Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Rancid song get aired unedited on WHFS - shocking!!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-19-03, 10:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well that was a complete shock to hear on HFS this afternoon at a quarter to four, playing a new song (Track 3 - can't remember the name) off of the new Rancid album: complete with three F words and one MF (UNCENSORED - guess the FCC will be down their throats for this) - scandelous. Did the DJ even bother to listen to the song before airing it - guess not? Wow, ballsey, but a definate ear catcher.

Last edited by Giles; 08-19-03 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
shocking.

Have you heard the cd? How do you like it?
Old 08-19-03, 10:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
havent yet heard the whole CD, but I did like the new song - saw them a number of years ago at the Black Cat here in DC, that show was insane.
Old 08-19-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw them about four years ago at the Horde Fest (I think) and they were excellent.
Old 08-19-03, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Indestructible' is a wonderful album and their best effort since '...And Out Come The Wolves', which is in my top 10 favorite albums of the '90s.

Everything I read about this year's Warped Tour implied that Rancid stole the show. Now I'm upset I didn't make the effort to see them. I would be much happier if they went on tour themselves or with just a couple other bands. The Warped Tour was too big a committment for me at this time in my life.

That being said, uncensored songs on the radio are hardly shocking. Classic Rock stations frequently play "Who Are You" by The Who which contains no less than a few instances of the phrase, "Just tell me who the f**k are you?". I've heard Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" played uncensored numerous times ("Seemed a harmless, little f**k...").

I assume that there is an edited version of this Rancid song for the radio and the uncensored one was actually played. A few years ago, when "Heaven Is A Half-Pipe" came out, I remember late one night/early one morning, WXDX in Pittsburgh played the uncensored version of it, and I was at all the F bombs. The board operator had to have been asleep at the wheel, because that should have definitely been pulled off the air. Funny stuff.
Old 08-19-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's right, I saw them at the Warped Fest a few years back, not the Horde Fest.
Old 08-20-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dc101 used to play songs uncut during the late night hours.
also, money by pink floyd always gets played uncut
Old 08-20-03, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525

Another good example. Profanity on radio is far from rare. I doubt the FCC even knows WHFS did this. And they probably wouldn't care, even if they did.
Old 08-20-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not illegal to say a profanity on the air, since the broadcasts are live, and things happen. It is however frowned upon, and as such there is a penalty for it. The FCC will fine a radio station for each bad word they say for each person that complains.

So, usually they will sneak a bad word in here or there sometime after rush hour or late at night. If you are listening to the radio at that hour, I doubt you care about profanity. Naughty words are only a problem when someone complains.
Old 08-20-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The FCC provides a "safe harbor" from midnight to 6am where you can pretty much say anything you want without restriction. Most stations have their own policies against profanity, even at those times, but the FCC would not issue a fine for anything done between those hours.
Old 08-20-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525

"Who are you" usually does, too.
Old 08-20-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only way the FCC will get down their necks is if a complaint is filed against them, otherwise it is no big deal. Maybe the hardly legendary HFS is trying to stir things up...