Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

First[?] LIVE Prince DVD 08.19.2003

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess they didn't count the Rave DVD as a "live" DVD...
Prince Releases First Live DVD

Prince Live At The Aladdin Las Vegas DVD features 2002 Concert Of Prince Classics, Covers and Recent Songs Plus Special Guests Nikka Costa, Maceo Parker, and Sheila E/

Prince live performances are the stuff of which legends are made--and the first official DVD from his own NPG Music Club, Prince Live At The Aladdin Las Vegas (NPG Music Club/Hip-O Records), released August 19, 2003, is no exception. Recorded December 15, 2002, during the Las Vegas stop on his most recent tour, the approximately 80-minute Prince Live At The Aladdin Las Vegas brings the Prince experience home.

The concert headlining Prince and the NPG (New Power Generation) also features special guests Nikka Costa, Maceo Parker and Sheila E. With Parker on sax and long-time Prince compatriot Sheila E. on percussion, Prince is backed by a band of bassist Rhonda Smith, keyboardist Renato Neto, trombonist Greg Boyer, saxman Eric Leeds and drummer John Blackwell. Brilliant musician, charismatic performer and one of pop’s most influential figures, Prince takes his blazing guitar in hand and rocks the house for several thousand fans.

Delving into his classic ‘80s era, the party is on as he performs full-blown renditions of "Gotta Broken (Heart) Again" (originally heard on 1980’s Dirty Mind), "Take Me With U" (from 1984’s Purple Rain), "Pop Life" (from 1985’s Around The World In A Day), "Sometimes It Snows In April" (from 1986’s Parade, which was also the soundtrack to Under The Cherry Moon), "Strange Relationship" (from 1987’s Sign O’ The Times) and a brief "Money Don’t Matter 2 Night" (from 1991’s Diamonds And Pearls) segues into "The Work" (from The Rainbow Children). "1+1+1=3" includes the Ohio Players’ masterpiece "Love Rollercoaster" and Prince’s own "Housequake" (from Sign O’ The Times). An excerpt from a yet-to-be-released song, "U Want Me," is attached to another Diamonds And Pearls track, "Strollin’."

Three more recent recordings get the Princely treatment as well: "Family Name" and "The Everlasting Now" from 2001’s The Rainbow Children, and a bonus clip of "The Ride" from 1998’s Crystal Ball. In addition, Costa joins him on "Push And Pull" from her 2001 U.S. debut Everybody Got Their Something. Prince and crew also cover "Pass The Peas," the vintage number from The JB’s, James Brown’s backing band which included Parker, and Led Zeppelin’s psychedelic rocker "Whole Lotta Love."

Prince Live At The Aladdin Las Vegas follows the June release via the NPG Music Club of his latest album, N.E.W.S., which contains only four songs, "North," "East," "West" and "South," each clocking in at 14 minutes. N.E.W.S. is Prince’s first album of new material since The Rainbow Children, another concept album originally released through his npgmusicclub.com Web site.
Here's what he played that night:
  • the Rainbow Children
  • Pop Life
  • *Xenophobia/Prince and the Band
  • *Power Fantastic
  • Money Don't Matter 2Night [short]
  • the Work
  • Push And Pull [Nikka Costa on vocals]
  • *Purple Rain
  • the Ride
  • 1+1+1=3 / Love Rollercoaster / Housequake
  • Question Of U
  • Strollin' - U Want Me
  • Gotta Broken Heart Again
  • Strange Relationship
  • Pass the Peas
  • Whole Lotta Love
  • Family Name
  • Take Me With U
  • Everlasting Now
  • the Beautiful Ones
  • Adore
  • Diamonds And Pearls
  • Condition Of the Heart
  • Under the Cherry Moon
  • *the Beautiful Ones [full version]
  • Nothing Compares 2 U
  • *the Ladder
  • Starfish And Coffee
  • Sometimes It Snows In April
  • *All the Critics Love U In Las Vegas / Alphabet St. / 777-9311 / the Stick
  • Days of Wild
For reasons that i'm SURE make sense ONLY to Prince, the song titles in italics are NOT going to be on the DVD.
Old 07-18-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
I'll be getting this... thanks for the 411
Old 07-18-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Any other specs (5.1, extras, anamorphic) or list price? What about the songs not detailed in the specs above? For example, is Starfish & Coffee the full song or just a portion? I was disappointed that it wasn't the full song on the recent live box set release.
Old 07-18-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Only 80 minutes and not the full show. No thanks. After doing it right with the recent live box set, Prince screws up again.