Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Song that got you into heavy metal? [or hard/heavy rock]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mordred
It was the whole Master of Puppets album that did it for me. I was blown away from beginning to end.
this is the album the re-introduced me to metal. i gave up all the hair crap when i started skate boarding as a kid and got into punk/new wave. then some gave me a copy of "master of puppets" - that got me into metallica, SOD, anthrax, slayer, nuclear assault, etc. etc. - basically the whole SF/NYC thrash scene. in 1986 i listened to this and laughed at how ridiculous hair metal was.
Old 02-25-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome To The Jungle by GN'R
Old 02-25-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by turborobb
I was in college wearing my Megadeth, Motley Crue & Dokken T shirts when grunge hit and metal died overnight, I really didn't know what to do. I hated Nirvana and Soundgarden, I just didn't get it at all. suddenly all the fun and showmanship of 80's metal bands were out the window and it became cool to stand in one place and mumble at the floor about how depressed you are. I would still buy new CDs from those old bands and my friends would say "Dokken?? I didn't know they were still around.
Metal didn't die overnight. It didn't die at all. When the grunge hit quality metal releases were still coming out. They are still coming out to this day.

Glam rock died sure. Motley Crue and Kiss aren't metal, they are hard rock.
Old 02-25-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think 80's hair metal was a dying breed with or without Grunge. Grunge was just the final impetus to put the nail in the coffin. I always say "to each his own" but in regards the cheese/hair metal craze, despite a few actual good musicians, the gimmick of basing your band's career on image (big hair, spandex, and chicks)instead of talent, just wasn't gonna last no matter what type of music.
Old 02-25-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by woofman
I think 80's hair metal was a dying breed with or without Grunge. Grunge was just the final impetus to put the nail in the coffin. I always say "to each his own" but in regards the cheese/hair metal craze, despite a few actual good musicians, the gimmick of basing your band's career on image (big hair, spandex, and chicks)instead of talent, just wasn't gonna last no matter what type of music.
Plus 80% of those bands sounded exactly the same.
Old 02-26-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ditto on KISS. Their look sucked me in as a kid. Wasn't until my late teens that I understood what their songs like nothin to lose ment. From there I brached into thrash (Anthrax/Raven), AOR(Waysted), and Hair Metal.
Old 11-07-04, 02:36 PM

From someone in the under 20 camp... KMFDM - Juke Joint Jezebel.
Old 11-07-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

KISS: "Rock And Roll All Nite"
AC/DC: the whole "Back In Black" album
Old 11-07-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"master of puppets" Metallica
Old 11-07-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Metallica: "Enter Sandman"
Old 11-07-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard a cough at the beginning of a song by some band called Black Sabbath that took me down that road.

80 percent of what I see here is not even metal, not even close, nor will ever be metal. I dig some Crue, but c'mon....not metal...Europe? oh my lord, Kiss? ... Enter Sandman? That's when most people who dug metal and Metallica said no more of (IMFHO) crap from that band. GNR metal? wtf?

Ugh!
Old 11-07-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by ThickAsABrick
From someone in the under 20 camp... KMFDM - Juke Joint Jezebel.
Sweet, a cool new member that actually uses the search function before posting. You rock dude!

For me:

Pull Me Under - Dream Theater
Old 11-07-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pantera is what really got me in to metal/hard rock.
Old 11-08-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Flashback
80 percent of what I see here is not even metal, not even close, nor will ever be metal. I dig some Crue, but c'mon....not metal...Europe? oh my lord, Kiss? ... Enter Sandman? That's when most people who dug metal and Metallica said no more of (IMFHO) crap from that band. GNR metal? wtf?

Ugh!

OR "hard rock".

KISS, latter Metallica, & GnR are DEFINITELY "hard rock".

If you just want to know the "metal" song that got me into metal, it would have to be Saxon "Princess Of the Night" back when MTV first started. If that's not metal enough for you, "Buried Alive" from Venom back in '82.

edit to add: or "Doomed By The Living Dead" by Mercyful Fate (was that '81?)

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 11-08-04 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rainbow in the dark
Old 11-08-04, 12:38 PM

This is one that I can't forget. I had a copy of a The Go-Gos album on tape. My friend took it from me and erased it and put on Motely Crue Shout at the Devil. From that day on, I was a Metal Head. I immediately started listening to more of the mainstream metal like Def Leppard Pyromania. Then I adventured on to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (Screaming for Vegence and Defenders of the Faith were two great albums!!!), Metallica, and so on.
Old 11-08-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
OR "hard rock".

KISS, latter Metallica, & GnR are DEFINITELY "hard rock".

