Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Song that got you into heavy metal? [or hard/heavy rock]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Song that got you into heavy metal? [or hard/heavy rock]

Old 08-12-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Song that got you into heavy metal?

I have been listening to metal faithfully since 1982. I was wondering what song was the one that opened the door to this genre of music for the other metalheads on this board. For me, I saw the videos for "Another Thing Comin" by Priest and "Run to the Hills" by Maiden. Then shortly afterward, a friend of mine introduced me to the Diary of a Madman album. From there I started listening to a variety of bands and started getting into thrash when I bought "Kill Em All", "Fistful of Metal" and "All For One." Over the years I got into industrial, techno and classic rock, but still continued to listen to metal the whole time. I don't think I'll ever stop...
Old 08-12-03, 10:10 AM

For me, it was the song "Last in Line" by Dio and Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" album.

Ironically enough, I first got into these at a church retreat.
Old 08-12-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It wasn't a song but a "look".

The first time I saw a picture of KISS I was hooked. I know they're aren't really Metal so I'll say that Iron Maiden...their music and their album covers pushed me the rest of the way into Rock/Metal. Of course this instantly turned me into a freak....being the only Black guy in a mostly Black private school that liked ROCK/METAL.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-13-03 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-12-03, 10:50 AM

Metallica "One".
Old 08-12-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Aces High by IRON MAIDEN

I had the tape given to me as a gift and hadn't listened to it yet, then in music class in 7th grade someone brought it in and the teacher played it when we were studying song structure. All the metal lightbulbs in my head went off at once, and the rest was history.
Old 08-12-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Enter Sandman did it for me.
Old 08-12-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My first record, YES record, I owned was Kiss Love Gun, at the tender ags of 5. I also stole my mom's copy of double platinum. Maiden took me to harder metal, and Kill Em All took me to speed metal.
Old 08-12-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keeping in mind that "Hard Rock" has changed over time, but "Paranoid" & "Iron Man" by Ozzy Osbourne did it for me.

I've never been a big hard rock fan, but did enjoy some harder bands, like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, WASP, Judas Priest, etc.
Old 08-12-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Heat
Keeping in mind that "Hard Rock" has changed over time, but "Paranoid" & "Iron Man" by Ozzy Osbourne did it for me.

I've never been a big hard rock fan, but did enjoy some harder bands, like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, WASP, Judas Priest, etc.
Masters of Reality/Sabbath started it....then Ace of Spades/Motohead many years later really did it.
Old 08-12-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Early on, it was tunes by Def Leppard from On Through the Night (Hello America and It Could be You).

Later, the radio station I listened to played a lot of stuff like Ratt and Dokken. (1984/85)

Then, on a church retreat, I was introduced to Metallica and Anthrax (around the Master of Puppets/Among the Living time).

I've been listening to metal consistently since.
Old 08-12-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was the whole Master of Puppets album that did it for me. I was blown away from beginning to end.
Old 08-12-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was, actually, Iron Maiden's album covers.

To my then ten/eleven/twelve year old eyes, the covers of those classic Maiden records (Iron Maiden, Killers, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind) were just the coolest looking things ever.

Now most albums of the time had a big John Denver head or something on them.

But those Maiden records... with the Ghoul (who I would later learn was named Eddie) and the Devil on the cover... just had this almost supernatural lure about them. I just HAD to know what was inside.

And from then, I disovered Priest and Ozzy and Dio and Motley Crue.

And a few years later, I picked up this record called "Ride the Lightning" from some band I'd never heard...
Old 08-12-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smokin' in the Boy's Room opened me up to Motley Crue...

so I checked out more of their stuff... LOVED 'EM

Is Motley Crue heavy metal though?
Old 08-13-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" album lead to Skid Row's self titled album lead to Metallica's "One" lead to listening to KNAC (a L.A. metal station that doesn't exist anymore) lead to Suicidal Tendencies and Faith No More lead to Metallica lead to Anthrax lead to Megadeth lead to Slayer, Sepultura, Iron Maiden, Fear Factory, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Danzig, Death, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Type O Negative, Marilyn Manson, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, .... needless to say, I've ended up a well rounded music listener who doesn't listen to what's played on the radio, but not altogether underground either.
Old 08-13-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" album lead to Skid Row's self titled album lead to Metallica's "One" lead to listening to KNAC (a L.A. metal station that doesn't exist anymore)
I wasn't sure if you knew this, but KNAC lives on the net at http://www.knac.com - I usually listen once a day to get my fix. They play everything from old school to new metal.

