos, please listen to the CD and her lyrics before passing judgement. I cannot tolerate this hypocrisy and this endless tirade against a sweet innocent person whose only fault is that shes beautiful, famous and makes excellent music. Question : do YOU have a record deal. No? I thought so. So SHUT UP.
Old 12-30-03, 08:07 AM
Banned

So, has anyone bought the CD yet based on my recommendations? Im waiting for your opinions. No ones saying anything about her music, just bashing her. Its not fair!
Old 12-30-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard the whole album. It sucks. She's funny on her show though.
Old 12-31-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to irritate a mod so I will just say...my god what a thread.
Old 12-31-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Wow. This is true.

I used to have Peyronies Disease, and one listen to Jessica Simpson's new album took the curve right out of my dick!

My erections are now straight as an arrow!

Thanks, Jess!
Old 01-01-04, 06:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Top tips for continued and happy posting in Music Talk in 2004

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
I will just say...my god what a thread.
  1. Post productively in threads discussing topics that do interest you.
  2. Stop posting in [& so bouncing] threads you purport to dislike.
  3. Use this.
Old 01-01-04, 11:42 PM
Banned

OK, Im not kidding, heres a REALLY WELL WRITTEN review of her new album. If you dont have it, it means you suck. Live with that. In any case, Jess' album is now $7.99 at BestBuy! Does anyone know why its so inexpensive? Maybe its part of a new marketing push now that the albums risen on the Top 200 chart (its 70 something). READ!!

Lookin' so crazy in love - Jessica Simpson's In This Skin
Oct 18 '03

Pros
It's catchy and her voice sounds great

Cons
Takes a while to grow on you

The Bottom Line
This isn't going to have some major impact on music, but it is a great pop album.

Full Review
All things considered, Jessica Simpson has had it pretty rough. Alright, so she hasn't exactly starved or anything, but in the pop world, she hasn't exactly exploded. Take into consideration her first album, Sweet Kisses. Though there were 3 moderately successful singles, it got mixed reviews. And how about Irresistable? She tried to do R&B. Need I say more? I think there was a remix album thrown in there too, but if anyone bought it I'd be surprised. And through it all, we knew she wasn't even getting any nookie.

Then again, deep down, we knew she was talented. With all the jokes we've been telling, some part of us has to admit that Jessica has an awesome voice.

Things took a turn when she married Nick Lachey, who you may remember as the one in 98 Degrees... okay, the only guy you might remember from 98 Degrees. They got married, they moved in together (obviously), and, boy, did they consumate. Jessica thought this was an apt time to make a comeback.

It's obvious throughout this album, moreso than her previous efforts, that Jessica Simpson is one woman who's madly in love. Despite what we see on Newlyweds, it looks like Jessica and Nick really are infatuated with each other, as the lyrics the this album prove.

The first single from In This Skin was Sweetest Sin, which was not exactly a success. (Honestly, did anyone ever see this on TV?) Now, I know my Diane Warren, and honestly it's one of the weaker tracks I've heard from her. The melody isn't exactly memorable, and the lyrics just don't make sense. Your skin upon my skin would be the sweetest sin, she sings. Right. Jessica. We all know you've done the deed, what are you talking about? Maybe on her previous album, this would have worked, but we're not stupid!

Things do take a turn for the better on the next track (and second single) With You. Now, be warned, it is a little bit weird. There's a little bit too much going on here. It sounds like some R&B / country hybrid with a lot of backing vocals. Taking that into consideration, it's still a pretty catchy song, and Jessica's voice sounds pretty good on it too. The lyrics are pretty cute, about how comfortable Jess feels around her hubby. Aw.

One of the nice things on this album is that, though it's not anything way left of center, there are a few experimentations, one of these being the mid-Eastern flavored My Way Home. Although I've heard this compared to a few other songs (Jewel's Intuition, Christina's Make Over), I really don't see it. It's a very enticing song, the melody slinky and sexy, and it's very refreshing to hear Jessica to do something a little different.

Next is one of my favorites, I Have Loved You. It's been obvious from the beginning that Jessica can kill any ballad you throw at her (even if it's crap like Heart Of Innocence), so it's no problem for her to do this one. The sweeping melody works so well with her voice, and it's so catchy you'll find yourself singing it for days. The songwriting skills are top notch in the pop world - the lyrics create a daunting mental picture, and the melody and her voice all thrown together make it quite a memorable song.

Jessica does a little more experimenting on the dance flavored track Forbidden Fruit. It's not exactly the most memorable at first listen, but it is dang catchy, even if the lyrics don't really make sense. It does seem kind of like average produced filler, and after it's over, it's not exactly something you're psyched that you listened to.

Things are toned down from here. Jessica goes into Everyday See You, which is a mellow love ballad. At first listen, it sounds a little bit bland, but amazingly it gets stuck in your head. It has a laid-back Sunday morning vibe that makes you just want to lay back in the sun. This is one of those tracks that shows Jessica's current life situation: Crazy in love. This is surprisingly good.

Underneath is the first real power ballad on this album, something that could have been on Sweet Kisses. The first time I listened to this song (as with a majority of the rest of the album), nothing really stood out to me, but the more I listened to it, the more I loved it. The lyrics are heartfelt (Underneath I can feel you move through me... ) and the melody is haunting. The only bad thing is it is a little bit dull, but after a few listen, it will be... for lack of a better word, irresistable.

The highlight of this album for me is track 8, You Don't Have To Let Go. This song starts out with a soft piano and Jessica's voice at it's best - tame. Many times she has been accused of over singing, and this song blows that argument out of the water. The lyrics are beautiful to this song - almost anyone can identify with them - and the piano melody is gorgeous. All the days that you gave, all the moments you saved me, praying for my life, sacrificed just to make me who I am on my own, you don't have to let go... This is ultimately my favorite song on In This Skin, the standout track - it shows Jessica's awesome range and talent to put all of her emotion into a song.

Although this album doesn't technically include any interludes, Loving You is almost like one, with its minimal lyrics and repeating hook. That taken into consideration, it is far from something you'd expect from a girl who ripped off John Mellencamp. It has a sexy groove, even if it is quite forgettable.

The title track is a poppy / countryish / summery type of song, with those cliche "love yourself" lyrics. I hate to say it this way, but this is Jessica's Beautiful. Even though it is a little corny, it's got a good hook, and it's a nice song that you can sing along to. Love me for me, feel beautiful in this skin... It's a pretty decent track, and will probably be a big hit for her if ever released.

The album closes with Be, a cute midtempo about what Jessica's main theme throughout is - love. This song creates a nice mental picture (better than Newlyweds, that's for sure) of Jessica and her husband deeply in love. I can really see us having babies, walking through the park and being lazy... This is a nice little pop song and a nice way to end the album on a high note.

Overall, In This Skin is not the kind of album that you'll fall in love with the first time you listen to it. It takes a few listens to appreciate the songs, but after a bit, you will. Another thing you have to know about this album is that you can't expect a musical masterpiece - this is no White Album, it's not going to change music, but if you want a good pop album with a talented vocalist who loves being in love, Jessica Simpson's your girl.

Recommended
Yes
Old 01-02-04, 07:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

[....] If you dont have it, it means you suck. Live with that. [....]
Unacceptable.

Closing thread.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk