Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Waters or Gilmour, which dvd concert should I get? (Pink Floyd members)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: which should I get
Waters
23.08%
Gilmour
15.38%
both
38.46%
neither.
7.69%
just wait for a pink floyd reunion.
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the most part, they are the same material, would I be missing much if i picked up one or the other. I was gonna pick up the waters dvd, since well, he was pink floyd in the 70's, he wrote the songs, did the bass ect, but then realized that Gilmour helped write some of the more well known songs (wish you were here, comfortably numb) and is an amazing guitar player, so I'm kind of stuck here. Also who was the main lead singer for Pink Floyd or was it more of an alternate between songs. (Is Gilmour still that heavy, since I saw his Pink Floyd Echos on vh1 classic, and he looked a bit heavy , but since that was years ago, hows he look now.
Old 08-05-03, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want both. It's my understanding they have an agreement on who performs what songs. So if you want to see as many as you can on dvd......
Old 08-05-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They both have their charms. Waters' DVD has some of his solo stuff, which is really pretty good. And there ARE some gems to be found in the post-waters floyd stuff that gilmour does.
Old 08-05-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jkcarter
You may want both. It's my understanding they have an agreement on who performs what songs. So if you want to see as many as you can on dvd......
I noticed that both of them have similar song set lists.
Old 08-05-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
save your money and get the Dark Side Of The Moon: Classic Albums dvd coming August 26th

Old 08-05-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw something about that on htf, whats on it, does it have like the making of the album, does it have any complete songs on it?
Old 08-06-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sense Post-Floyd rancor coming up in this thread. No reunion with Waters will ever happen so stop hoping.

Like Lennon-McCartney, too good to last...

(BTW I would get Waters 1st, Gilmour 2nd, but BOTH. And if the choice was theoretically between those 2 and Live At Pompeii...no choice allowed. Pompeii.)
Old 08-06-03, 01:48 AM

I say get both:

David sings Fat Old Sun! When was the last time The Pink Floyd played that song? And David's concert seems more unplugged and intimate.

Roger sings all of his hit solo songs. And it's pretty theatrical for being Roger and not Pink Floyd.

I'm still waiting for the Pink Floyd dvds and what about the Dark Side of the Moon, first time I heard of this?
Old 08-06-03, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” Classic Album is the creative story behind the masterpiece: “Dark Side Of The Moon”. “Dark Side Of The Moon” transformed Pink Floyd from art house favorites to global, stadium superstars. Prior to 1973, Pink Floyd maintained a relentless gigging schedule and by the time they came to record “Dark Side Of The Moon” had already created many of the basic tracks. “Dark Side Of The Moon” would be the first Pink Floyd (post Syd Barrett) album where Roger Waters would supply all the lyrics around a concept: The Circle of Life. With the timeless qualities of its production and musicality, allied to the hypnotic evocation of its central themes - alienation, paranoia, madness, war and death, “Dark Side Of The Moon” would become the album that would dominate the 70’s and 80’s (with a record number of 741 consecutive weeks in the Billboard 200). This program takes an in depth look at the making of the 1973 album. All four members of the band Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright are featured in exclusive interviews.

Roger, David and Richard play songs and demonstrate themes from the album. Alan Parsons (the original engineer) takes you through the multi track tapes giving a unique insight into the musical fabric of the record and the program is illustrated throughout with archive footage.

“Dark Side Of The Moon” with its combination of great songs, inventive effects and one of the best known sleeves ever, tapped into the world’s collective subconscious and became a landmark in Rock history and a truly Classic Album.

Available Fall 2003!

Chapter Selections - Main Program
1. Introduction
2. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
3. Echoes
4. Breathe
5. On The Run
6. Time
7. The Great Gig In The Sky
8. Money
9. Us And Them
10. Brain Damage
11. Eclipse

DVD ONLY Bonus FOOTAGE
1. Brain Damage
2. Money
3. Us And Them
4. Waters’ World View
5. Breathe
6. Time
7. Waters On Rock ‘n’ Roll
8. Chris Thomas
9. Gilmour’s Guitars - Breathe
10. Gilmour’s Guitars - The Great Gig In The Sky
11. Gilmour’s Guitars - Us And Them
12. Gerry Has The Last Word
http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/cgi-b...t=ST&f=17&t=12
Old 08-06-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow that looks awesome. I have the Who's Next version which is cool but way to condensed. Why they couldn't have included more interview material.
Old 10-02-04, 07:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About as likely as a Zep reunion....

<small>
Originally posted by Jepthah
No reunion with Waters will ever happen so stop hoping.
</small>

Old 10-02-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't seen the Waters, but the Gilmour is excellent. Yes, he's older & fatter, but he's still singing & playing well. It's much more intimate than a Pink Floyd show & he is clearly having a good time. You can preview the disc at the official site: www.pinkfloyd.co.uk
Old 10-03-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

By all means, pick up this DVD. You can probably find it for less than $15 at most retailers. The 5.1 sound is phenomenal. Taken from Roger's 2000 ITF tour. There's lots of Floyd material as well.
Old 10-03-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Thanks for the article, benedict. I might possibly shit my pants if they would all make up and tour again.
Old 10-03-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That rumo(u)r gets going about every 2-3 years like clockwork. It's vaguely depressing to see people buy into it over, and over, and over.

It was bullshit in the past and it's bullshit now. The British press are bottom-feeding swine.

Waters is perfectly content doing his solo stuff and he has a lot on his plate including the thatrical production of The Wall.

As far as the other three they're not even particularly interested in resurrecting Floyd right now or possibly ever. And the money question? They're all already so ridiculously wealthy from just catalogue album sales alone (hundreds of thousands of copies a year still, probably) they don't need to lift a finger.