Thanks to all that have posted so far. It is cool to hear the stories...
Old 08-13-03, 01:27 AM

For me it was Motorhead's "Orgasmatron"
Old 08-13-03, 02:15 AM
Suspended

Master of Puppets
Old 08-13-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to be a top 40 wenie, till my freinds at the time gave me Hemispheres by Rush; I've been listening to hard rock ever since.
Old 08-13-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

'80s metal was Maiden's "The Trooper"
'70s metal was probably Led Zep's Bring it on Home/Moby Dick. I had heard Zep on the radio before, sure, but had never heard this doozy until I put my mom's copy of II on for myself. When it began blaring out, especially after that subdued, bluesy opening, I was bouncin' off the walls.
'60s hard rock was Hendrix
Old 08-13-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
Enter Sandman did it for me.
Ditto here. I was twelve when I first heard it and I've since become a huge fan of metal.
Old 08-13-03, 09:00 PM

Pantera's Cemetary Gates
Old 08-13-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really remember what the first metal band I got hooked on was, but it was probably Quiet Riot. They were big on the radio, and were very accessible. As I started to explore both rock radio and the record stores more, I was quickly drawn towards metal of all flavors, from glam metal like the Crue to harder stuff like Sabbath. I do remember Iron Maiden's "Piece of Mind" being one of my first "blind buys", as they received zero airplay. I also remember being blown away like nothing had blown me away before. I was hooked.

I had a few friends who liked some metal, but no one was really into it like I was. I think my best friend just sort of put up with it. I do remember some clueless bozo referring to Krokus as "punk" once. Of course, at the time, I had only vague notions of what punk was, but I sure as hell knew Krokus wasn't it.

By the end of college, metal itself had started to run its course. All the excitement was for bands like Guns and Roses. I liked them, but didn't like the direction they seemed to be moving. And of course, being exposed to things like REM and the New York Dolls (and finally finding out what punk really was) didn't help metal matters much.

By the early 90's metal was pretty much dead. It just seemed to dry up and blow away. I wandered around through various genres for the next few years, trying out alternative, 70's punk, and even jazz. Nothing really stuck.

Then one day, out of the blue, I saw remastered Iron Maiden CDs in a local record store. These were the original Castle 2 CD releases. I snapped up Piece of Mind and Powerslave, and it was 1984 all over again.

Not long after that, a long conversation with a friend about how there was no good metal being recorded any more, and "what ever happened to" a bunch of bands from an old Hit Parader ROIR compilation cassette, ended up with a trip online looking for Jag Panzer. Well, I found them listed on Amazon, along with a bunch of bands with interesting names like Hammerfall , Blind Guardian, and Iced Earth.

It was even more like coming home than getting the remastered maiden CDs. Those are great, and I can only hope every classic metal band gets remasted properly, but to find new bands, making brand new music in a style I've come to realize is who I am musically is like a dream come true. Sure, no one is really breaking new ground anymore, but so what? How many blues artists are doing anything other than a Buddy Guy/SRV impersonation?
Old 08-13-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

heavy metal: A variety of Metallica songs.
underground/death/black metal: At The Gates- Cold
Old 08-14-03, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got into Metal when I bought Def Leppard's Hysteria. Every song on it was great. I loved Animal and Pour Some Sugar on Me. I quickly moved on to buying some old 70's KISS tapes and early Bon Jovi stuff... shortly after that I discovered MTVs Headbangers Ball and around the same time my local rock station started playing a great metal radio show called The Metal Shop and I started buying everything. I really loved it all from glam pop metal like Warrant, Roxx Gang and Firehouse, to the classic stuff like Iron Maiden, to the thrash and speed metal like Overkill, Anthrax and Testament. However KISS became my favorite and I soon set out on collecting all thier albums.

I was in college wearing my Megadeth, Motley Crue & Dokken T shirts when grunge hit and metal died overnight, I really didn't know what to do. I hated Nirvana and Soundgarden, I just didn't get it at all. suddenly all the fun and showmanship of 80's metal bands were out the window and it became cool to stand in one place and mumble at the floor about how depressed you are. I would still buy new CDs from those old bands and my friends would say "Dokken?? I didn't know they were still around."

Is Motley Crue heavy metal though?
The first time I saw a picture of KISS I was hooked. I know they're aren't really Metal
everytime a Metal thread starts it ends in a debate over what is or isn't metal. Motley Crue and KISS?? Hell yeah they are Metal! When did they not become metal?? KISS (along with Sabbath and a few others) nearly invented metal!! Don't let all those "nu metal" people change what is or isn't metal.
Old 08-14-03, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by turborobb

everytime a Metal thread starts it ends in a debate over what is or isn't metal. Motley Crue and KISS?? Hell yeah they are Metal! When did they not become metal?? KISS (along with Sabbath and a few others) nearly invented metal!! Don't let all those "nu metal" people change what is or isn't metal.

Kiss is NOT Metal. Sorry dude. Motley Crue is closer to metal than Kiss...but they're not Metal either. IMHO, they both fall under HARD ROCK.

Even Ozzy said that Black Sabbath isn't Metal. He says he prefers to be under the name HARD ROCK.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.