DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Rancid song get aired unedited on WHFS - shocking!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/312443-new-rancid-song-get-aired-unedited-whfs-shocking.html)

Giles 08-19-03 10:25 PM

New Rancid song get aired unedited on WHFS - shocking!!

Well that was a complete shock to hear on HFS this afternoon at a quarter to four, playing a new song (Track 3 - can't remember the name) off of the new Rancid album: complete with three F words and one MF (UNCENSORED - guess the FCC will be down their throats for this) - scandelous. Did the DJ even bother to listen to the song before airing it - guess not? Wow, ballsey, but a definate ear catcher.

Buford T Pusser 08-19-03 10:41 PM

shocking.

Have you heard the cd? How do you like it?

Giles 08-19-03 10:46 PM

havent yet heard the whole CD, but I did like the new song - saw them a number of years ago at the Black Cat here in DC, that show was insane.

Buford T Pusser 08-19-03 11:03 PM

I saw them about four years ago at the Horde Fest (I think) and they were excellent.

Bust 08-19-03 11:22 PM

'Indestructible' is a wonderful album and their best effort since '...And Out Come The Wolves', which is in my top 10 favorite albums of the '90s.

Everything I read about this year's Warped Tour implied that Rancid stole the show. Now I'm upset I didn't make the effort to see them. I would be much happier if they went on tour themselves or with just a couple other bands. The Warped Tour was too big a committment for me at this time in my life.

That being said, uncensored songs on the radio are hardly shocking. Classic Rock stations frequently play "Who Are You" by The Who which contains no less than a few instances of the phrase, "Just tell me who the f**k are you?". I've heard Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" played uncensored numerous times ("Seemed a harmless, little f**k...").

I assume that there is an edited version of this Rancid song for the radio and the uncensored one was actually played. A few years ago, when "Heaven Is A Half-Pipe" came out, I remember late one night/early one morning, WXDX in Pittsburgh played the uncensored version of it, and I was rotfl at all the F bombs. The board operator had to have been asleep at the wheel, because that should have definitely been pulled off the air. Funny stuff.

Buford T Pusser 08-19-03 11:35 PM

That's right, I saw them at the Warped Fest a few years back, not the Horde Fest.

Rypro 525 08-20-03 12:00 AM

dc101 used to play songs uncut during the late night hours.
also, money by pink floyd always gets played uncut

Bust 08-20-03 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525

Another good example. Profanity on radio is far from rare. I doubt the FCC even knows WHFS did this. And they probably wouldn't care, even if they did.

Brain Stew 08-20-03 06:28 AM

It's not illegal to say a profanity on the air, since the broadcasts are live, and things happen. It is however frowned upon, and as such there is a penalty for it. The FCC will fine a radio station for each bad word they say for each person that complains.

So, usually they will sneak a bad word in here or there sometime after rush hour or late at night. If you are listening to the radio at that hour, I doubt you care about profanity. Naughty words are only a problem when someone complains.

Numanoid 08-20-03 10:35 AM

The FCC provides a "safe harbor" from midnight to 6am where you can pretty much say anything you want without restriction. Most stations have their own policies against profanity, even at those times, but the FCC would not issue a fine for anything done between those hours.

Aghama 08-20-03 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525

"Who are you" usually does, too.

KnightLerxst 08-20-03 02:14 PM

The only way the FCC will get down their necks is if a complaint is filed against them, otherwise it is no big deal. Maybe the hardly legendary HFS is trying to stir things up...