Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone getting MISFITS - Project 1950 (w/ free DVD)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-28-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess theyre doing a kind of Metallica - St. Crap deal. The CD looks interesing since its a bunch of covers. Im only weary of Jerry's vocals cause Ive never heard him sing. Im a huge fan of the Michael Graves songs though, and I think Jerry does the song Monster Mash, so hes not that bad if its him. But can anyone confirm any of this.

Plus the DVD has like a 10 song live show and some video/s. I just dont know the track listing on it. But its sound very cool and for $12, you cant go wrong.
Old 07-28-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not unless Glenn Danzig is back with them.
Old 07-29-03, 07:46 PM

Im ashamed at what Jerry Only has done to the Misfits name.
This CD should be called the "Jerry Only project" not The Misfits.
Jerry is the only Misfits member on this record along with several others from various punk bands,so why call it the Misfits.
Jerry has took the Misfits name & exploited it,turned it into a cash cow selling everything from bobble heads to shot glasses.
I will never support this crap.
Old 07-30-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
Not unless Glenn Danzig is back with them.

I actually bought a post-Danzig Misfits record years ago outta curiosity. Man, it was horrible.

Did anyone else hear "London Dungeon" playing as background music on VH1's Pop Culture show? It came on when they were talking about Harry Potter. Even though I heard "American Nightmare" in a Vans commercial, I was still shocked to hear a song in a VH1 special.

I don't wish any bad luck on Jerry, but I hope he drops the Misfits thing. The band died when Glenn left. He needs to move on.
Old 07-30-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
I agree, this is not The Misfits. (but I admit, I bought the Jerry and Doyle action figures). I bought the first "Newfits" album, American Psycho and was not overly impressed, and have been kind of wary about buying anything from them since.

Wow, "London Dungeon" on VH1? One of my favourite songs.
Old 07-30-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Graves is a lot better singer than people give him credit.

I might pick this up, but this isn't the Misfits. This version even plays Black Flag and Ramones covers. It should be the punk rock all stars or something.
Old 07-30-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the CD and I think its pretty damn good. Theres only 10 songs though and that sucks as! There shoulda been alot more. But its kinda worth it for the DVD. I think Graves was a great singer and that Danzig sucked. Maybe I heard the wrong songs though. Can you guys reccomend some Misfits songs with Danzig singing. The ones I heard were the ones Metallica covered and I think they sucked.

Oh, and Ramone does some great drumming on this CD!

By the way, what happened to Doyle? Hes Jerry's brother, why isnt he in the band now???
Old 07-30-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ravenous
I got the CD and I think its pretty damn good. Theres only 10 songs though and that sucks as! There shoulda been alot more. But its kinda worth it for the DVD. I think Graves was a great singer and that Danzig sucked. Maybe I heard the wrong songs though. Can you guys reccomend some Misfits songs with Danzig singing. The ones I heard were the ones Metallica covered and I think they sucked.

By the way, what happened to Doyle? Hes Jerry's brother, why isnt he in the band now???
Well, if you heard "Die, Die My Darling" and didn't like it, you probably won't like the others. That's one of their best songs. A few of my favorites that I'd suggest checking out are:
Death Comes Ripping
Bullet
Who Killed Marilyn?
Horror Hotel

Pick up "EVILIVE".

I try keep up with Glenn's stuff, but I don't anything about Jerry & Doyle. I don't follow Jerry's Misfits at all.
Old 07-30-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I actually kinda like American Psycho and Famous Monsters. No, it's not the 'original' Misfits, but taken as what I percieve them as: an homage to both the originals, the original's fans, and of course many schlocky B [and C] horror movies, they're pretty enjoyable [yet still over-the-top, in some cases, in a GWARlike way: "If I cut off your arms and cut off your legs
Would you still love me anyway?
If you're bound and you're gagged, draped and displayed
Would you still love me anyway?"--I hated the movie that inspired this, but I love that song.] The fact that I can make out most of the lyrics is also a bonus, and the music, I believe, while still 'loud fast rules', is more accessible. The music actually seems somewhat musical at time, and the songs, im some cases, are actually 'sung' [Forbidden Zone, Satursday Night]. My wife even tolerated listening to them on a road trip one time [it's really easy to play the 'You play one CD, I'll play one CD' game, when your cd's all MP3 disks ; )]
Based on the one video I've seen with the original New lineup, they seem to be having fun with it. Certainly that's probably not what the original band was about, but again, I see the new misfits as a supplement/homage, not a replacement for Danzig's line up. [That said, yes, the new group doesn't seem to take themselves too seriously nowadays, but then again, it seems like Danzig himself takes himself a little too seriously.]
Re: Project 1950: Welcome to the world of 'punk', home of the 2 minute track/25 minute album...This album to me seems to fit in the 'novelty' file, where I'd listen to it once, then rarely again. I do *sometimes* like covers [one of my favorite albums is Bryan Ferry's 'These Foolish Things'], and I like oldies, but this album might be a one trick pony [like Hayseed Dixie, f'instance.] However, if anyone has any specific details on the DVD that accompanies it [Ravenous, have you watched it yet?] , I might pick up the set mostly for that.
Old 07-30-03, 12:09 PM
Cool New Member

Check out Static Age and you'll see why people like the Danzig's Misfits so much.
Old 07-30-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you guys reccomend some Misfits songs with Danzig singing. The ones I heard were the ones Metallica covered and I think they sucked.

While some like their more hardcore sounding songs, I prefer their more melodic ones like:

London Dungeon
Astro Zombies
Hybrid Moments
Where Eagles Dare

As far as whole albums, I think "Walk Among Us" is their most solid.
Old 07-30-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just pick this up, it's all THE MISFITS you need :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2252
Old 07-30-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I bought the coffin box set the day it came out.
Unfortunately, the CD cases are a bit fragile and I broke one of them. They can't be easily replaced like a normal CD case.
Old 07-30-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
I don't wish any bad luck on Jerry, but I hope he drops the Misfits thing. The band died when Glenn left. He needs to move on.

For get that new stuff and pick both of these up:

Misfits box set

Samhain box set
Old 07-30-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is that Samhain box set? I was kinda putting off buying it because I already had all the studio CDs, so all I was really gaining was the live CD and video. Whats the quality of the live stuff like? I've had a bootleg video of a Samhain concert for years but it has terrible audio/video quality. If you aren't familiar with the songs, the audio is close to just white noise. But what could I do, Samhain videos weren't exactly common at the time I got it.
Old 07-31-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
I have the Samhain box. I was a little disappointed in it, though.

First, it's a HUGE box -- like twice the size of the Misfits box.

And in it, it contains one videocassette (bleh - should've been a DVD), and five CDs in cardboard sleeves. That's right, no jewel cases, just cheap, fragile, scratch-up-your-CDs cardboard sleeves.

The quality of the live material is about what you'd expect, IE, pretty poor. I only watched the VHS once a couple of years ago, so the mind may be playing tricks on me. The live CD fares a bit better, but I wouldn't recommend anyone shell out the cash for the boxed set unless they either 1) don't have the studio albums or 2) are a serious collector.

And the comic book in the box bites, too.
Old 07-31-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I expected as much. I think I'll stick to my original CDs (at least they came in jewel cases).