If you just want to know the "metal" song that got me into metal, it would have to be Saxon "Princess Of the Night" back when MTV first started. If that's not metal enough for you, "Buried Alive" from Venom back in '82.

edit to add: or "Doomed By The Living Dead" by Mercyful Fate (was that '81?)
original topic was metal...added hard rock after. What is your deal coming after me? did I bug you?...and no, Saxon would never be a fave for me...Venom is okay and FW/KD are not my cup either but 82 is too early for me...I was a H.S. pup still. So be it .... I worked with my buds at shows with Fates/Gothic Slam/Overkill/SOD/BioHzd etc etc ... used to hang with Billy Milano ... so the question is what?
Old 11-08-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fact of the matter was most people didnt listen to their kiddie pop shit then just bust out a metal head...It usually started with hard rock then progressed from there. The first metal band I was into was Slayer, and the song was Chemical Warfare. It was on this Metal Blade compilation I stole from some kid, and it blew me away.
Old 11-08-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
The fact of the matter was most people didnt listen to their kiddie pop shit then just bust out a metal head...It usually started with hard rock then progressed from there. The first metal band I was into was Slayer, and the song was Chemical Warfare. It was on this Metal Blade compilation I stole from some kid, and it blew me away.
Good point. I first got into Poison, but they are hard rock, so I listed my first metal experience.
Old 11-08-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Evolution of a Metal Head:

-Got into Kiss really young around 5 or 6, Destroyer was the first album I owned became a lifetime member of the Kiss Army.

-Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" drew me in because I really liked Godzilla the monster.

-Saw Alice Cooper On Tv and was like wow he's just like Kiss.

-Ac/Dc Back N Black Released everyone was into it, 2nd band I really got into. Brought the abums into grade school to play during lunch.

-Saw Ozzy Obourne Diary of a Madman saw he was a really scary man, and discovered Black Sabbath and remebered the song "Iron Man" my babysitter used to listen to.

- 'Outgrew' Kiss

-Watched the Judas Priest Concert on MTV and was blown away. Became my new favorite band.

-Saw Kiss remove the makeup, and didn't realize that wasn't Ace in the band... Got back into Kiss

- Swept up by the metal Golden age got into Twisted Sister Motley Crue and Def Leppard.

- went to 1st concert as soon as I was old enough to drive, Def Leppard and Tesla.

- Bought albums by every mainstream metal band that was promoted on MTV.... but stayed away from all those 'speed metal' bands like Metallica and Megadeth who were just too heavy for my taste.

- Got into Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and the rest of the thrash movement.

- got my own Metal radio show in college, so I could push my tastes on everyon else.

-Grunge came and went but I stayed true to Metal

- Denounced all the wannabe newer bands claiming to be old school only.

- Started to get into New school bands like Godsmack, Powerman 5000 and Shadows Fall.

\m/OO\m/

Last edited by cactusoly; 11-08-04 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My cousin saved me from a life of listening to shitty music. I was listening to Showwaddywaddy fer Christ's sake, and Mud. If it wasn't for my cousin, Brendan, I'd probably be listening to Ashlee, and Jessica, and Britney, and J-Lo (thankfully I only want to see them nude, not listen to their warblings).

First record my cousin let me listen to was Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies." I was in love. Then I heard "Smoke On The Water," by Deep Purple, then "Black Sabbath," by, Black Sabbath,then Rush "2112." Later I searched out other bands and found Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Rainbow, Judas Priest,Dio, Saxon, Lone Star ("Bells Of Berlin still fuckin rocks), Kiss, Raven, Metallica, Megadeth, Armoured Saint, Anvil, and so many other bands. At 42 years of age Hard Rock and Metal is still the music for me(though I can't bang my head anymore like I used to. Dizzy spells ).

It's funny, when I came to the US 20 years ago, my penpal took me to the Coliseum to see AC/DC.She couldn't get us seats together so she was up in one of the rows and I was seated front row.She commented to me after the show that a lot of people were pointing and laughing at me. You know how they play tracks while the show was getting set up? I was headbanging away. Shit, I was having a grand time, I didn't give a damn.
Old 11-09-04, 11:54 AM

Smoke on the Water, baby! (the live version)

Yes, the song has become ridiculously overplayed, but I'll never forget the impact of hearing it for the first time on my cousin's 8-track player, back in the very early 80s.

And Deep Purple is still my favorite band, even though I've drifted more towards industrial and dark ambient music since then.
Old 11-09-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One by Metallica sealed the deal for me. Awesome song.
Old 11-10-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

"Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" by B.J. Thomas.

When I heard this song as a child, I realized there had to be something out there with more of an edge than this namby-pamby, flower-picking, feel-good crap. Thus I began my journey into the harder stuff.

Thanks, B.J.
Old 11-10-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Angel Witch's s/t album

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.